CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter

+19
jnelle29
BajanPrincess82
beetle87
beAutiFul.jOuRnee
rebelrocks
lovelyrett
p_nuttie43
RoseNaturalBeauty
mykelmarie
Moni
Dricka
ButterQueen
Sunni J
gammainme
curlyamazon
veggiegirl314
Curly Film Chick
tiashaunteé
cutephantasm
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter Empty Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter

Post by cutephantasm 7th November 2009, 9:28 pm

Which do you ladies prefer?

I have recently tried coconut oil (after using pure shea butter for a while) and i must say, I prefer it to shea! I like the smell better, it's easier to apply to my hair, and my 4a/b hair seems to love it!

( I use to coconut oil in the jar from whole foods)
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter Empty Re: Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter

Post by tiashaunteé 7th November 2009, 11:47 pm

I like both evenly but I do think I would prefer coconut oil in the warmer months and shea in the colder months.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter Empty Re: Unrefined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Shea Butter

Post by Curly Film Chick 8th November 2009, 12:07 am

coconut oil hands down...shea butter is a hit and miss with my hair
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 8th November 2009, 12:09 am

I like shea butter better. It does a great job at moisturizing my twists/twist outs. I might revisit coconut oil, though.
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyamazon 8th November 2009, 10:23 pm

I may need to revisit coconut oil. I haven't used it since I first went natural. I stopped because I found that while my hair was SUPER shiny with cocnut oil (the pure, unrefined kind, of course), it was not retaining any moisture. My hair just felt so...crunchy/brittle. This is before I learned about layering products to get the best results. So far my hair really likes castor oil and unrefined shea butter right now... no petroleum/mineral oil leave-ins or it will get mad at me and fall flat on my head like a child through a tantrum in Toy R Us [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curlyamazon
curlyamazon

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 8th November 2009, 10:25 pm

RE coconut oil- is that the only thing you use as a moisturizer when doing twists or other styles? or is it combined w/ another product?
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th November 2009, 11:57 pm

When my hair is wet the coconut is all I use. When my hair is dry I like to spritz it with some essential oil/Water mixed or apply just enough conditioner to dampen my hair then I follow that with the coconut oil
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunni J 9th November 2009, 7:02 pm

TEAM COCONUT! Its a life saver... running low now as we speak. Leaves my hair looking and feeling mosturized which= my healthy place.
Sunni J
Sunni J

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 10th November 2009, 12:45 am

Have you ladies ever tried mixing the two for a deliciously easy creamy hair moisturizer!!! I find my hair doesn't respond well to EVCO...don't shoot me, lol, but I make a coconut oil hair pomade
which people love because it's smooth in texture and so you get the best of both worlds...but the coconut oil by itself just kinda makes my hair feels like straw.
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dricka 10th November 2009, 2:20 am

I love them both seperately and mixed together! LOL I am not sure how you want to count my vote. Shea Butter is better for when I want to get rid of fly-aways. I just mixed them together recently, so I haven't gotten a chance to really use it, except on my ends. I need to be in the bathroom right now co-washing and styling!
Dricka
Dricka

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 10th November 2009, 2:45 am

I love both and use them in different ways. Coconut oil is more moisturizing for me, while shea is more of a sealer. When my hair is wet, I'll apply my moisturizing product (usually something creamy and water based, such as qhemet products), then apply coconut oil over the length, twist or braid, and apply shea to the last inch or so. Throughout the week I'll moisturize with a water based product and seal with either coconut (for a light seal) or shea (for a heavy duty seal). I don't find coconut oil to be moisturizing on it's own, but with a little water it penetrates and my hair feels moisturized.

I especially loved mixing both of them together with aloe vera gel to make shealoe, which was the best moisturizing product I've ever used. I didn't have to use anything else with it. Fantastic!
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by mykelmarie 10th November 2009, 2:16 pm

I'm new here and of course ran out an copped some coconut oil the first day I joined and I LOVE it! Thank you all for the tips!
mykelmarie
mykelmarie

http://www.myspace.com/mykelmarie

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 10th November 2009, 4:38 pm

Hi!!! Mix the coconut oil and the shea butter together and you will have the best of both worlds!!! You can also go to www.koilsbynature.com and get the hair and body butter that has shea, coconut, jojoba, kokum, aloe vera butters!!! Check me out on Facebook and become a Fan of Koils by Nature!!!!

Love, peace and soul!!!!!

Pam!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

http://www.koilsbynature.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mykelmarie 10th November 2009, 4:49 pm

Way cool! Thank you so much for the info, will do!
mykelmarie
mykelmarie

http://www.myspace.com/mykelmarie

Back to top Go down

Post by p_nuttie43 10th November 2009, 7:05 pm

I just bought some coconut oil and some more shea butter at whole foods. I mixed it together right now and put it on my hair. my hair looks really nice and healthy now. I think i may mix those together and add an essential oil to it for smell and see how that works on my hair for a while.
p_nuttie43
p_nuttie43

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 10th November 2009, 8:57 pm

It will work great!!! You should check out www.oilsbynature.com or www.chemistrystore.com....you will find the stuff way cheaper there!!

Last edited by koilsbynature on 13th November 2009, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyrett 12th November 2009, 5:28 pm

Idk, yet. I haven't tried coconut oil alone. Only mixed with shea butter. I'm gonna buy some though and try. I don't know about the shea butter though. I've tried it as a cream and alone. It was okay but it didn't moisturize my hair they way I needed it to. It also sits on my hair. My hair likes castor oil but I just don't like how it leaves a greasy residue on everything. It's the only thing that I can find right now that helps with my hair not matting over night. I'm unsure of my hair type. I think it's 4a. I think the front is 3c. I need help with finding a great moisturizer.

lovelyrett

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 12th November 2009, 5:33 pm

coconut oil, i like it refined though..the coconut smell smells like dandruff in my hair, lol
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by beAutiFul.jOuRnee 12th November 2009, 6:04 pm

I mix them both together and they work wonders! I use shea butter and coconut oil mixed on a daily basis and coconut oil alone when im doing a pre-poo or after a wash! it has a lot of moisture!
beAutiFul.jOuRnee
beAutiFul.jOuRnee

Back to top Go down

Post by beetle87 13th November 2009, 2:50 am

I prefer coconut oil. It's an excellent sealer on my hair.

beetle87

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 13th November 2009, 12:13 pm

I love my coconut oil and shea butter mix. It is like heaven to my hair! I was so glad to find it because I tried shea butter by itself and I was not impressed. Who knew coconut oil could kick it up a notch?! I got my mix from Sunshine, a natural blogger I found online. She sells her stuff on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Peaceloveandsunshine. Its the bomb, I promise!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by jnelle29 13th November 2009, 4:42 pm

How do you go about mixing shea butter and coconut oil? Do you put it in a blender or work it together with like a spoon??
jnelle29
jnelle29

http://jheanellekale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 13th November 2009, 5:57 pm

jnelle29 wrote:How do you go about mixing shea butter and coconut oil? Do you put it in a blender or work it together with like a spoon??

I like to use a spoon when I mix
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 13th November 2009, 8:44 pm

For best results a hand mixer!!! It will whip up like cake batter!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 14th November 2009, 7:01 am

Oh, I just purchase it ready-made b/c I'm lazy. lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next