CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I tried this new product...

+18
Erica5417
MsCurlyBella
curly+kinky+fierce
Cygnet
lexi1
d.denise
NaturalNurse04
sweetdrk1
AfrikanLatina
lilindian
*CurlyNikki*
Lynnieluve
KiNkYnEsT
dajewel
gammainme
veggiegirl314
tiashaunteƩ
Marche'
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So I tried this new product... - Page 2 Empty Re: So I tried this new product...

Post by Cygnet 10th November 2009, 11:16 pm

1. Product name and price. A large, wood-backed massage brush with wooden pins for bristles made by Earth Therapeutics
2. Where you purchased it: Whole Foods
3. Why you purchased it: At $9.99, it was cheaper than the Denmans I priced online, and the pins are widely spaced and tapered to blunt, rounded-off ends rather than balls
4. BRIEF review: A. Slip—I pulled it through a small section of my hair while it was not only dry but moisture-starved. My hair did not catch or pull. B. Hang test—I tried suspending the brush from my hair by pushing the pins through it and letting it dangle. The brush I've used most frequently before this would have hung there, but the Earth Therapeutics brush insisted on falling out. Very Nice! C. Detangling—Like a dream! My other brush did a good job of this, but I had to constantly watch out for those nasty little balls on the bristles, or they'd grab my hair and not let go easily, if at all. A few times I've had to cut the brush out of a small section of my hair. I do not look to ever have that worry with this brush.
5. Will you buy it again? Absotively, posolutely Yes!!!!!

Cygnet

Back to top Go down

So I tried this new product... - Page 2 Empty Re: So I tried this new product...

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 12th November 2009, 2:23 am

1. Goody's hair clips aprx $3.00
2.Walmart
3. I needed something to section my hair when I detangle and twist
4. Very cute colors and lightweight plastic...It came six to a pack
5. Heck naw I wont buy again..every last one of them broke in the first week! I guess it couldnt handle my thick hair...back to the drawing board [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCurlyBella 13th November 2009, 7:37 pm

1. Product name and price :Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Conditioner ~ Around $10

3. Why you purchased it: I tried the AO HSR which worked pretty well so I decided to try another conditioner from the line

4. BRIEF review: AMAZING SLIP! Seriously, my tangles surrendered as soon as this touched my hair and my coils usually resist any attempts at detangling. When I rinsed it out, my hair was super soft and ultra smooth.

5. Will you buy it again: YES! This conditioner has just been added to the staples list.

MsCurlyBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 13th November 2009, 7:58 pm

Cygnet wrote:1. Product name and price. A large, wood-backed massage brush with wooden pins for bristles made by Earth Therapeutics
3. Why you purchased it: At $9.99, it was cheaper than the Denmans I priced online, and the pins are widely spaced and tapered to blunt, rounded-off ends rather than balls
4. BRIEF review: A. Slip—I pulled it through a small section of my hair while it was not only dry but moisture-starved. My hair did not catch or pull. B. Hang test—I tried suspending the brush from my hair by pushing the pins through it and letting it dangle. The brush I've used most frequently before this would have hung there, but the Earth Therapeutics brush insisted on falling out. Very Nice! C. Detangling—Like a dream! My other brush did a good job of this, but I had to constantly watch out for those nasty little balls on the bristles, or they'd grab my hair and not let go easily, if at all. A few times I've had to cut the brush out of a small section of my hair. I do not look to ever have that worry with this brush.

I love that brush. I found mine at TJ Maxx for around $4
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 13th November 2009, 9:11 pm

MsCurlyBella wrote:1. Product name and price :Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Conditioner ~ Around $10

3. Why you purchased it: I tried the AO HSR which worked pretty well so I decided to try another conditioner from the line

4. BRIEF review: AMAZING SLIP! Seriously, my tangles surrendered as soon as this touched my hair and my coils usually resist any attempts at detangling. When I rinsed it out, my hair was super soft and ultra smooth.

5. Will you buy it again: YES! This conditioner has just been added to the staples list.

*eyes shining* Reeeally?? Your hair sounds like mine so this is making me really excited!!! I just bought HH and adore it but I'm always on the lookout for more condtioners!
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 13th November 2009, 9:17 pm

1. Product name and price: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration condish 32 oz; $4.50

2. Where you purchased it: Target, Richmond VA

3. Why you purchased it: I decided to do my hair at my Mom's instead of waiting until I got home as previously planned, so I needed a condish and this one's so popular!

4. BRIEF review: LOVE. IT. I never get easy slip. NEVER. I soaked my hair (conditioned in the sink), put plenty in each section and my brush and comb just eased on through. I wanted to sing the Hallelujah chorus.

