CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BC on tuesday..needing advice!

5 posters

Go down

BC on tuesday..needing advice! Empty BC on tuesday..needing advice!

Post by omgitsaj 10th October 2010, 1:04 pm

So after 6 long, hard months of transitioning, I have finally gathered enough courage to cut my hair. Although I am nervous, I am more worried about dryness and how to handle it. My hair has always been super dry no matter what I use, which is why I'm ending my transition shorter than I want to. Can anyone give me a list of products and/or a set regimen so I can grow healthy hair:)

Right now I have these products avaliable:
HEHH Conditioner
Giovanni SAS Shampoo
Giovanni SAS Conditioner
Cantu Shea Leave-in
Giovanni Direct Leave in
Coconut Oil
Shea Butter

So if you can add anything please do, thanks in advance!

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

BC on tuesday..needing advice! Empty Re: BC on tuesday..needing advice!

Post by Ebbz 10th October 2010, 8:36 pm

I know not everyone uses gel but alot of ppl that BC like to define their curls until they figure out other ways to style their hair. If you choose to add one (to define curls or hold) make sure its one that is alcohol free and pair it with an oil/leave in to avoid the crunchy feeling.

Also, you can make your own moisturizer with whipped shea butter, oil and some conditioner. You could add aloe vera gel/juice as well.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 10th October 2010, 10:34 pm

If your real problem is dry hair, then a BC is only going to give you shorter dry hair. I know 2 textures are difficult to manage, but I think you should solve your dry hair problem before you BC (especially if you are not ready to cut). Only you know what you have been going thru for 6 months, so I respect your decision. I just don't want you to be dissappointed in your BC if it can be avoided. You can always cut it later, but once you cut it there is not turning back.

Are you sealing in moisture(water) after you wash/co-wash? If not, then all of the other conditioners you are using could be locking moisture out and building up on your hair.

Are you moisturizing your hair from the inside by drinking water and eating water and nutrient rich fruits and vegetables? Are you eating enough protein? Are you getting enough Essential Fatty Acids in your diet and or supplements?

Here are some things that have helped me with my dry hair:

Before I switched to natural products, L'Oreal Everstrong Masque really helped to moisturize and soften my hair (I did not need a leave-in and sealed with coconut oil). I would also apply MacNut brand Macadamia Nut oil between washes. I also liked Tigi Moisture Maniac and Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey Conditioners.

Water, water, & more water. On wash day, I seal my wet hair with kimmaytube leave-in (Kinky Curly Knot Today, Aloe Vera Juice, Jojoba Oil and Castor Oil). My hair stays moist for at least 3 days.

Burt's Bees Avocado Pre-Shampoo Treatment(this was the first thing that really helped me with dryness).

I use Aubrey Organics products as deep conditioners on dry hair. Even before I started taking a steam in the sauna at the gym, these products helped with dryness(even the protein conditioners helped my hair with moisture). I rotate the following : Honeysuckle Rose(excellent moisturizer) and White Camelia Conditioners(moisturizes and smoothes), Blue Green Algae Mask( heavy protein) and GPB(lighter protein).

Desert Essemce Coconut Conditioner(very creamy, makes my curls pop)

Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine for my ends

I wish you the best with your decision. I'm here to cheer you on, regardless of which way you go!
P.S. from what I can see in your photo, you have a cute face & and a great smile!

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 10th October 2010, 11:31 pm

@ebbz Thanks:) I'm going to Trader Joes to hopefully pick up some stuff to make a shea butter cream/styler. I've been using ecostyler with coconut oil on top and it defines without the crunch

@FalconTress Thanks so much! I just recently got my braces remove and I can not stop smiling! As far as the dryness, its mostly my relaxed ends. Dryness leads to tangles and matting..which sadly leads to major breakage. While I am nervous about the cutting, most of it stems from negative responses from my family. I'm ready to just do it and be done and let them think whatever they what.

