CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Moisture

+10
LaToya28
naturallynola
sydnisd183
J.S.M.
Southernbeauty83
queenshakirah
mizcreativelyme
ReRe71
Sthrngal92
Naadira
14 posters

Go down

Shea Moisture Empty Shea Moisture

Post by Naadira 27th December 2010, 8:51 pm

~My first post yay!~

I was in Target and I saw Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque. Has anybody tried this product, and if so did you like it or hate it?
Naadira
Naadira

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture Empty Re: Shea Moisture

Post by Sthrngal92 28th December 2010, 2:29 am

Hi Naadira! I love the Shea Moisture line! So far I have tried the Deep Treatment Mask that asked about and the Coconut & hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie. The deep treatment for me wasn't that awesome as a DC but IS awesome a a leave in styler, which the directions states you can do! I use it on wash day to stretch my hair. It has an awesome smell, like hair perfume, so if you're not into strong smells this line is not for you lol. It has given me my best twist outs to date, soft, defined curls. I use the curl enhancing cream on following days to moisturize and re-twist. It is light and very effective at fighting frizz. Hope this helps!
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe71 28th December 2010, 2:01 pm

I agree with Sthrngal92, the Deep Treatment Mask is great for styling! I use it for finger coils and twists...gives great definition and isn't to heavy.
ReRe71
ReRe71

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 28th December 2010, 4:43 pm

As much as I wanted my hair to like this product, it didn't work out for me. My hair does not like shea butter Sad I searched high and low for a 'natural' product without shea and happened up on Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Buttercream. It's a much lighter product and has no heavy oils, water is the first ingredient so it's very moisturizing. But if your hair is a fan of heavy butters, go for Shea Moisture. It's not pricey and it's readily available at your local Tar'jay Smile
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Naadira 28th December 2010, 7:00 pm

Thanks for the comments so far! I think I will try it because my hair is really dry and I never tried shea butter so we will see what happens...
Naadira
Naadira

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 28th December 2010, 11:44 pm

I concur! The dt masque is my holy grail styler for twist outs. I also love the moisture retention shampoo.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by Southernbeauty83 30th December 2010, 11:45 pm

I love shea moisture! I am using it right now and it has done wonders with my hair. I love the Deep treatment masque by Shea Moisture...
Southernbeauty83
Southernbeauty83

Back to top Go down

Post by J.S.M. 31st December 2010, 12:14 am

I hate the Shea Moisture line. I hate the one at Target and I hate the old Shea Moisture Leave-in that came in the white bottle. Their products are way too fragrant and they always leave my hair coated, crispy, and dry.

If you want the benefits of shea butter, then I honestly suggest you just buy some unrefined shea and make your own mixes. You want a shea butter shampoo? Then melt some shea butter until it's liquidy and mix it (along with some other oils, glycerin, aloe vera gel/juice, whatever) with diluted castile soap. Want a creamy, styling smoothie? Whip the shea butter half and half with aloe vera gel. A conditioner? Take the smoothie you made and mix it with some oils. Deep conditioner? Leave the conditioner you made on for an hour or more with a plastic cap. Leave-in? Use the smoothie you made. Spray leave-in? Melt the shea butter, mix it with glycerin and some other oils, put that in a spray bottle filled with water, and apply.

I just see no reason for you to spend $10 on one, overly-scented product when you can usually buy unrefined shea butter and some other ingredients for the same amount and get more uses out of it.

J.S.M.

Back to top Go down

Post by sydnisd183 31st December 2010, 3:39 pm

J.S.M. wrote:I hate the Shea Moisture line. I hate the one at Target and I hate the old Shea Moisture Leave-in that came in the white bottle. Their products are way too fragrant and they always leave my hair coated, crispy, and dry.

If you want the benefits of shea butter, then I honestly suggest you just buy some unrefined shea and make your own mixes. You want a shea butter shampoo? Then melt some shea butter until it's liquidy and mix it (along with some other oils, glycerin, aloe vera gel/juice, whatever) with diluted castile soap. Want a creamy, styling smoothie? Whip the shea butter half and half with aloe vera gel. A conditioner? Take the smoothie you made and mix it with some oils. Deep conditioner? Leave the conditioner you made on for an hour or more with a plastic cap. Leave-in? Use the smoothie you made. Spray leave-in? Melt the shea butter, mix it with glycerin and some other oils, put that in a spray bottle filled with water, and apply.

