CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want color!!!!!

+10
blkbeauty2010
Sweet Tee
CrissyQ
naturalblkbeauty10
KinkyNappyHappy
Free2Be
natchralme
FalconTress
Curlock Holmes
rayray19
14 posters

Go down

I want color!!!!! Empty I want color!!!!!

Post by rayray19 29th October 2010, 2:35 am

ok so im almost 3 months natural!! and to celebrate and spice up my hair i want to add some color to my twa!!

now the question is what color???..I'm a beautiful dark skin RICH chocolate complexion..so ladies what colors do you think will compliment me?? and if anybody else has colored their hair please feel free to add pics of your results..

oh yea i hate burgundy so that's out of the questions for me...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this is a pic of me and my hair now..its solid jet black!! i love dark colors..so i guess im looking for a color that's somewhat dark but brighter then black ( like a nice brown)
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

I want color!!!!! Empty Re: I want color!!!!!

Post by Curlock Holmes 29th October 2010, 3:12 am

i can't find any decent pictures but how about a dark brown with a hint of red? I think that tends to look nice and rich on our skin tones.

One suggestion that I saw on another topic (it was about wig buying but I think it's applicable)- if there's a shop where you could perhaps try on different color wigs and see which colors complement you, that could help you figure out what color you'd like and what complements you the most.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 29th October 2010, 3:23 am

yea im thinking about a dark brown too..and wow thats a really good idea..i mite do that 2morrow before i buy anything
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 29th October 2010, 10:49 am

I suggest that you go try on some wigs to get an idea of what suits you best.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by natchralme 29th October 2010, 1:12 pm

Also, Google "what color to dye my hair". I just did it. There's a whole lot of info that comes up that you might find useful.
natchralme
natchralme

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 29th October 2010, 2:32 pm

I think it's funny that you said "No burgandy" because that's what so many naturals I've seen have in their hair. LOL

ITA about trying on wigs to check out shades directly on your head. Also, are you planning to do it yourself or go to a salon? A salon could mix a few colors for you to get exactly the shade you want. Whereas you might feel a bit hesitant to mix them yourself at home.

Good luck! I can't wait to see pix. I want to get some color as well.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 29th October 2010, 6:40 pm

Free2Be wrote:I think it's funny that you said "No burgandy" because that's what so many naturals I've seen have in their hair. LOL

ITA about trying on wigs to check out shades directly on your head. Also, are you planning to do it yourself or go to a salon? A salon could mix a few colors for you to get exactly the shade you want. Whereas you might feel a bit hesitant to mix them yourself at home.

Good luck! I can't wait to see pix. I want to get some color as well.

yea i had burgundy before (in high school) and i felt it made me look "ghetto"...so im sticking to more natural colors like browns

and i plan on doing it myself (cuz im kinda broke lol) but i will post up pics!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 29th October 2010, 11:40 pm

ok yall so i decided to dye my hair spice auburn!!! i just put it in and its taking forever to change color since my hair was soo black..hopefully some color show..but i will post pic later of my results

thanks for the help!!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 30th October 2010, 3:27 am

ok so let me tell yall about my horrific coloring experience!! so i bought the semi permanet spice auburn..applied it..and saw no difference!! my hair was still as dark as night..it maybe had a red hue to it but no color..so by then i was fenin for some color so i went back to walmart and got a permant copper color..yes yall i applied and semi-permanent and a permenant color in my hair at the same time lol (i DC in between them..i have strong hair so im confident she can take the chemicals)

ok so the copper color was working..finnaly a color was turning my hair!!! so after 30 min i rinsed it out annnnnd.. Mad the only thing with color was my roots..the cooper had yet to even start coloring my hair..(I have real thick hair)..soooo (yall are gonna kill me for this one!!)

I grab the applicator bottle and squeezed whatever left copper i had back on my HAIR!! yes i did!! lol so now im waiting impatiently for my hair to turn the same color as my roots..i mite have to run back to walmart and get some more..

i should of just went to a salon..but i didnt tryin to be cheap so time to make the best of it

wish my luck ladies lol
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 30th October 2010, 8:52 am

ok so i woke up this morning..and surprisingly my hair was not dry..i decided though that color is not for me and will be rising my roots with a black rinse today..when in doubt always go black..me and my hair will be n recovery mode for a couple weeks for all these chemicals..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 30th October 2010, 11:29 am

Hey rayray...

I guess because of the heat from our scalp when we color the roots become much lighter that the rest of our hair!! I colored last December and I wish I hadn't...

Good luck with your recovery!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalblkbeauty10 30th October 2010, 11:42 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey rayray...

I guess because of the heat from our scalp when we color the roots become much lighter that the rest of our hair!! I colored last December and I wish I hadn't...

