CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Color Anyone?

+8
sweetdrk1
StacyB
CostaKink
A85
Maria Antoinette
Pinkrage
nmoultry
back2nap1120
12 posters

Go down

Color Anyone? Empty Color Anyone?

Post by back2nap1120 15th November 2009, 8:44 pm

Hello my fellow curly buddies!! I'm new to this site though I have been stalking it for a while now. I have a quick question/topic that I would like to discuss with you and I would love if I could get some feedback. November 20 will be my 1 year naturaversary and Im so excited and extremely proud of myself. Over the past year I have put absolutely no heat in my hair at all. Now that I have had a year to get to know my hair and understand what it likes and doesnt like, I have been deeply considering coloring my hair. I would love for it to be a birthday present, if you will.

Im terrified to color my hair, though. Ive heard that it will alter my curl pattern, Ive heard that it will damage my hair, Ive heard that it will semi straighten my hair.....and so on. When I was relaxed I colored my hair 2 or 3 times, so Im not afraid of the color aspect. Im more afraid of what it will do to my natural hair. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice? Maybe you are a natural girl who is also a colored gal....Please help!!!

And also I would like your input of which color I should go with. Im definitely bold so Im not afraid to go golden blondish brown, or even a red tone! Does anyone know of a site that I can go to to look at other naturals with color for inspiration. Thanks dolls!!
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Color Anyone? Empty Re: Color Anyone?

Post by nmoultry 15th November 2009, 8:49 pm

Hello there, welcome to the forum. I'm a natural with hi-lites. I haven't had issues nor have I seen a difference in my curl pattern. I get my hair professionally hi-lited every 6 months. I wouldn't advise you to do it yourself. If you're going to to it go to a stylist you trust. Post pics if you decide to do it

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 15th November 2009, 11:25 pm

HI,

I am actually getting my hair highlighted(HALO...not entire head) on Nov. 24th. I will post pics.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antoinette 16th November 2009, 2:16 am

Hello,

I am also new to curlynikki.com, I am a cosmetologist and I am and in the process of writing a forum about color and the pros and cons in natural hair.

I am currently and have always colored my natural hair..so this is my thang...lol!

I have some questions for you then I can guide you correctly into the right color and tones for you and your natural crown:

- What color would you say your natural hair is now? and when you where a child? I am asking this to see how light you can go without damage. I have found that people with naturally dark hair can not handle bleach and or lighter levels of color..because it is taking the natural hair to an extreme lighter level and opens the hair cuticle to much, which causes breakage. Now I have bleach and my hair is fine(curl pattern did loosen but it is still curly. As a child my hair was sandy brown/blonde....this is important to know because it allowed me to know I can take the drastic degree of level change due to having a lighter level of hair naturally.

- How thick is your hair? and how course? If you have finer hair..color will fill it out which is great..gives the illusion of a head full..lol!!! if you are already thick and have corse hair color can also add more control and give a smoother appearance in your sets.

- Is there any damage on your ends? If so trim before or as soon as color is done to prevent continued splitting up the hair shaft.

I know that was probally a lot...I hope it helps. Color can be scary but oh so worth it!!! Very Happy

Maria Antoinette
Maria Antoinette
Maria Antoinette

Back to top Go down

Post by back2nap1120 16th November 2009, 7:05 pm

Omg thank you all so much for ur responses.

Maria Antoinette-I'm so glad u replied since ur the professional!! My hair is naturally very dark. I have very soft fine hair that's not at all course. I don't think I have damaged ends but I can always trim them that's no prob.. Umm the colors I want are either a red tone or honey blondish coppery.... I plan on posting pics of myself soon so u all can tell me what color u think will look best on me taking into consideration my features, skin tone, etc...

Thank u loves!!!
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antoinette 17th November 2009, 1:22 am

Well no problem!!!

With fine hair I think blondes do wonders...those are both such different tones...have to see your skin to determine...I am bias to blondes and browns but that is just me...lol!!!

Can't wait to see the pics...oh yeah, blondes don't necessarily mean bleach!!! You have soo many options...so excited for you!!!

Peace, love and hair grease!!!
Maria Antoinette
Maria Antoinette

Back to top Go down

Post by back2nap1120 17th November 2009, 4:21 am

Hey ladies. So here are some pics of me and my hair. Please help me make a color choice!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

][[url=https://servimg.com/view/14551163/12][/urlimg]https://i.servimg.com/u/f85/14/55/11/63/100_0413.jpg[/img]][/urlimg]https://i.servimg.com/u/f85/14/55/11/63/100_0413.jpg[/img]][[url=https://servimg.com/view/14551163/12][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/urlimg]https://i.servimg.com/u/f85/14/55/11/63/100_0413.jpg[/img]

Thanks!!
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Post by A85 18th November 2009, 5:58 pm

I color my hair as well and I have not seen any difference in curl pattern but everyone is different...Just make sure you use a really good deep conditioner after you color and that your hair is in a healthy state when you decide to color.