Right now I am cowashing every other day with HTHH, using that or Giovanni Direct as a leave in and sealing with coconut oil. While it may sound silly, I feel like having this thick relaxed hair on top is making my natural growth suffer. My water intake and diet could also be the problem and I have to work on that for sure. Thanks for the tips!

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th October 2010, 12:07 am

I agree with Falcon Tress. When you BC, you hair is gonna be dry. If you continue to cowash often and deep condition weekly, slowly your hair will start to retain moisture.

The only thing I see missing from the list is big earrings and hair candy Wink
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 11th October 2010, 12:40 am

Just ordered some fly earrings:) Should I shampoo at all after my BC?? I usually shampoo every 1 1/1-2 weeks, so should I keep it that way or space it out more?

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th October 2010, 12:44 am

When is the last time you shampooed? When I first BC'd, I only shampooed once a month. Of course I didnt use a lot of products back then. I only used a leave in and coconut oil.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 11th October 2010, 1:36 am

Well I guess my stylist is probably going to shampoo me before the cut, which sucks because I just did a couple days ago. I usually shampoo when my scalp gets itchy which ends up being about 2 weeks but with winter coming I think my scalp might itch a lot more.

I don't know if anyone can answer but whats this about not using humectants/glycerin during winter months? How do I moisturize without them?

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th October 2010, 1:47 am

If she shampoo before she cuts your hair then you dont need to shampoo after.

Humectants draw moisture from the air to your hair. During the winter months, the air is less moist. I've heard/read that if you use humectants during the winter it will dry your hair out. It doesnt get that cold here and when it does, I wear a hat so I dont have that problem.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 11th October 2010, 1:59 am

I brought tons of hats and plain on lining them with satin, I also have some half wigs too. I guess those will be my protective styles if you could call them that. I just want to keep my hair hidden and protected so by the time summer comes I can rock a nice size fro:)

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 11th October 2010, 11:27 am

Wetting your hair every other day is a lot of manipulation and could be part of the dryness problem for your ends. Perhaps if you co-wash less often (avoiding the stress of detangling) ,braid your hair and wear your half wigs(since you have them) you could wait longer before you BC.

Now about your family (tip toes and looks for the correct words) if you will be able to "let them think whatever they what" tomorrow, why can't that be your mindset today? I guess I'm thinking about it like this, if you had a pimple and it would take time for it to clear up you probably would be able to ignore your family until it went away. Your hair situation is also temporary and it's not like you don't have any intention of making the change, just not right now.

It takes strength and courage to keep your hair and strength and courage to BC. I admire your strength and courage and will entusiastically support your decision!

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 11th October 2010, 11:35 am

Hey,
I havent had a B/C as such, (though i just remebered about 12yrs ago in school i wasnt far off - the hairdresser took liberties on my hair lol!).
I have had really short hair but straight but i did feel in one hand vulnerable and naked but on the other hand, really confident that i had guts to cut off what a lot of us (not all) kinda use as a security blanket-so i tended to funk things up with nice make up, accessories, earings, headscarfs etc - kinda like whats already been suggested - i guess i'd also say, just give your self a little more time for getting ready so you can learn to work your new style and see what works best and prepare for any unforseen bad days - not saying thats the case, but we all get days when our hair wont go right.
Also, I would suggest lots and lots of DC's, Moisture and Oils, sleep in your Satin Scarf/Cap, if you dont get too much build up, do some Co-Washing to avoid stripping natural oils, or concerntrate more on your scalp when you do wash to keep that clean and build up free but not dry your ends out.
Good luck, and embrace the new you, luckily, with sites like this and other and good old youtube, you'll be soon rocking your TWA or mini Afro in some great styles -Have fun with it- plus, its hair, and hair grows (granted mine is slower than others hmmm!), but, it does grow so enjoy the journey and lengths xxx
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 12th October 2010, 1:13 pm

Just popping in to say that I hope that your experience today is everything that you are hoping for!
Keep Smiling!

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 12th October 2010, 7:26 pm

Thanks sooo much! It was so awesome and I'm going to post a seperate thread with pictures and info:) Check it out!

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down