I just see no reason for you to spend $10 on one, overly-scented product when you can usually buy unrefined shea butter and some other ingredients for the same amount and get more uses out of it.

^^Wow!! Sometimes, in the midst of getting caught up in the latest fads, I tend to overlook the obvious. I will try these, as my hair loves shea butter. Thanks!

As far as the OP, I currently have a jar of the curl enhancing smoothie. The first time I used it, I used it with my "original" twistout (hair that had just been washed/condish/detangled). I didn't like it, as it was too light. I almost returned it but i thought "let me try this on one of my "refresh" twists and see how I like it". (I retwist 2x a week, spraying a little water/condish mix in my hands, rubbing them together, and scrunching through sections before twisting up for the night). I added a little smoothie to each section and worked it in...it left my hair shiny and bouncy, without the "heaviness" of using just shea for moisture. So I will keep it.
sydnisd183
sydnisd183

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 31st December 2010, 7:24 pm

Naadira, for more info on this product and others in the Shea Moisture line, do an internal search and you will find other threads on this forum that will give you many experiences people have had. Good luck.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 9th January 2011, 10:00 pm

J.S.M. wrote:I hate the Shea Moisture line. I hate the one at Target and I hate the old Shea Moisture Leave-in that came in the white bottle. Their products are way too fragrant and they......

^^^^Could you please tell me where you are getting your organic oils, essential oils, and shea butter from for those prices! I haven't found any deals that good in my area or online (w/ shipping)
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 10th January 2011, 2:07 am

mountainroseherbs has organic shea butter, EOs, and organic carrier oils. Essentialwholesale.com has a litany of butters (they offer 1/2 oz sample sizes for $1.00 ea. for practically all of their butters). Some butters are organic and some are not. They also offer many carrier and EOs. I have purchased from both companies and have no complaints. Customer service was good, shipping with Eseential Wholesale was extremely quick and with Mountain Rose Herbs was within a few days (less than 1 wk). They are both approachable and I have received prompt email reply from Mountain Rose. The quality of the oils and butters I purchased was good. I will say I was expecting a different packaging for 1 oil I purchased from Mountain Rose that is light sensitve. But when I called to inquire, I felt a bit better that the oil had not degraded. I did purchase cocoveda (ayurvedic oil) from Henna Sooq. She has excellent quality products. I get my henna from her. She has a limited supply of oils, but she does have a few EOs, and some more exotic/high end oils like Camellia and Argan. Some of her oils are organic. She is an excellent vendor who is all about customer service and point on with responding to inquiries very promptly.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 10th January 2011, 12:27 pm

I used the Deep Treatment mask yesterday and it was horrible. My hair instantly felt hard, dry, and tangled. Like others have said I think it will work best as a styler. The shampoo is really good though.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 10th January 2011, 4:30 pm

I haven't tried the mask but I really like the curl and style milk as a leave-in conditioner. It leaves my hair soft and manageable, although I usually use some sort of butter over it.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly3000 12th January 2011, 4:00 pm

I like the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I have lots of oils, glycerine, refined shea, etc...I'm a mixtress, but sometimes I just want to treat myself and by something packaged, especially if its only $10 dollars as opposed to some of these other styling lines that start at $18. I haven't tried any of the other shea moisture products and probably wont b/c masks never do anything spectacular for me and I'm good with my current shampoos and conditioners.

Oh and I use the Smoothie on top of the Kimmay leave-in.
butterfly3000
butterfly3000

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 12th January 2011, 5:24 pm

I love Sheamoisture. I used the Deep Treatment Masque as a deep condish and as a styler. However I prefer it as a weekly Deep Condish. (I go through tubs of thi stuff) I find that it works best if you leave it on your hair for the full 30 mins and put a cap on your head and let the heat from your head do the work.. I like their curl enhancing smoothie not so much for hold but for a great non heavy moisturizer! I also use the milk when I pre poo my hair with vatika oil.

Hope you find some luck with their product line. Its nice to have some stuff on the ground!
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotusfairie 13th January 2011, 12:44 pm

I use the Deep Treatment Masque as a daily moisturizer and I love it. I haven't found anything that even comes close to it for my hair.

I did buy the Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, but I have to use way too much of the conditioner to even get good coverage on my hair, so I just don't bother with it anymore.
Lotusfairie
Lotusfairie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down