CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shea butter (unrefined)

4 posters

Go down

shea butter (unrefined) Empty shea butter (unrefined)

Post by Guest 15th October 2010, 3:44 pm

hi Smile i went to the beauty supply store around my way a while back and i found some shea butter and i think it was unrefined, but it had a really weird smell Suspect ....it didn't stink; it just smelled funny and i didn't buy it. plus i think it was 4.99 and i had other things to buy lol and i try to stay on a budget b/c if i don't i'm bound to go crazy in the beauty store Razz .....anyhow, the beauty store round my way doesn't carry kinky curly custard or ne thing like that. they have mostly just the "basics"....for some reason i am interested in the shea butter though and i was trying to find out, could i mix it with some things to replace gel or could it be used to define my curls....btw i have 4a/4b type hair. when it's soaking wet, it's curly, wavy, frizzy, but whenever it dries, it's like a mini fuzzy afro Mad . lol ne help ne one???

Back to top Go down

shea butter (unrefined) Empty Re: shea butter (unrefined)

Post by jaylin20032003 15th October 2010, 4:38 pm

i love shea butter!!! i cant really answer about if the smell you smelt was normal, i actually like how shea butter smells. i'm sure you could google what it should smell like, maybe that will help. i normally melt some down, mix it with some oils of my choice, let it solidify and kaPOW!!! i use it on my edges when i do a wng or as my sealant when i do 2 strand twists. im also a 4a/b, so i feel your pain with the frizzy fuzz sometimes. i'm sure some other curly ladies will chime in though. hth!!!
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenSheba 17th October 2010, 7:05 pm

i use shea butter almost everything. i mix it with coconut oil, grapeseed oil, evoo, and alittle tea tree oil. blend it until it's soft and use it on my twist outs. i have 4a/4b hair and it works great.
QueenSheba
QueenSheba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th October 2010, 8:53 pm

that's good..maybe i could try out the shea butter...ty for advice and pointers Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th October 2010, 12:56 am

Personally, I am only interested in raw, unrefined, organic shea butter. There are several website that talk about the processing, hexane, color, odor etc. Also, 100% pure does not mean nothing else is in it nor does it mean it is unrefined. I direct you to the websites below. Interesting read and we have to be informed consumers. I mix shea butter with coconut oil usually. I like to whip it to make it lighter. Shea is just too heavy for me. I find my hair is happiest with aloe. Anyway, on wet hair, I sometimes apply an aloe shea mix and do twists. They are defined and very moisturized. But, a little shea goes a longggggggggggg way.

http://www.alaffia.com/
http://www.natural-living-for-women.com/african-shea-butter.html
http://topics.info.com/Unrefined-Shea-Butter_4351
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 18th October 2010, 1:44 am

The shea butter I've purchased all smelled funny and I think that's just what it smells like. You either like the smell or not. I wound up adding some essential oils to mine, but it didn't make it much better...I think I used too much, i.e. sweet orange (too orangey), lemongrass (too whatever), etc. I purchased some whipped shea butter from Chagrin Valley Soap in Lemon Almond or something and that's the best scent I've found yet (that I personally can stand).

I have a feeling you were just smelling the typical scent of the shea. I prefer the scent of raw cocoa butter over shea, but again, that's just my nose. But if it works, I think you can get over the smell quickly.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down