Also I know I read something about looking at the undertones in ur skin to find out wat colors would look good on you i will see if i can find it.

I really do like the deep black color of ur hair tho [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A85
A85

Back to top Go down

Color Anyone? Empty color

Post by CostaKink 18th November 2009, 6:36 pm

Hey! I've actually colored my hair twice; once when I had a perm and now. The first color I had was cinnamon brown. Loved the color!!! The color I have recently is called golden auburn. The color actually looked like a dark auburn at first but since the sun has lighten.I must admit color can be damaging, but that's only if you don't take care of it.I've been told that Aveda hair dyes are natural so maybe you should try those. bglhonline.com has a page for coloring so you can check there for more detail. I hope that helped!!! Have fun with the color and post pics if you decide to go throught with it.
Laterrrr
CostaKink
CostaKink

http://www.loudmouth269@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by back2nap1120 18th November 2009, 9:03 pm

A85-Thanks for your response. I love my dark hair too and you saying that makes it soooo much harder!!! I love the color of your hair in your avatar. I have heard the thing about the undertones, but I have no idea what mine are!! I need to research that one because Ive had a hard time color matching for foundation too....

Costakink-Im thinking the golden auburn probably is beautiful. It sounds beautiful. Thanks for the web link. Im gonna check it out right now!!!
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 24th November 2009, 7:56 pm

Ok so I colored my hair approximately 6 months after I did BC. I did not have any problems and I loved the color. But it is now a year later and I am waiting for it to grow out. If I decide to color it again it will be awhile because I realized my uncolored hair ("new growth" so to say) hold moisture more than the colored ends. The colored ends also seems drier at times. I don't have any major issues with it or complaints but just the time it takes to grow out. I like to change thing up and I don't want to add another color or do anything else dramatic to my hair until the grow out.

But to sum up my post (sorry I'm pretty long-winded) color did not affect my hair negatively at all. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by back2nap1120 28th November 2009, 3:53 pm

Hello Beauties!! I hope you all enjoyed your holiday!! I ate waayyy too much and was at the mall at 12:00 am!! I dont know what the heck I was thinking!

Anyway, I came to post pics of my new color. I will admit that at first I was freaked out by it. It didnt come out quite as red as I wanted it to and my hair felt weird. After my BC I spent that year nurturng and babying my hair. No heat, No chemicals, all natural products, etc....I felt as though I was damaging my curls. It felt a little brittle and dry. I didnt have my colorist style my hair because I knew that as soon as I colored it I wanted to go home and do some major reconstruction!!! Needless to say, its growing on me and my hair now feels as soft as it did the day I colored it.

Tell me what you guys think.
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th November 2009, 9:33 pm

ditto, I had my hair colored professionally and it's still soft, shiny and my curls will not be tamed..they spiral tight to my scalp. I love it!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by beauTifulcurls 30th November 2009, 12:13 am

What brand are you guys using? Are they over the counter or professional? I've used L'Oreal... but would love any suggestions. I'm going for a cinnamon brown color.

Also does anyone know if OTC hair color reacts with henna? I've just begun doing henna glosses not full treatments. But I'm a lil nervous for my next hair color touch up and if the henna will result in some random color. YIKES!
beauTifulcurls
beauTifulcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 30th November 2009, 12:24 am

i want to color my twa so bad and i had every intention to once i did my bc. now im skeptical becuz i dnt want it to be extra dry. if i wait to color in the spring/summer all i intend to do is wash n go's and i dnt want to dry it out even more...EEEEK!! what to do..i dnt want any shades of red cuz its so typical for light skin girls, dnt want no blondes cuz i KNOW im not gonna keep it up and hate when the roots start to show. i need a safe color to grow out in case i need to cut it off later, lol.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by divadr175 30th November 2009, 4:04 pm

SO after getting frustrated with my colored, straight ends, I did my BC. Now, I want to color the ends only for some pop. Crazy, huh? Thanks to this thread, I have some definite ideas of how to approach this next decision. Will let you know what I decide. Thanks!
divadr175
divadr175

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 30th November 2009, 6:31 pm

Cute cute cute! Love it back2nap1120! afro Glad it's back to it's soft fluffiness! It looks soft. I want to touch it hehe. My hair was the same after I colored it and I was so worried but all is well now!
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by back2nap1120 30th November 2009, 8:53 pm

Xtremelyperfect- Thank you much!! Yeah I actually HATED it at first. I had huge regrets but now I LOVE it! I almost wish I had gone a lil more bold. I think when I go back for my touch up I'll ask her to put some honey blond highlights in...

Another thing is that I have noticed that my curls are slightly looser than before I colored, which I happen to love. I love big chunky curly fros and twist outs and before i colored my
curls were extremely tight and I had so much shrinkage that
my fros and twist outs weren't as big as I wanted....
back2nap1120
back2nap1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down