CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks?

4 posters

Go down

Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks? Empty Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks?

Post by Stephy0306 29th October 2010, 11:57 am

Hi ladies.... Very Happy Yes I knowwww we dont suppose to really be straightening out hair with heat while we are going through the process of Transitioning but i find myself getting tired of doing my hair and trying to do hairstyles. Somedays the hairstyles come out great and sometimes they dont come out so great. So no im not going to put a relaxer and still stick to going natural but i want to take a different approach with hairstyles. I plan on getting blow outs at the salon every two weeks but also keeping a hair regimen so my hair wont get damaged:

Hair Regimen
Deep Conditioner every 2 weeks

Do not let the beautician blow out my hair alot and just the roots

keep it moisturized as much as possible
I just need a hairstyle i can just wrap and comb down and thats it while going to college and taking care of my daughter. I dont really want to get braids because they cost alot which i cant afford right now and my hair in cornrows do not last for so long. So do ya think my hair regimen should work out fine? Its not that i think straight hair is better i jsut want a hairstyle that is manageable for right now until my hair grows out more.

Stephy0306

Back to top Go down

Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks? Empty Re: Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks?

Post by mrsrenaissance 29th October 2010, 11:13 pm

I think it depends on the stylist. I have 2 friends who transitioned successfully (without heat damage) by getting blow outs regularly. At the time they were living in DC.

Where we live now Dominican salons have been popping up everywhere the last few yrs. The same friends say they're still different from the ones they frequented & the stylists use more heat (at least the ones they tried). I used to get blow outs once in a while when I was relaxed, but even then I was concerned about the heat, & how rough they were. Once I started transitioning the owner of the salon I frequented whenever I wanted a blow out (my usual style was roller sets) flat out told me that my hair was going to break off if I kept getting blow outs during the process so I stopped going.

Your new growth & where the relaxed hair meets is going to be delicate so I don't think just having the roots blown out will actually make a big difference. Too much heat will still be damaging.

Also, the problem w/getting your hair blown out all the time is that you will never learn how to do your natural hair yourself.

I hate to sound discouraging, but just my thoughts. Good luck w/your decision!
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks? Empty Re: Getting A Dominican Blow every 2 weeks?

Post by Stephy0306 30th October 2010, 2:02 pm

ok thx, i think i will only get blow outs during the holidays that r coming and for now just do protective hairstyles.

Stephy0306

Back to top Go down

Post by BriaBeauty 30th October 2010, 6:54 pm

What makes Dominican salons so special?, alot of fourm members are discussing them. I'm just wondering, are they different from other salons? In what ways?

BriaBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephy0306 30th October 2010, 7:01 pm

its just that they blow dry your hair really good to make it bouncy, flowing hair, even if u dont have hair like tht they give u tht look to appear like your hair has those things. lol well thts why i like it.

Stephy0306

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 30th October 2010, 8:22 pm

I'd say be careful, and it really depends on who does your hair. The one time I got my hair blown out in this fashion (in Chicago the Dominican 'equivalent' are the Egyptian hair stylists/blow outs), good LORD i could have just sat there and CRIED while the guy was blow drying my hair! I would have bet money that hellfire was coming out of that blow dryer and its brand name was 'Hades'. I never went back again, I couldn't handle the pulling and the heat.

So, just be careful about who does your hair and be wary and watchful of breakage and heat damage!

Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down