5. Will you buy it again: Oh, there is no doubt whatsoever...
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by MaameYaa 16th November 2009, 2:31 pm

1. Product name and price: Dr. Miracle's Temple and Nape Grow Balm for 7.99 I think

2: Where you purchased it: Duane Reade

3: Why you purchased it: After having kinky twists in, my edges started to look a little flimsy

4: Brief review: Light brown, thick like grease...smells a little mediciny..I only put a little bit on m edges every couple of days, but it started to leave flakes and burn. So I just end up rubbing and scratching it all off. I've used it on and off a couple of times and get the same result.

5: Will you buy it again: Absolutely not.....I'm not even going to try to finish what I have.
MaameYaa
MaameYaa

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 16th November 2009, 3:39 pm

MaamYaa, are you interested in selling me that Dr. Miracle Temple and Nape Balm? It's the only thing that keeps my edges lay down after I add it to my Shea Butter and some random EO that I like.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaameYaa 16th November 2009, 4:22 pm

Makeupvixen, it's all yours. It's more than half full. Send me a message. I'm glad it won't be going to waste. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MaameYaa
MaameYaa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cygnet 28th December 2009, 1:10 pm

Cygnet wrote:1. Product name and price. A large, wood-backed massage brush with wooden pins for bristles made by Earth Therapeutics
Okay, so since I posted this glowing review, right after buying the brush, I feel I need to update it.
As for the first four points, nothing changes. Regarding #4 especially, the brush has been everything I said. Since I began using it, I have noticed a sharp decline in the occurrence of fairy knots and other larger knots, over which I am ecstatic. It's comfortable to my scalp and very gentle to my strands. I would love to say that I'd still highly recommend this brush.
However, I did not find this brush to be durable. Shortly after posting the first review, a pin snagged itself on a section of hair and actually broke in half. Remember that this is a wooden brush, with wooden pins for bristles. And my hair actually broke one of them. I was able to file and clip it into a blunt point, and it seems not to have done any damage.
Not long thereafter, however, the pins began falling into the inside of the brush, between the pin base and the back of the brush. I have now lost about 14 pins this way, all but one from the same side of the brush, which leads me to believe that this is an isue of tension between my hair and the brush pins, and the pins are losing. I still have enough pins to brush my hair, but when I do, it sounds as if I'm brushing my hair with a maraca because of the wooden pins rattling around inside the brush. So my updated recommendation would be that you avoid this brush if your hair is very curly and/or thick.
I've since purchased a Denman, model D3, from Sally's, at roughly half the price I would pay from some web sites. It's the one with the pins packed closely together in its rows, which some curlies don't really like, but I find that with a little care on my part, I can use this brush as easily as I used the Earth Therapeutics wooden brush I've just been discussing. Everything else I liked about the ET brush I also like about the Denman D3, and the D3's tighter pin spacing has not proven to be a problem for me. Plus, because the base is affixed to the back of the brush, there is nowhere for the pins to fall inside, which means it will be sturdier. And when my relaxed-haired, biracial niece used it, she liked it very much, declaring it comfortable against her scalp. If she can't pursuade her father to get it for her, I'm willing to send her one; and I feel comfortable that she will get good use from it.
For those curlies who are defeated by the tight spacing of the pins in the D3 (medium-sized) and D4 (large) styling brushes, you may fare better with the D31 and D41 (medium and large, respectively) vent brushes with the larger spaces between pins. You will probably have to order it on line. The prices I saw at Folica.com were, I thought, good.

Cygnet

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyLovely 28th December 2009, 9:41 pm

Marche' wrote:I dont necessarily consider myself a produt junky, but I do like to try new things every so often.

List the following information on a brand new product that you are trying or have recently purchased:

1. Product name and price.
2. Where you purchased it
3. Why you purchased it.
4. BRIEF review.
5. Will you buy it again?

Ok, so I'll start......
1.Alba coconut milk hair wash (havent used conditioner yet), $6.00 each
2. Hudson's Salvage (its a MS thang)
3. It's organic, was 60% off, and CurlyChronicles of YT mentioned it.
4. Good lather for a sulfate-free shampoo. Smells awesome. Cleaned hair well, but left a semi squeaky and stripped feeling. I will probably only use this shampoo when my hair needs to be clarified (every few wks).
5. Will probably not buy again.

1. Giovanni Smooth As Silk Moisture Shampoo.
2. Wal-Mart for 5.96 (if I remember correctly).
3. In search of a new moisturizing shampoo the one I currently use has been discontinued (Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo - old green label bottle).
4. Pros: Lathers really good (use only a dime size), cleans well ( but leave a too squeaky clean feeling for me - not stripping) and leaves the hair smelling good. Cons: My hair has to be conditioned after using or I will not be able to detangle it (major shrinkage).
5. Maybe not this bottle will last me a year no joke!!! Will only use as a good clarifier.
NaturallyLovely
NaturallyLovely

https://www.youtube.com/LovelyTrueRed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2