Good luck with your recovery!!!

oh same here, i colored my hair around my 3 month mark, now im tired of it. i can't wait for it to grow out. i did apply a black rinse but i guess i wash my hair too much and it was rinsed out within a week
naturalblkbeauty10
naturalblkbeauty10

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 30th October 2010, 12:58 pm

I colored(honey blonde) my hair alot when I was a permie and i did it once when i was natural. i promised i will never do it again, its not for my hair. I used a rinse this time and guess what, i am tired of this color. its taking forever to wash out. I will nto dye again, i will stick to my rinses because they are not permenant.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 30th October 2010, 1:06 pm

Last time I colored it dried my hair out.

Took me a week to get it straight again.

Won't do it again, but I do like color
and I have grays.

I'll figure something out...
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 30th October 2010, 1:56 pm

yea i think ill leave coloring alone now..and just stick with my black rinses..its really hard to color natural hair because it so thick!! my relax hair took color in seconds
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 30th October 2010, 3:39 pm

i want color SOOOO BADDDDD Sad but my cousin did it and the next day she said it changed the texture of her hair and she didnt like to feel of it (the color was bangin tho). For those who have colored what are the do's and dont's. I'll probably go to a salon (even though it will take me months to wiggle that into my budget) but my naturally jet black hair looked like a quick weave or wig when permed and now just a big black bush. Any thoughts or even products juc someone else is considering a home treatment
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 30th October 2010, 3:50 pm

@ BlkBeauty-

YES!! It did change the texture/curl pattern + dried it out!

I know this may be a BIG NO-NO,
but what say you about peroxide/water spray
for gradual color lift?

I have tried this before, but nothing happened
(I didn't do it for a long enough period of time
so I had no color change).
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th October 2010, 8:52 pm

My hair is colored (professionally) I haven't changed my routine at all and my hair is not dry. I will say that I would never attempt to do it myself..just not confident enough for that. I absolutely make sure I deep condition weekly. No excuses!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by LyricurLLy 2nd November 2010, 7:18 pm

@ Sweetdrk1 Do you know what products the "professional" used? I'm lovin' your color! I called to make an appointment for an Aveda consultation later this week. My issue is that I've been using henna though since March. We shall see what they say.

What about highlights? Has anyone tried highlights? I had some on my straightened hair years ago (many many moons) and liked them a lot as they were growing out. They created such depth.
LyricurLLy
LyricurLLy

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 2nd November 2010, 7:40 pm

I tried highlights earlier this year... to be fair, I wasn't using the right products in my hair so it was dry, but I can tell that there is breakage in the highlighted areas. I still have them so I know it didn't mess up all of my hair. I want to get them again, but only when my hair is healthy and my diet and water intake is on point. Also instead of chunks of highlights in the crown, I want them all over just to add dimension to my hair.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 2nd November 2010, 9:33 pm

LyricurLLy wrote:@ Sweetdrk1 Do you know what products the "professional" used? I'm lovin' your color! I called to make an appointment for an Aveda consultation later this week. My issue is that I've been using henna though since March. We shall see what they say.

What about highlights? Has anyone tried highlights? I had some on my straightened hair years ago (many many moons) and liked them a lot as they were growing out. They created such depth.
I will ask for you and I have highlight too! I am with I love the drama highlights bring! Very Happy
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by EllaMomi2002 2nd November 2010, 11:45 pm

@sweetdrk1 I love, love, love your hair color!!! I would like to get some color too, but alas I'm too afraid. When I was relaxed the color really thinned out my hair.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 3rd November 2010, 12:32 am

I colored mines and it does dry it out. I think this applys to both natural and permed hair though so it is really nothing new to me. However, I can tell with natural hair, if it gets too dry the hair will stick together and become like a hard texture so dc'n is a major must and oils. As long as I keep putting oils and deep conditioning I will be find. I haven't had breakage. I love my colors because I think I look sick without them. I am so young with grey hairs so it is really hard for me not to have a color. It does change the texture as well to me. I am currently trying to find a good deep conditioner and a great oil. I just maintain the two stranded twists every night with the help of cantu leave in. I love it!
psbest
psbest

https://www.facebook.com/psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 3rd November 2010, 12:38 am

Some of the colors at walmart will not work. I had to use a blonde color to really change my hair. I used the sorta red looking one and it lasted no time with the conditioners and moisturizers. I will post pics.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 3rd November 2010, 12:45 am

This is my one month after applying the redish color to it. Notice that that there is not a bit of red showing so I was a little pissed so I waited until the next month (last month) to color it with this blonde color.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Weeks later I am still satisfied with this color. I think by applying a red rinse, the rinse will now stick to the blonde and show up and last better/longer. : [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope this helps!
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down