CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping tangles and knots at bay

5 posters

Go down

Keeping tangles and knots at bay Empty Keeping tangles and knots at bay

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 5:32 pm

I have noticed a number of recent questions about eliminating tangles. So, I was thinking maybe the people who don't have a problem with tangles could post what they do to keep tangles/knots a non issue. Maybe this collection of routines may be a big help to those struggling! So, I will start. I use to lose alot of hair on wash day. I had big time headaches with tangles until I totally changed my game plan. Now, as close to no tangles as possible without it being zero!

1. Wash and condition in the shower (let gravity work its magic)
2. Wash and condition in sections
3. Very careful about the products I use to minimize use of something that contributes to tangles
4. Leave-in conditioner every time. I can give Kimmaytube leave-in 90% credit for the elimination of my tangles, because between the moisture of the aloe and the detangling qualities of the KCNT, absolutely no tangles and no combing between washes
5. Maintain proper moisture 24/7
6. Don't sleep with loose hair that can aimlessly wonder. Put it in a pineapple and bobby pin the ends so they are not exposed, twisted, or braided.
7. Carefully remove any sheadded hair on wash day so that won't create a tangling environment
8. Use a good conditioner after after wash

Nothing fancy.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Keeping tangles and knots at bay Empty Re: Keeping tangles and knots at bay

Post by naturallychelsea 24th October 2010, 6:03 pm

Great post naturalnolagirl1900
I have NO tangles whatsoever so I"ll be more than happy to share.
~I only apply shampoo to my scalp and massage my scalp using my fingertips being careful not to entangle my hair
~I then wring the suds out of my hair and applya little conditoner to my hair and rinse my hair.
~whilst I rinse my hair I lightly detangle it using a wide tooth comb and allowing the pressure of the water to help.
~I then apply conditioner generously and clip my hair up.
~after attending to showerly duties I detangle my hair in sections twisting the hair after. Should my hair give me trouble I simply wet the section to reactivate the conditioner.
~I rinse the conditoner out whilst my hair is in twists to prevent it from retangling
and there you have it
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 24th October 2010, 6:40 pm

I do pretty much the same thing as you two and I don't really have a problem with detangling. My issue is that I am tender headed! Any tips on that? Or is that something people just have to live with?
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 24th October 2010, 7:04 pm

No tangles and knots here either. I only have had problems when I've tried to detangle my 'fro (dry) after like 2 days.

1. I detangle on drenched, conditioned hair only in the shower. I shampoo first and 99% of the time I can detangle with just the shampoo. I then apply a palmful of conditioner to my whole head and let it sit while I complete my shower.

2. I use a rake comb to detangle and it slides right through all the time. I'm thinking about using a smaller comb because I think that would catch more hair than the rake, which is basically wide-toothed.

3. I always leave a conditioner on my hair prior to styling. It can be a regular rinse out conditioner or something specifically marketed as a "leave in".

4. I add oil or butter on top of my leave-in, and then maybe a styler, i.e. gel, pudding, hair milk, etc.

5. At night I smoosh more oil or butter into my hair and wear my satin bonnet or pull my hair into a baby pineapple and tie a scarf over all. In the morning I either start over (WNG) or add a little more oil/butter or leave-in by scrunching and begin to shape my fro.

That's it. No tangles. No knots.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 9:56 pm

Free2be maybe you can answer this question for me. I have thought of it, but haven't taken the time to research yet. Here it is: how do you decide which conditioner is safe to leave in if it doesn't specify that it is a leave in. My first thought is one without cones or parabens, but that is just a guess. Thanks for making this point.

Niqui, when you say "tender headed," what exactly do you mean? What causes this and when does it happen?

Chelsea - I never thought about shampooing only the scalp. Is clarifying a part of your routine to eliminate any possible build-up on the hair?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 24th October 2010, 10:03 pm

Well when I detangle my hair, mostly right beneath the crown where it is the thickest it hurts. Even though it detangles pretty easily, any amount of tugging/stretching/pulling hurts. I find myself cringing when I do that area, kind of like if you've ever had your hair braided and the person is braiding too tight. This is also the kinkiest part of my hair as well so I guess that could have something to do with it. IDK.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 24th October 2010, 10:30 pm

@naturalnolagirl1900
I shampoo every week (shock gasp I know Evil or Very Mad). The problem with my hair is that it gets really dull very quickly and I hat my hair to feel producty. Besides I find that my hair styles better when its fresh. And the reason I only shampoo the scalp is because that's the area that really needs cleansing and the shampoo will run over the hair regardless and cleanse it without striping it.

Also, if I may intervene when deciding on a conditioner to leave in my hair I usually just leave it in and see how it plays with my hair. Thus far I've tried HEHH which is very moisturising but takes an eternity plus a day to dry, Aussie moist which is still moisurising and has a normal drying time and some suaves which are neither here nor there.
HTH Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 24th October 2010, 11:08 pm

@naturalnolagirl1900 - My hair is very resilient, so I am not concerned with the ingredients in the conditioners I use as leave-ins regardless of their original design. I have used every conditioner I own as a leave-in at some point this past year and I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever.

When I was relaxed I'd never heard of using a leave-in conditioner, so the change in the health of my hair just adding that to my routine is a hundredfold better than before. Conditioner is my new BFF. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 11:17 pm

Girl - you are super blessed! Me, well that is another story. My first name should have been sensitive! But, you use what you have! Thanks.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 24th October 2010, 11:18 pm

lol at naturalnolagirl1900
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 11:25 pm

Chelsea, What is the weather like in Toronto right now. I was there in July. I love, love, love to visit. That was my second time and I loved it more than the first.

So, glad you posted her too because the ladies in the colder climates will have someone other that what we southern girls are doing.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 24th October 2010, 11:30 pm

Well today I went out in a winter coat. I won't lie it was COLD,not as bad as it's gonna get but it was rainy and windy. I love Canada during the summer and detest it for it's winters.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 11:32 pm

Make sure you have a satin or silk scarf under your hat/cap/headgear this winter. Don't want all your great hair efforts to be negated!.

You must become a snowbird and migrate south or west when winter comes.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 24th October 2010, 11:32 pm

The only things that I would add are (1) I never rub the shampoo into my hair. I dilute my shampoo in an applicator bottle and apply it to my hair and scalp, squeeze and rinse. This technique prevents those shampoo tangles. (2) Throughout the week, I keep my ends moist with GDLI, or Kimmaytube leave in, or castor oil etc. This prevents knots.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 11:43 pm

Naturally Esq. I started putting the shampoo in the applicator bottle too. I like the control better. Don't know why it took me so long to come to that end.

Curious to know if you use the KCNT or a different conditioner. I use the NT. Also, wondering what type of castor oil you use.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 24th October 2010, 11:45 pm

@naturallyesq do you ever rub your scalp? If not does it really lift everything off your scalp?
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 25th October 2010, 12:10 am

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Naturally Esq. I started putting the shampoo in the applicator bottle too. I like the control better. Don't know why it took me so long to come to that end.

Curious to know if you use the KCNT or a different conditioner. I use the NT. Also, wondering what type of castor oil you use.

I use all Giovanni products: SAS shampoo and condioner, I DC with SAS or Nutrafix, or Silk Xtreme. My leave in is Direct Leave In or Kimmaytube with DLI. I use Home Health Castor oil.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 25th October 2010, 12:15 am

naturallychelsea wrote:@naturallyesq do you ever rub your scalp? If not does it really lift everything off your scalp?

I rub/massage my scalp but with movements that do not tangle my hair. I use an ACV rinse (applied to hair and scalp) before I apply the DC, when I have used gels to style or I am concened about build up.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down