CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed!

+2
Free2Be
Cupcake415
6 posters

Go down

Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed! Empty Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed!

Post by Cupcake415 20th October 2010, 3:13 pm

Hello Naturals and Curlies...

I have a question for you all.

I have been reading about people doing the BC either because they are ready to start a fresh hair journey, OR because they have 2 different textures and want just 1... (or both reasons, lol)

Well, I have 2 different hair textures, with 70% being ALL NATURAL, at the other 30% is straight (located at the top front crown area)... The problem is...

The straight hair is NOT permed... When I wore weaves, I left some of the hair out... That particular part of the hair was always being straightend (via Flat-iron)... Does this mean my that part of my hair was overly pressed? That part of the hair is acting as if it has perm in it, u can see the new growth...

Would this mean that i would have to ACT as if this was a perm and just trim it of as it grows? Or is there any way that this can be reversed over time?

(I asked because this is NOT permed hair... Just curious)
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed! Empty Re: Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed!

Post by Free2Be 20th October 2010, 3:25 pm

I am not an expert, but it could be heat damage. That happened to me. Especially since you can see the difference in the new growth.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed! Empty Re: Dealing with 2 hair textures... But one Texture is NOT permed!

Post by Naturally Esq 20th October 2010, 4:28 pm

I agree with Free2Be, it sounds like heat damage. Some have DC those sections and the hair has reverted, but there is no guarantee.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 20th October 2010, 4:33 pm

Hi Cupcake

Its probably the heat damage....the same thing happened to me and I cut it off and started over again.

On a brighter note I did go to a Natural Hair Care Workshop with Felecia Leatherwood (Jill Scott's stylist) and Karen's Body Beautiful and she did say you can try white vinegar...just apply let it sit and rinse or flat beer to try and bring the curls back. From the crowd I got the sense you need a couple of treatments to see results but if your not ready to chop then I guess it would be worth a try.

I on the other hand I have 2 different textures as well but the bottom of my hair is wavy and the rest is curly....I assume its from sleeping on it because why else?

On a side note I have the worst frizzies this week....maybe its the weather change....who knows!!

Good Luck!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 20th October 2010, 5:46 pm

My sister had been natural for years, but her hair was pressed often enough to cause heat damage. Her hair just wouldn't really curl anymore when wet. She cut it & started over. It grew back super fast. I wish I had her courage, but since I don't...still transitioning lol!
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 20th October 2010, 6:35 pm

Thanks to all of you...

Luckily it's just the hair towards the front (The Bangs)... So honestly, I wouldn't mind trimming the straight hair off...

I love all of your responses and advice... I really might try the vinegar/flat beer remedy before I do the trim/cut!
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 20th October 2010, 6:37 pm

EMarie wrote:Hi Cupcake

Its probably the heat damage....the same thing happened to me and I cut it off and started over again.

On a brighter note I did go to a Natural Hair Care Workshop with Felecia Leatherwood (Jill Scott's stylist) and Karen's Body Beautiful and she did say you can try white vinegar...just apply let it sit and rinse or flat beer to try and bring the curls back. From the crowd I got the sense you need a couple of treatments to see results but if your not ready to chop then I guess it would be worth a try.

I on the other hand I have 2 different textures as well but the bottom of my hair is wavy and the rest is curly....I assume its from sleeping on it because why else?

On a side note I have the worst frizzies this week....maybe its the weather change....who knows!!

Good Luck!

Thank you so much... Glad you can relate... I am going to give this a try before I decide to trim/cut the straight hairs off!
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th October 2010, 6:44 pm

Like the other ladies said, it sounds like heat damage. When you flat iron your hair, you have to use a heat protectant and the right amount of heat to keep this from happening.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 21st October 2010, 2:12 pm

Well Ladies...

Last night... I choped an inch of the "Heat Damaged Hair"...
U can barely tell how much I cut, because it was towards the front of my head, so now it looks like I have bangs!

I sat and thought about it... This part of my hair has been pressed so much that I don't think it can be fixed... As long as I continue to take care of my natural hair, it will grow back Razz
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 21st October 2010, 2:58 pm

Your probably right although I never tried to vinegar or flat beer either....I just chopped as well!

It will grow back fast!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 21st October 2010, 3:32 pm

EMarie wrote:Your probably right although I never tried to vinegar or flat beer either....I just chopped as well!

It will grow back fast!

I hope so..

Although I am going to keep the vinegar/flat beer in mind, lol

I love home/natural remedies...
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down