CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Denman Brush Reservations

+13
Sequoia
natural83
akaprincess00
laleepop14
MsLala
Sebastain13
Niqui36
letha
SummerSkye
courtrhapsody
Curlock Holmes
Renny
Ms.Fenty
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Denman Brush Reservations Empty Denman Brush Reservations

Post by Ms.Fenty 7th November 2010, 1:28 pm

I have seen plenty of naturals and transitioners rave about their denman, and in the beginning of my journey I bought a denman-like brush (the goody jojoba brush) because I didn't want to spend the money for a real denman. Anyway, after a few uses I stopped using it because I felt that it was pulling too much of my hair out but I still thought the real denman would probably be better. So I just watched a video showing how to modify your Denman brush and after seeing the rows pulled out, they really just look like fine toothed combs. Everyone says to stay away from fine-toothed combs and yet (to me) a denman brush seems like rows of fine toothed combs w/a handle.

Is there a difference that I'm just not seeing? is it better because there is more than one row? I'm curious because I've been considering getting one lately (after I BC though)
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Denman Brush Reservations Empty Re: Denman Brush Reservations

Post by Renny 7th November 2010, 1:35 pm

Hi Ms. Fenty,

IMO, there's a difference you're not seeing. The Denman is nothing like a fine tooth comb and I'm thinking it's the material the bristles are made of. They're pliable and they give as they move with my hair, unlike a comb which is stiff and rigid. I love my Denman. I never lose hair when using it and it defines my curls beautifully.

You can get one at Sally's for $9.00.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 7th November 2010, 5:15 pm

The Denman (even the modified version) gave me a ton of split ends. I don't use it anymore.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 7th November 2010, 5:19 pm

I've heard very mixed reviews, but I love mine. I only detangle with the denman, it snags my hair much less than even a wide toothed comb. I don't know why but it has a very smooth sweep through the hair (I only use it with conditioner in my hair).
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 7:33 pm

The Denman isn't for everyone. I only use it after I have detangled with a shower comb. I wait to use it until my hair is damp now for the sole purpose of distributing product through my already detangled hair.

I don't think the real Denman will be any better than the fake one as far as how much hair is being pulled out.

I have taken out some rows on my brush. It's not a fine tooth comb but those rows were a lil too close for me. It may just be a psychological thing!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

http://plumspectacles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 17th November 2010, 1:06 am

So, I decided that I will probably try the denman brush after all, mainly because my wide-tooth combs don't seem to be able to smooth out my hair enough. I have a few small all natural sections that I twist up on wash day, and my ends don't quite feel smooth enough. I guess it's something I'd have to try for myself.

Anyway I saw this post on The Moptop Maven today: http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/11/all-about-hair-how-to-use-denman.html about the denman brush and the different types and uses, so I'll probably go for one that has the teeth set wide apart. Still not ok w/the price though, and I've never seen it at my local Sally's, so I'll most likely have to get it online. Rolling Eyes
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 9:47 am

I have one from Sallys and the brush is starting to slide away from the base of the brush. That is my only problem with using mine.. I might have to end up getting another one if it keeps slipping on me.. I lose a little bit of hair but not a lot and I make sure to take my time.. I detangle with my big comb and then I use the denman to work certain areas.
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 17th November 2010, 10:12 am

Mine starts to slide away from the base as I use it too, but I think its just from product in the hair. I use mine with conditioner or something in my hair and I think that just gets on the brush and makes it slippery.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 17th November 2010, 11:59 am

Dont have a Denman but jus wondering do u have to have a certain hair lenghth to use the brush I have about 3in of hair it does get tangled but I jus use a pic w/lots of condish to get them out
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLala 18th November 2010, 1:12 am

I use a fine tooth comb a couple times a month to get out shed hairs. I hate the denman and find that a comb works better.
MsLala
MsLala

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 19th November 2010, 12:10 pm

I have the Denman Paddle Brush and love it, I cant speak for the other ones that everyone loves. But by accident I bought the paddle brush and love it... Its pretty amazing for detangling...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by akaprincess00 19th November 2010, 6:02 pm

