CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!!

+10
LaToya28
ttndahouse
kandibree
letha
lexi1
BajanPrincess82
Renny
rayray19
kurlegurl
thicktjt88
14 posters

Go down

SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!! Empty SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!!

Post by thicktjt88 22nd September 2010, 5:14 pm

Ok, I was looking for a good moisturizing conditioner that did not have protein in it. I heard rave reviews about Yes to Cucumbers conditioner. I looked at reveiws on youtube, and quite a few hair forums. I really heard nothing bad about; no bad ingredients or anything. So I go to target to pick it up and near the bottom of the list of ingredients( 3rd to last) I see sodium hydroxide. I bought it anyway because I think its used a s a ph balancer, but I am still worried about it. I looks at some reviews and when they listed the ingredients there was more than one difference and it did not contain sodium hydroxide. So I am guessing they have changed the formula??? Has anyone else noticed this? Should I be worried?
thicktjt88
thicktjt88

Back to top Go down

SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!! Empty Re: SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!!

Post by kurlegurl 22nd September 2010, 5:30 pm

Sodium hydroxide (aka Lye, Soda lye, Caustic soda)
Avoid
Known as “alkaline perms”. Often found in relaxers and texturizers. Highly caustic. Denatures hair and can dissolve it. In smaller concentrations, it's used as a pH adjuster. In higher concentrations, such as in relaxers, it can cause severe burns on skin. Begoun pg 155. Of the same pH found in oven cleaners, drain cleaners and hair removers. If you've ever relaxed your hair without gloves (hopefully not), and noticed your hands felt really slippery but it wouldn't wash off, here's why: "The reason sodium hydroxide feels slimy is because it is chemically reacting with the fatty acid esters and oils naturally found in your skin. Essentially, you’re turning bits of your skin into soap. (The reaction is called saponification). And as you know, soap is slippery.”
See also: Lye
Source(s): Begoun http://thebeautybrains.com/?s=panthenol&x=0&y=0

I just got that from the tightlycurly site where Terri (the creator) lists all the ingredients in almost all hair products, and explains what they are used for and if they are good or bad for your hair. Check out her site ingredients dictionary: http://www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients/
kurlegurl
kurlegurl

Back to top Go down

SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!! Empty Re: SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN YES TO CUCUMBERS!!!!

Post by thicktjt88 22nd September 2010, 5:34 pm

Thanks!!!
thicktjt88
thicktjt88

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 22nd September 2010, 9:18 pm

well im glad i came across this..guess im sticking with shea moisture conditioner
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 22nd September 2010, 10:58 pm

I just checked my bottle and the leave-in and neither have it. Hmmm...not cool, but I have read that if it's low on the ingredients list it's not harmful, because it's there for PH balance.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 23rd September 2010, 5:55 pm

I just checked my bottles also (Yes to Cucumbers, Carrots, and Tomatoes) and none of them have Sodium Hydroxide. I got mine from Ross and Walgreens...maybe Target has a new/different version??
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 23rd September 2010, 8:58 pm

I'll definitely have to stock up next time I see it in Ross.

Last edited by Renny on 24th September 2010, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by lexi1 24th September 2010, 3:35 pm

It is listed on the new formula. I just purchased and used it. It is at the bottom of the list. To me there was no difference in the performance of this product. Smile

lexi1

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 28th September 2010, 11:53 am

Thanks for the heads up I got some from Walgreens and I can't even remember if I checked the ingredients bacause of the rave reviews.. I got the Yes to tomatoes from Ross.. I think I did check the back of that. Its best to stock up on the old version..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by kandibree 4th October 2010, 5:55 pm

I purchased my first bottle of YTC from Target a few months back and sodium hydroxide was not listed in the ingredients. Yesterday, I went to Walgreens to get a new bottle and yep, sodium hydroxide was listed. I know it's low on the list but I won't be repurchasing.
kandibree
kandibree

Back to top Go down

Post by ttndahouse 17th October 2010, 11:55 pm

I previously purchased YTC from Ross, but when it was time to restock and I couldn't find it there, I broke down and bought it from Target. Trust I was really trying to save some money but I had fallen in love with YTC. I noticed that the label was different and after using it my hair also did not feel quite the same as it normally does. After reading your post I compared a bottle that I bought from Ross with the one from Target I saw sodium hydroxide listed. This new version does not agree with my hair don't think I will be purchasing YTC anymore!
ttndahouse
ttndahouse

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 18th October 2010, 10:57 am

Sodium hydroxide helps to reduce the acidity of the conditioner.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/sodium-hydroxide-lye-is-always-lye-or.html

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 18th October 2010, 12:05 pm

Wow. And I love YTCucumbers... I need to check my bottle for ingredients. That's really too bad because I'm on the fence about buying it in the future now.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 18th October 2010, 2:14 pm

I have a full 'new' bottle at home. I will check later today. Is it in Yes to Carrots also?
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 18th October 2010, 7:41 pm

It's a pH adjuster in low concentrations. I have a facial cream that is mostly natural but contains NaOH as well. I say, if it's working for your hair there's no reason to stop using it. It's not something of detriment. At least not to me. If you ate fast food today, I'm pretty sure there were worse things in it. Just my opinion. I do watch ingredients and try to use all natural products. I stay away from things that can cause the health of my hair to suffer such as sulfates, mineral oil, and cones. But I don't see a big deal about this.

On Cosmetic Database, sodium hydroxide has a good guide rating of 3/10. So it can't be too bad. Here's the link.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=706075

This is the site I use to get my information about product ingredients.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ttndahouse 25th October 2010, 10:48 pm

Well it may not be harming my hair but it is also not agreeing with hair either, looking for a new conditioner!
ttndahouse
ttndahouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Jettiemae 28th October 2010, 4:16 pm

I had been using the Yes To Cucumbers conditioner for a while as both my detangling conditoner and as a leave-in. The last bottle that I bought, I noticed that the label had changed, but I didn't see anything where they said that they had updated/changed the formula so I went ahead and purchased. Usually YTC conditioner detangles like a dream - tangles literally feel like they melt away! But this time I immediately noticed a difference - it felt like the conditioner was just sitting on my hair. The smell was different, too. While the new formula doesn't smell bad, it definitely doesn't smell as good as the old. Afterwards, when I compared the ingredients in the new formula to the ingredients in the old one I noticed that several other ingredients had been added/removed/switched around in addition to the sodium hydroxide. Personally, I won't be buying YTC again mainly because it doesn't perform the same for me anymore. I've gone back to using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner as my detangling conditioner.
Jettiemae
Jettiemae

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th October 2010, 4:36 pm

Oh wow. This sucks. I didn't know the new formula didn't work as well. I've only bought it from Ross. So I guess I'll keep doing that. As much as I love this conditioner I probably wouldn't repurchase. Not because of the ingredients, but I'm such a PJ I'll probably want to try something new. Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 30th October 2010, 6:50 pm

hmm i just bought a bottle of YTC..and notice last night while washing my hair out with it my curls were a little bit looser..it was a big difference but they were a lil more looser and a lot softer..although this product has sodium hydroxide I still gotta give it its prop..this products does wonders!!

so i guess sodium hydroxide is going to just become my friend because i cant let it go!!!! I mite swing by ross and Walgreen and see it there ingredients are different
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by thicktjt88 5th November 2010, 3:05 pm

Thanks for all of the info ladies!!! I found some old formulas of the product at Walgreens. I like it but since sooner of later all there is going to be is the new formula, I won't be repurchasing.
thicktjt88
thicktjt88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down