CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Moisture

+2
Muz
shorty2010
6 posters

Go down

Shea Moisture  Empty Shea Moisture

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 7:24 am

I'm still trying and buying everything that works for everybody but this new kid!!!!!! LOL
Tryed the shea moisture line, curl & shine poo, conditioning, curl & style milk thought I had a winner. I did get the curl and it looked good wet. This morning it had drawed up and I just don't know what to do now!!!!!!!! Sad

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture  Empty Re: Shea Moisture

Post by Muz 2nd October 2010, 11:52 am

That's just shrinkage, as your hair dries it's going to curl more and shrink up. I'm not sure what your hair type is, but I know for me, my hair shrinks waaaaaaaay up as it dries. Just re-wet your hair in the morning, shake and go Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 2nd October 2010, 12:03 pm

shorty2010 wrote:I'm still trying and buying everything that works for everybody but this new kid!!!!!! LOL
Tryed the shea moisture line, curl & shine poo, conditioning, curl & style milk thought I had a winner. I did get the curl and it looked good wet. This morning it had drawed up and I just don't know what to do now!!!!!!!! Sad

Yes, this is definitely a trial and error game. I am a newbie and trying to find my HG too! I have just decided to change my strategy a bit. First, make sure my hair is clarified so I can give the products a fair chance. Second, try them different ways (wet hair, dry hair, with or without other product lines, etc.) I am going to start doing more of a sample test instead of putting an untested product in all my hair and when I have time to spend the entire day, I am going to divide my hair into several sections and test several products at one time, thus elimination, identifying keepers, or potentials.

Curious to know if you bought your Shea line at Target? I keep reading there is a different formulation for the store versus online products. I tried the Deep Treatment Masque and after 2 tries, I don't prefer it as my mainstay leave-in. For me, it has been working for refreshing my hair and I used it to braid (dry hair/damp hair). I didn't like it on wet hair.

This journey is almost like a second job sometimes, isn't it Very Happy

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 12:42 pm

Thanks for your input Naturalnolagirl!!!!! I'm a newby also and I did buy my products from Target.My deep conditioning treatment before I started this line was the Organic root stimulator oliver oil replenishing conditioner mixed with olive oil,coconut oil & organic honey(Heat,apply,plastic cap) sit under dryer. Rinse. I think I'll give the product line a try. This is trail and I hope not error for me Smile Hang in there girl!!!!!!!!!!

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 1:04 pm

Thanks Muz, in the morning when you re-wet do you put the curl style milk on? By the way my hair type 3. My hair is fine in the crown and thick in the back and soft:( What is your deep conditioner routine? When my hair shrinks I'm ready to hide. Smile

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd October 2010, 1:24 pm

When you find a product that works for you, make a list of the first five (5) ingredients. Look for those ingredients in any new product that you want to try. If they are not there, or are not at the top of the list, proceed with caution. This works for me and makes that "second job" easier.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 1:30 pm

Thanks Naturally Esg,I will keep this in mind!!!!! Smile

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 2nd October 2010, 2:28 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:When you find a product that works for you, make a list of the first five (5) ingredients. Look for those ingredients in any new product that you want to try. If they are not there, or are not at the top of the list, proceed with caution. This works for me and makes that "second job" easier.

Thanks for that confirmation. I just came to that realization this morning!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 3:19 pm

My hair looks so dry,I know olive oil is in the products. Suggestions please!!!!!!! Smile

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 2nd October 2010, 3:22 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:When you find a product that works for you, make a list of the first five (5) ingredients. Look for those ingredients in any new product that you want to try. If they are not there, or are not at the top of the list, proceed with caution. This works for me and makes that "second job" easier.

Oh, I never thought to do that. Thanks. That's really good advice.

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 2nd October 2010, 4:43 pm

shorty2010 wrote:Thanks Muz, in the morning when you re-wet do you put the curl style milk on? By the way my hair type 3. My hair is fine in the crown and thick in the back and soft:( What is your deep conditioner routine? When my hair shrinks I'm ready to hide. Smile

I don't use any curl milks or anything like that, just my leave in conditioner and some EVOO when I wng. Lately I've been experimenting with 3 minute DCs, but typically I use either ORS Replenishing Conditioner or Yes to Cucumbers mixed with raw honey and EVOO for 15 minutes under the dryer or 45 mins-1hr without the dryer.

