CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence!

+9
Emartini04
FalconTress
Karameldiva1978
mrsrenaissance
Lynnieluve
pie
deeply_rooted_chick
curlya
Renny
13 posters

Go down

Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence! Empty Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence!

Post by Renny 8th October 2010, 12:17 pm

Not just the cover, but there's an article on the inside. Cool.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence! Empty Re: Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence!

Post by curlya 8th October 2010, 2:43 pm

AWESOME; can't wait to get mine in the mail!
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence! Empty Re: Natural Hair on the cover of the next Essence!

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 8th October 2010, 4:42 pm

I love that actress but I have a feelings that's a wig
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by pie 8th October 2010, 6:15 pm

Cool. I may pick up a copy this month!!! Smile
pie
pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th October 2010, 6:16 pm

Even though she is rocking a wig, I am gonna pick it up too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th October 2010, 6:23 pm

It's a wig, but I'm talking about the article about natural hair. Too her left it shows they'll be featuring natural hair.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th October 2010, 6:38 pm

Renny wrote:It's a wig, but I'm talking about the article about natural hair. Too her left it shows they'll be featuring natural hair.

I'm glad natural hair is being feature!! However, I am a little skeptical. I hope the article was written by a REAL natural hair person.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th October 2010, 6:54 pm

Girl, we'll see. There's lots of natural hair in NYC, and lots of product companys like KBB and Carol's Daughter, Jessies, etc. so...hopefully they consulted some experts. Smile
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th October 2010, 6:57 pm

I actually hope they show pictures of people with all hair types. If I had a $1 for every person who told me I went natural because I have the right hair I could buy everything on my P.J. pending list. Some of our sisters just need to see the versatility of all our hair. Type A may look great in a wng, but can't hold a decent twist out and Type B may twist great, but not curl, so it's all a challenge. Education is key.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th October 2010, 7:07 pm

Renny wrote:I actually hope they show pictures of people with all hair types. If I had a $1 for every person who told me I went natural because I have the right hair I could buy everything on my P.J. pending list. Some of our sisters just need to see the versatility of all our hair. Type A may look great in a wng, but can't hold a decent twist out and Type B may twist great, but not curl, so it's all a challenge. Education is key.

Me too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 9th October 2010, 3:00 pm

I'm skeptical too, but will check it out! I have a subscription so I just got the special edition hair issue in the mail. Have you seen that one? Monica is on the cover. I wasn't inspired by the natural styles in it though.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 10th October 2010, 12:44 am

Hhhhhmnmnmnm....interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 17th October 2010, 10:33 am

So I picked up the Essence on Thursday and finally got a chance to look at it last night. I let my impressions marinate overnight and I think I've resolved that they did a fairly good job.

What I liked

I liked the "Style File:" piece. Great pics of natural hair. Especially the locs. Would have been nice to see somebody with twists and someone with a twist out.

The salon feature in "Hair News" was cool because I really only expected them to talk about Miss Jessie's shop and they didn't do that. But how did they leave out an Atlanta salon? I mean really. Lots of natural hair here; lots.

The "Know and Tell" transitioning advice was sound and the moisture advice too.

What Should Have Been Included
The blogging community and the YouTube community. Huge miss there.
Products by smaller companies.

What I didn't Like
I didn't like the "Fro Focus" piece. I know this was not the point of the article, but I don't think any permed head would look at the pictures and see that they could go natural based on those pictures. There were only four of them and two of them were not good. People do not go to work everyday looking fierce. If women could see how being natural would fit in their world they might try it. Like I said, I know that wasn't the point of the article. Just my personal observation.

They could have done a better job with the products they suggested on the side also. Loreal EverStrong. Really? I mean, good, it's SLS free, but isn't it fairly new? Have AA naturals embraced it as a product that works for us.

The styling tips were okay, I liked that they talked about moisture and oils, but cocount seems to be a huge staple for naturals. Big oversight there.

There are also quite a few advertisements with natural hair models. Both of the insets have models with natural hair. In additon several of the articles have natural heads featured, like one that is about fashion captures real people and what they're wearing. Four out of the eleven had natural heads and some others.

So I think it was fairly good considering that it's magazine not a research journal. Very Happy

I'd give it 3.5 curls.

Last edited by Renny on 17th October 2010, 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 17th October 2010, 11:03 am

Oh, I forgot to mention it was very cool to see KimmyTube's ad for Luvsnaturals. I hope it pushes her business to the next level. She so deserves it for all the hard work she has done to educate naturals.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 17th October 2010, 11:10 am

@Renny
Thanks for the recap.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 17th October 2010, 11:14 am

@ Renny. I can't wait to get mine in the mail so I could read it. I'm excited they have an article based on naturals because I noticed down here in NYC alot of sistahs r natural these days.

