CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Co-wash vs. Shampooing

+14
.:Eden:.
Winnielours
NubieNatty
Akayou
Marche'
GrowingThere
VickiC2003
Moni
dajewel
tiashaunteé
ishmaygrandchild
Lynnieluve
labon10
Antonette
18 posters

Go down

Co-wash vs. Shampooing Empty Co-wash vs. Shampooing

Post by Antonette 20th November 2009, 3:31 am

Hi Ladies,

I recently joined this blog and have learned great tips about caring for natural hair. However, I do have a concern with co-washing on a reg basis versus shampooing hair every one or two months. I have noticed that my curls seem to pop after a co-wash, but I thought shampoo remove build-up and impurities from the scalp which will result in more hair growth.

Thanks...

Antonette

Back to top Go down

Co-wash vs. Shampooing Empty Re: Co-wash vs. Shampooing

Post by labon10 20th November 2009, 10:18 am

If you don't use a lot of products that sit on the hair/scalp, you don't have worry about build-up. It really depends on your daily routine. Try it for one month and see if it works for you.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th November 2009, 12:08 pm

Antonette,

I shampoo 1-2x a month or as needed. If I use products that cause buildup, then I shampoo.

When I first BC, I was shampooing my hair once a week. My hair was dry and crunchy. Like Labon10, try it for a month and see how your hair reacts. Always do what's best for YOUR hair.

HTH - hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ishmaygrandchild 20th November 2009, 12:36 pm

I'm one of the few naturals that I know that still uses shampoo on a regular basis (every two weeks), like I did when I was relaxed. Conditioner just didn't clean my hair as much as I wanted it to be cleaned and it always left me with an itchy scalp and made my hair feel coated and heavy.

I would try each method for a month (like previously stated) and see what yields the best results for your hair...every head is like a fingerprint, what works for one may not work for the other.
ishmaygrandchild
ishmaygrandchild

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th November 2009, 12:41 pm

I use shampoo at least twice a month. Depending on what I have done to myself I may shampoo my scalp and hair. If I haven't used a lot of product I only shampoo my scalp. I "grease" my scalp using the shampoo and focus on massaging that out when shampooing. I like doing that because my hair isn't left feeling extra dry but my scalp still has that clean feeling
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonette 20th November 2009, 3:19 pm

I myself shampoo every two weeks, but I will try the co-wash for a month and see how my hair react. Thanks ladies for the responses. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Antonette

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 20th November 2009, 4:52 pm

i shampoo usually once a month (or when needed). i co-wash once a week (or when needed?)
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 23rd November 2009, 1:51 am

To add to the shampoo v co-wash debate, there are other ways to clarify your hair without shampooing. I'm currently loving a bentonite clay mask to clean my hair. You can also use baking soda to clarify.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonette 24th November 2009, 2:38 am

Thanks ladies.....

Antonette

Back to top Go down

Post by VickiC2003 24th November 2009, 8:07 pm

I'm new to this, so excuse me if this sounds ignorant but will someone please explain what co-washing is? Thanks!
VickiC2003
VickiC2003

Back to top Go down

Post by GrowingThere 24th November 2009, 11:02 pm

@VickiC2003, Co-washing is short for conditioner only washing...as in no shampoo, just conditioner.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
GrowingThere
GrowingThere

Back to top Go down

Post by Marche' 25th November 2009, 1:27 am

I noticed that my hair doesnt absorb product very well and tangles if I dont wash it for a log period of time. It has varied over that past year and I have settled on washing every week. My hair actually gets dry if I dont shapoo weekly. I also dc weekly so it kind balances out.
Marche'
Marche'

Back to top Go down

Post by Akayou 30th November 2009, 1:56 am

wow thanks i didnt know any of this
Akayou
Akayou

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 30th November 2009, 2:10 am

i poo once a week becuz the ocd in me needs to see suds to validate my hair is clean, lol. sometimes i use suave clarifyer ($1 on sale) and sometimes i use matchin poo w/condish (HH, giovanni n suave). other than that i co-wash every 2 days.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Winnielours 30th November 2009, 2:24 am

If you're concerned about the shampooing try pre-pooing before. I pre-poo with coconut oil and my hair feels so soft.

As all the ladies have mentioned...its all about how your hair likes it.

Keep updating on how the co-wash vs. shampoo battle is going!
Winnielours
Winnielours

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonette 1st December 2009, 10:51 pm

Hi Ladies,

Okay, shampooing once a month doesn't work for me. My hair was so oily my forehead broke out in bumps. So I'm going to wash every two weeks and co wash once a week. Thanks for the tips ladies.

Antonette

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 5th December 2009, 6:34 pm

I'm currently on a CG regimen so I don't shampoo. If I need to remove buildup I do a baking soda treatment. I have some giovanni shampoo, I'm not sure if I want to use it once a month until it's finished or give it away.

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 7th December 2009, 10:18 am

I shampoo once or twice a month, but I co-wash once or twice a week. For my hair, shampooing is really only needed for clarifying.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy 11th January 2010, 1:39 pm

Like someone else I'm new to this and am curious about what products cause the kind of buildup that needs to be shampooed. I keep hearing Moisturize , Moisturize so of course I use coconut oil, castor oil and shea butter on my hair. Are these products causing the kind of buildup that needs to be shampooed?

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 11th January 2010, 1:42 pm

shazzy wrote:Like someone else I'm new to this and am curious about what products cause the kind of buildup that needs to be shampooed. I keep hearing Moisturize , Moisturize so of course I use coconut oil, castor oil and shea butter on my hair. Are these products causing the kind of buildup that needs to be shampooed?

You'd be surprised, after using product on top of product you can get alot of residue and build up. I know when doing twist outs and braid outs with cantu shea butter leave in I can see build up after a few days, sometimes I use gel on my edges when i use the cantu and using both of those together can lead to residue as well....It really depends on how you use your products and how much you use.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy 11th January 2010, 1:50 pm

Thanks. I have color on my hair so I'm fighting dryness as well. So is the clarifying shampoo harmless.?Is shampooing bad even if it's sulfate and cone free?

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 11th January 2010, 1:58 pm

i know sulfates can dry your hair out and it really depends on how much and how often you are using the shampoo as well....I have never used a sulfate/cone free shampoo but you can try it and see how it works....I use v05 clarifying conditioner and those work great for me Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 11th January 2010, 2:33 pm

I have been co-washing now for maybe 3 weeks?.. confused and my hair feels good and is not as dry but my scalp itches like crazy!.. scratch. So i am wondering if it is the coconut oil that is causing the itching or if it is still some kind of build up on my scalp. Now I did workout saturday and maybe it's the salt on my scalp that is causing the itching. How do you clarify w/baking soda ?
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy 11th January 2010, 2:56 pm

Thanks, I guess it will be a lot of trail and error.

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 11th January 2010, 5:05 pm

ishmaygrandchild wrote:I'm one of the few naturals that I know that still uses shampoo on a regular basis (every two weeks), like I did when I was relaxed. Conditioner just didn't clean my hair as much as I wanted it to be cleaned and it always left me with an itchy scalp and made my hair feel coated and heavy.

I would try each method for a month (like previously stated) and see what yields the best results for your hair...every head is like a fingerprint, what works for one may not work for the other.

I agree. Same here. I just feel like my hair is not getting thoroughly clean with conditioner alone. In the BC days I co-washed, but as my hair grows I feel the need to use shampoo more.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down