I was weary about trying out the Denman but took the plunge this summer. I followed Moptop Maven's directions on modifying it by removing some of the rows. Works great at detangling for me & really makes my curls pop!
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 19th November 2010, 10:55 pm

Hey guys, I've been meaning to get a Denman brush, just to try it out and see if my hair will respond well to it or not. Where are you guys getting them from? I know they come in different sizes as well...does that matter? I went online and looked at some and was leaning more towards the Denman-D4 brush. Just thought I'd chime in with you all first before I take the plunge!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 21st November 2010, 5:23 am

P.S. to my previous posting....I went and bought a Denman brush today at Sally's. Haven't tried it out yet, but hopefully I'll like it!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 22nd November 2010, 3:10 am

I recently stopped using my Denman because it was breaking off my hair around the edges No
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 22nd November 2010, 11:55 am

natural83 wrote:P.S. to my previous posting....I went and bought a Denman brush today at Sally's. Haven't tried it out yet, but hopefully I'll like it!

Which one did you get?
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 22nd November 2010, 2:02 pm

Niqui36 wrote:Mine starts to slide away from the base as I use it too, but I think its just from product in the hair. I use mine with conditioner or something in my hair and I think that just gets on the brush and makes it slippery.

Ok I will wait b4 I get another one but I do have my eye on the paddle brush one
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 22nd November 2010, 2:10 pm

laleepop14 wrote:
natural83 wrote:P.S. to my previous posting....I went and bought a Denman brush today at Sally's. Haven't tried it out yet, but hopefully I'll like it!

Which one did you get?

@laleepop14 I bought the D3. Actually, that's the only type they had. I originally wanted to get the D4, but they didn't have it in stock, so I got the D3, which I think will work just as well cuz its for medium to long length hair.
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 22nd November 2010, 2:21 pm

how does a paddle brush and the denman differ in terms of being gentler to your hair? I feel like they both have closely spaced bristles, so they can both do harm...
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 23rd November 2010, 1:56 am

I love my denman! I only use it for styling though. Too harsh for regular detangling. I want to get the paddle brush next.

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by kulem 23rd November 2010, 10:44 am

I have the D83 Denman large paddle brush and it works great. I think that it really depends on what Denman brush you're getting. I think that the large paddle is the best, I've had no issues with too much hair coming out. Detangling with a comb does not work for me.
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Post by kulem 23rd November 2010, 10:49 am

Curlock Holmes

The Denman has a paddle brush, it is much gentler on your head then a regular brush, even a knock off Denman (I've tried the knock offs, their bristles are not as soft and pliable). Plus the Denman has a cushion that and that helps too.
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 23rd November 2010, 3:09 pm

I really like my Denman but I only use it once a week and in a strict order. I ALWAYS load my hair with condish., then detangle w/ my fingers, add more condish. and detangle w/ my shower comb, then add more condish. and use my Denman. I really like it because it gets rid of all my shed hairs. I'm going through postpartum shedding and so this is even more necessary b/c I'm finding that my hair is more tangled than usual b/c all these extra shed hairs are getting caught up in my hair. And to me if it's shed theres no use hanging on...get rid of it. The Denman is great for that. And it gives a good scalp massage which I like.
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)

Back to top Go down

Post by DeltaAce2006 23rd November 2010, 4:59 pm

I loooove my Denman!!! i detangle under the shower water w/ my fingers. Then, if i want a more defined look, i user my denman w/ eco-styler gel. and i make sure to do it in small sections, and the hair has to rub against the rubber part of the brush for it to look right for my hair.

I personally havent had any hair loss problems w/ it..maybe a few hairs shedding here or there, but nothing to be alarmed about. i bought it from Sallys for about $9.
DeltaAce2006
DeltaAce2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 24th November 2010, 8:52 am

I got a paddle brush from Target and tried it for the first time last night. I loved it! It was much more gentle on my hair than the regular denman brush. I used it on "dry" hair though. I sprayed section by section with a little water, loaded on some afro detangler and vatika oil, then used my ouidad comb, then the paddle brush. Then I twisted the section. Easiest detangling I've ever done!
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next