Thanks for the info girl.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 17th October 2010, 11:22 am

Great review Renny!
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by pie 17th October 2010, 11:35 am

Renny, excellent review. I picked it up but haven't had time to read the article yet. Thanks......
pie
pie

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 17th October 2010, 12:53 pm

Renny wrote:So I picked up the Essence on Thursday and finally got a chance to look at it last night. I let my impressions marinate overnight and I think I've resolved that they did a fairly good job.

What I liked

I liked the "Style File:" piece. Great pics of natural hair. Especially the locs. Would have been nice to see somebody with twists and someone with a twist out.

The salon feature in "Hair News" was cool because I really only expected them to talk about Miss Jessie's shop and they didn't do that. But how did they leave out an Atlanta salon? I mean really. Lots of natural hair here; lots.

The "Know and Tell" transitioning advice was sound and the moisture advice too.

What Should Have Been Included
The blogging community and the YouTube community. Huge miss there.
Products by smaller companies.

What I didn't Like
I didn't like the "Fro Focus" piece. I know this was not the point of the article, but I don't think any permed head would look at the pictures and see that they could go natural based on those pictures. There were only four of them and two of them were not good. People do not go to work everyday looking fierce. If women could see how being natural would fit in their world they might try it. Like I said, I know that wasn't the point of the article. Just my personal observation.

They could have done a better job with the products they suggested on the side also. Loreal EverStrong. Really? I mean, good, it's SLS free, but isn't it fairly new? Have AA naturals embraced it as a product that works for us.

The styling tips were okay, I liked that they talked about moisture and oils, but cocount seems to be a huge staple for naturals. Big oversight there.

There are also quite a few advertisements with natural hair models. Both of the insets have models with natural hair. In additon several of the articles have natural heads featured, like one that is about fashion captures real people and what they're wearing. Four out of the eleven had natural heads and some others.

So I think it was fairly good considering that it's magazine not a research journal. Very Happy

I'd give it 3.5 curls.

My issues came in the mail yesterday and I TOTALLY agree with your assessment. The Fro Focus left little to be desired but the File Focus was nice with the pics of different styles but one thing missing were more pics of twists/twist outs.

I really wish Essence editors would really find out what naturals are really using on their hair and stop pushing those mass merchandise products that often contain ingredients many of us avoid, like L'oreal and Pantene (there are a few exceptions with thes products). They would not only help many African American and women owned businesses but also let people know their options. They did feature the Free Your Mane but what about Bee Mine, Darcys, KBB, Curls, Kinky Curly, Hairveda, Qhemet, etc. There was story on naturallycurly.com about Free Your Mane. Check it out here - http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curlykids/new-product-line-inspired-by-transracial-family.

Anyway, I'm still going through mine but I'm looking for Essence to really step it up.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 17th October 2010, 6:37 pm

Renny, thanks for the review. I like Lynnie was skeptical. I was curious too.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 17th October 2010, 8:19 pm

I read it and agree with Renny. I would like to add that I thought the model on the cover looked unusually thin.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 17th October 2010, 9:14 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:I read it and agree with Renny. I would like to add that I thought the model on the cover looked unusually thin.

Nat,

That's Kerry Washington on the cover. Among many others she's most well know for her role as Ray Charles' wife in the movie RAY. She is thin isn't she.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 17th October 2010, 9:36 pm

Renny wrote:
Naturally Esq wrote:I read it and agree with Renny. I would like to add that I thought the model on the cover looked unusually thin.

Nat,

That's Kerry Washington on the cover. Among many others she's most well know for her role as Ray Charles' wife in the movie RAY. She is thin isn't she.

Her hands almost encircle her waist. IMO that does not look healthy.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 18th October 2010, 10:00 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote: They did feature the Free Your Mane but what about Bee Mine, Darcys, KBB, Curls, Kinky Curly, Hairveda, Qhemet, etc. There was story on naturallycurly.com about Free Your Mane. Check it out here - http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curlykids/new-product-line-inspired-by-transracial-family.

I just visited Free Your Mane and I am impressed. I like the different oils in the products. They state their products don't leave the hair greasy and that's a problem I'm having with some of the products I've purchased, like Darcy's and AfroVeda. I felt like I'd fallen in a vat of oil. It was ridiculous. I may try the shampoo and pomade. It also doesn't hurt that they donate to the HollyRod Foundation. That's one of the charities I support.

I also found a link for the ingredients.
http://www.freeyourmane.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/FYM_Ingredient_List.pdf

Last edited by Renny on 18th October 2010, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down