CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Dominican Blow Out

+5
PaganWifey
NaturalNixon
luvaffairwithbighair
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
ChrsLvsBks
9 posters

Go down

DIY Dominican Blow Out Empty DIY Dominican Blow Out

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th March 2010, 2:45 pm

Okay, I have a question. I watched a YT video the other day, and the host was blowdrying her roots with the round brush. I began to think. The ends of our hair is the oldest. So we do our best to baby them with moisturizers and oils to seal. Our newest hair is at our roots so it is the least or should be the least prone to damage, right? This leads to my overall question.

What do you think about using high heat on the roots to get a straight look? This is not something I would do often just once or twice a year. I will move the dryer around but the heat will be high. I will only direct the heat on the first couple of inches of hair at my roots. I will use heat protectants. I will use a rollerset to stretch my hair before blowdrying. I will not use a flat iron at any time.

Thoughts?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

DIY Dominican Blow Out Empty Re: DIY Dominican Blow Out

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 15th March 2010, 2:12 pm

Hmmmm...I think blow dryers are wretched on the hair. I have always had issues with blowdryers always.....they dry my hair out so bad....but I have fine strands.
But to me...my ceramic flat iron on med heat didnt do as much damage if I air dryed and flatironed 2 times a month. If you've never had a Dominican blowout----yeesh. I mean the heat will sear the skin.....nothin nice. I would recommend the flat iron....... Neutral
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by luvaffairwithbighair 15th March 2010, 2:18 pm

I think if you want a diy dominican blowout, you should go for it, but do so wisely.

I know many naturals are concerned about destroying their curl pattern by straightening, but I know more and more ppl who straighten natural hair and still retain their curl.

To do a diy dominican blowout, you may want to try using a denman straightening brush when you blow dry. Currently I'm 5mths into my transition, but my stylist used the denman brush to straighten my hair before I started my transition when I was in between relaxers. The brush worked so well that I went from getting a relaxer every 6wks to eventually getting a relaxer every 12 weeks. When I saw that I could go that long without a relaxer, I made the decision to go completely natural.

Using the brush should help get the hair straight faster, so you dont have to apply as much heat, and adding the protectant should protect your curl.

Link to brush--http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Straightening.html

Additionally, I've heard that mizani thermasmooth is a good product line for naturals who want to straighten their hair. One of my best friends swears by this and her hair looks phenomenal.

Here's a link below explaining how the system works. http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=35&rid=100

Mizani products are slightly expesive, so if you don't foresee yourself doing this often, you may want to find a stylist who's comfortable using the system and has experience straightening natural hair.

Good luck!! Post pics if decide to do this!!

luvaffairwithbighair

Back to top Go down

Post by luvaffairwithbighair 15th March 2010, 2:21 pm

I think if you want a diy dominican blowout, you should go for it, but do so wisely.

I know many naturals are concerned about destroying their curl pattern by straightening, but I know more and more ppl who straighten natural hair and still retain their curl.

To do a diy dominican blowout, you may want to try using a denman straightening brush when you blow dry. Currently I'm 5mths into my transition, but my stylist used the denman brush to straighten my hair before I started my transition when I was in between relaxers. The brush worked so well that I went from getting a relaxer every 6wks to eventually getting a relaxer every 12 weeks. When I saw that I could go that long without a relaxer, I made the decision to go completely natural.

Using the brush should help get the hair straight faster, so you dont have to apply as much heat, and adding the protectant should protect your curl.

Link to brush--http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Straightening.html

Additionally, I've heard that mizani thermasmooth is a good product line for naturals who want to straighten their hair. One of my best friends swears by this and her hair looks phenomenal.

Here's a link below explaining how the system works. http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=35&rid=100

Mizani products are slightly expesive, so if you don't foresee yourself doing this often, you may want to find a stylist who's comfortable using the system and has experience straightening natural hair.

Good luck!! Post pics if decide to do this!!

luvaffairwithbighair

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th March 2010, 5:07 pm

Thanks ladies! I appreciate it. I am thinking of doing it in a month. I will let you know how it goes should I decide to try it. I may have to invest in the D79 denman, thanks for posting the link for that and Mizani, luvaffairwithbighair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNixon 15th March 2010, 5:51 pm

Chrs my stylist use the denman brush as well and the natural ladies that she do also don't have problems with their curls reverting back. she also uses a heat protectant.

The Mizani system look great as well for those wanting to wear their natural hair straight.
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 7:31 pm

It would make me nervous but I have lazy arms and so I wouldn't be 100% the whole time.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 16th March 2010, 1:38 pm

A Dominican blowout is extremely hot. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I felt like my scalp was going to burn off and had to apologize to my hair for permitting it to be tortured like that. Opt for the silk wrap that has been featured on YT and a personal vid by Mahogany Curls. Less heat with the same effect.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyLizzie 27th October 2010, 2:43 pm

I have been doing Dominican blow outs for 2 yrs now and it has altered my natural curl pattern. If the roller set is done right Then the amount of heat needed for the blower is much.

Here is a good video that shows the Dominican blow out in a healthy way with out alot of heat from the blower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-t-Fok6Cv0

I personally love the DBO for straightening my hair. The flat iron will change your curls if you use it to much. We need good truthful, experienced comments on this.

FrizzyLizzie

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 27th October 2010, 3:56 pm

@ If you decide to get a DBO please let me know how it turns out b/c I'm considering getting a DBO for my 1 yr mark of not using direct heat on my hair.
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 27th October 2010, 4:03 pm

I agree with you about the roots--I've been thinking the same thing. I'm actually more concerned with the roots being straight than the ends, b/c I'm tucking those under. If I could figure out a way to get straight roots, I'd jump on it (I'm really not coordinated enough to blow out my hair with a brush).

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyLizzie 27th October 2010, 4:34 pm

let me know how it turns out! Very Happy

FrizzyLizzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down