CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best brand of..?

+2
naturallychelsea
6 posters

Go down

What is the best brand of..? Empty What is the best brand of..?

Post by naturallychelsea 28th October 2010, 6:19 pm

I really need help with finding the correct organic brands because there are so many out there that arn't the real deal. I would like to purchase online because I live in Canada which has zero on the ground products so website links will be well appreciated.

The List:
~Aloe vera gel (not juice)
~jamaican black castor oil
~coconut oil
~amla (I'm not sure in what form I should buy it I just know that It's good so I would love some clarification)
~brahmi (same deal as amla)
~glycerin
~grapeseed
~peppermint

Also, other naturals who would like to purchase other products could also use this link.

Thnx in advance for helping
Very Happy

Last edited by naturallychelsea on 28th October 2010, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

What is the best brand of..? Empty Re: What is the best brand of..?

Post by ... 28th October 2010, 6:31 pm

Aloe vera gel - Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly. The Fruit of the Earth brand dries my hair out, but this is pure aloe vera gel and it far surpasses the Fruit of the Earth.

Jamaican black castor oil - There are very few brands of this. There's Tropical Isle (from Sams24-7.com) and Sunny Isle (from jamaicanblackcastoroil.com). Tropical Isle seems to be the more popular brand.

Coconut oil - The Nutiva brand, hands down. Not all extra virgin oils are created the same, and this brand seems to be of the highest quality (to me).

Glycerin - The NOW brand is a popular one that you can find on-ground, but it doesn't really matter what brand you get as long as it's vegetable glycerin.

Grapeseed oil - I prefer the La Tourangelle brand (which you can find at Whole Foods and sometimes TJ Maxx or Marshalls).

I don't use amla, brahmi, or peppermint oil, so I wouldn't be able to advise you on those.

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 28th October 2010, 6:34 pm

thnx summer ruby will search for them now.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 28th October 2010, 6:45 pm

mountainroseherbs.com i love to rave about this site. i've only used them once far, but great service and great products. i will definitely continue to buy from them. They not only have a WHOLE LOT of natural stuff, but giovanni and aubrey organics as well, which i believe are both organic brands...

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 28th October 2010, 7:29 pm

What stores have you looked at in Toronto? I don't use those products straight (except for coconut oil) but I only buy organic products so I can definitely recommend some good stores to try.

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 28th October 2010, 9:23 pm

kekesmum I can't find any. People only refer me to black hair stores which to me only stock grease lol Razz Any way if you can recommend a few stores I would be very grateful.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 28th October 2010, 9:29 pm

swirly that sight is the ish!!! Thnx Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 28th October 2010, 9:52 pm

You can buy Jamaican Black Castor Oil at HoneyFig. The site is www.honeyfig.com and the store is at Yonge and Sheppard. I just went there for the first time this week and love it! And the ladies there were fabulous. If they don't sell what you're looking for they might know where it is.

I get a lot of my products at either Ambrosia in Thornhill or Your Good Health Store at The Shops at Don Mills (but there are stores around the city.) There is also Whole Foods in Yorkville, Noah's Natural Foods (a few in the city) The Big Carrot on the Danforth. They should sell coconut oil, grapeseed oil, peppermint oil, or aloe vera gel.

If you're in the west end you'll have to look up some of those places online, sorry I only know the east end! But I understand your difficulty in finding these products. It seems as though there is no one spot for them all in the city.

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 28th October 2010, 11:45 pm

naturallychelsea wrote:swirly that sight is the ish!!! Thnx Very Happy
IKR!!! Welcome Smile I love it!

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 29th October 2010, 12:26 am

As far as the amla and brahmi, I get mine in powder form. Buttersnbars has awesome selection, or you can get the Hesh brand from a local Indian market (assuming there's one near you)!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 29th October 2010, 1:22 am

@curlie how do you use your powders. Do you mix it into your hair products or apply and rinse out?
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 29th October 2010, 1:28 am

I keep it simple: just mix with warm water until the consistency is like pudding. If anything, I'll add an oil of choice and some aloe vera juice. That's it. Some add conditioner to their mixes as well. Check the aruyvedic challenge thread for more info and other mixes!!!! My hair particularly LOVES amla and maka!!!!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 29th October 2010, 11:37 am

just to clarify do you use your mixture as a DC?
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th October 2010, 1:10 pm

@naturallychelsea, I suggest using the powders, amla & brahmi. As curlie wrote, you may purchase them from butters-n-bars.com. You can also try amazon.com for all the purchases. I think they sell everything you want.

As for mixes, I keep it simple as well. I mix powders with water, tea or aloe vera juice/gel. After stirring and getting a consistency of mashed potatoes, I add oils. If you do not add oils, you can add liquid until powder is like pudding as curlie wrote.

Hope you the best on your quest for these products!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 29th October 2010, 1:59 pm

thnx chrs but what do you use your mix as, a moisturiser, a dc, for your scalp etc?
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down