Just embrace the shrinkage, there's no point in driving yourself crazy fighting it. Before I BC'd I thought I'd hate shrinkage, now I love it Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd October 2010, 6:00 pm

shorty2010 wrote:My hair looks so dry,I know olive oil is in the products. Suggestions please!!!!!!! Smile

Are you balancing moisture and protein? Here is a link to a great article with a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 10:29 pm

Thanks Muz,but how do you get the curls if you don't use the curl milk?
What is your leave in conditioner and what you mean by evoo? Remember I'm a newby Smile

The jury is still out on the shrinkage lol

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture  Empty Shea Moisture

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 10:46 pm

Thanks Naturally Esq for the site address and I will check it out!! Very Happy
All three products that I use have moisture & protein in them. Plus I just had to buy something else as if I don't already have a mini store started lol I picked up shea butter daily oil moisturizer to add.Should have I? UM I don't think so!!!!!!!!! No

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd October 2010, 11:26 pm

shorty2010 wrote:Thanks Naturally Esq for the site address and I will check it out!! Very Happy
All three products that I use have moisture & protein in them. Plus I just had to buy something else as if I don't already have a mini store started lol I picked up shea butter daily oil moisturizer to add.Should have I? UM I don't think so!!!!!!!!! No

As you will see in the article you must balance the moisture and protein. Some hair types like more moisture than protein and some hair types (like mine) are just the opposite and like more protein than moisture. Once you find out what works for you, then it is all good.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 2nd October 2010, 11:29 pm

Shorty, EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If you use Olive Oil this is the one to get. It is the first press from the olives and is the richest in nutritional value. You will note the dark green color compared to the light or faint color of the olive oil that is processed more and of lesser nutritional value. If you are interested in buying shea butter not mixed with anything, always look for unrefined shea butter. That means it is raw and in its most concentrated form, which is a solid that liquifies in your hands when you rub them together. There are many wonderful blogs and sites, including tons of youtube videos. Give yourself a wide learning curb and just relax. Remember this is a journey, not a marathon. There are alot of very experienced people here who are willing to share information, but no two curlies are exactly the same, remember that. Hope some of this info helps.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty2010 2nd October 2010, 11:53 pm

Thanks naturalnolagirl1990, point taken Smile I'm into my first week of going natural and I realize this journey will be a loooooooooooog one!! I do use olive oil in my regiment. A good product!!!!!! Thanks again for the info flower

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 3rd October 2010, 12:03 am

shorty2010 wrote:Thanks naturalnolagirl1990, point taken Smile I'm into my first week of going natural and I realize this journey will be a loooooooooooog one!! I do use olive oil in my regiment. A good product!!!!!! Thanks again for the info flower

Any time. Everyone is very anxious in the beginning. That's normal.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 3rd October 2010, 12:20 pm

shorty2010 wrote:Thanks Muz,but how do you get the curls if you don't use the curl milk?
What is your leave in conditioner and what you mean by evoo? Remember I'm a newby Smile

The jury is still out on the shrinkage lol

They are just there. Curl Milk isn't giving you anything that you don't already have. Usually I use Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine as my leave in, sometimes I use Aussie Hair Insurance.

and you'll be a lot happier in the long run if you just learn to love the shrinkage, no sense in trying to force your hair to do what it doesn't want to do Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 4th October 2010, 1:49 pm

shorty2010 wrote:My hair looks so dry,I know olive oil is in the products. Suggestions please!!!!!!! Smile

Hey there Smile You may want to make that mixture in your spray bottle to mist your hair each morning also. Try some leave in conditioner + olive oil + water. Maybe use this spritzer every day. When I first had my BC, remember my hair was like straw and I was miserable Sad Eventually, your hair will come to like the products, but it is definitely a journey. I've just finally learned to embrace what God gave me and am trying to work with it. Hang in there. I don't think I could have gotten through this without this board!!! run
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture  Empty Dry Hair

Post by shorty2010 4th October 2010, 2:28 pm

Naturalin2010 what conditioner would you suggest I use with the water-oil Thanks for telling me about this site!! This board has helped me a lot!!!! woot!

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture  Empty Conditioner

Post by shorty2010 4th October 2010, 3:14 pm

Thanks Muz!! I had looked at that product and I will light soon Smile

shorty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 7th October 2010, 11:13 pm

shorty2010 wrote:Naturalin2010 what conditioner would you suggest I use with the water-oil Thanks for telling me about this site!! This board has helped me a lot!!!! woot!

In my spray bottle, I used the Giovanni Direct Leave in conditioner with distilled water and some olive oil. I would mist my hair about 3x/day when I first BC'd because my hair was like straw!! no bueno. But like naturalnolagirl said, this is a journey and just take your time. Just let your hair dictate what she likes. You have to find what works for her. But, this board is here to help sunny I'm still learning Very Happy
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down