CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cowashing vs. Shampooing

+3
Naturalin2010
Lynnieluve
*TB*
7 posters

Go down

Cowashing vs. Shampooing Empty Cowashing vs. Shampooing

Post by *TB* 13th September 2010, 9:25 am

Good Morning Naturals!

I am fairly new to the natural world, so please excuse my mis-education...

As I am still learning what my hair likes and dislikes, I have been experimenting with different products and techniques. I find that shampooing is not yeilding the results I would like to see when compared to soft, defined curls I get from co-washing. So, my question is...is it ok to only co-wash my hair or is shampooing a "requirement" to achieve healthier, stronger, longer hair?
*TB*
*TB*

Back to top Go down

Cowashing vs. Shampooing Empty Re: Cowashing vs. Shampooing

Post by Lynnieluve 13th September 2010, 10:28 am

Try shampooing less and see how your hair responds.

I started out shampooing every week when I BC'd and it dried my hair out. So I started shampooing once a month and it worked for me. Now that my hair is longer, I shampoo once a week again. For me, it's what I do to my hair after I shampoo it, that makes the difference...moisturizing it very well.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 13th September 2010, 11:25 am

I cowash my hair 2x/week, but only shampoo only 1x/wk. I'm like Lynnieluve, after shampooing is what makes the difference to my hair. I never shampoo my hair without a deep conditioning for at least an hr (without my hair bonnet) or 30 min sitting under my dryer. My hair comes out uber soft afterwards.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 13th September 2010, 11:41 am

Maybe its the type of shampoo you are using. If your shampoo has sulfates in it they are drying out your hair. When I have tried sulfate shampoos in the past, my hair was tangled and dried out like crazy. I use Creme of Nature (the old formula that you can't really find anywhere anymore) and I shampoo my hair once a week without a problem.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 13th September 2010, 11:48 am

I wouldn't say that shampooing is a requirement because you really want to design your hair regimen around your hair's needs. There are some ppl that eliminate shampoo completely. I shampoo every week (in the Spring/Summer) but I learned through trial and error that I need to or I will itch like crazy.

I agree with Lynnie, try decreasing your shampooing until you get the results you want.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 14th September 2010, 7:02 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:I wouldn't say that shampooing is a requirement because you really want to design your hair regimen around your hair's needs. There are some ppl that eliminate shampoo completely. I shampoo every week (in the Spring/Summer) but I learned through trial and error that I need to or I will itch like crazy.

I agree with Lynnie, try decreasing your shampooing until you get the results you want.

I agree.

I poo about 1x month (that goes for me & my lil one).
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 15th September 2010, 3:31 am

You don't have to shampoo regularly. Co-washing changed my hair completely for the better!!! I only shampoo when I feel I have product build-up or just when I feel like doing it (I love how the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo feels & smells). Co-washing gets my hair clean though.

Have u ever tried a no-poo? I've used DevaCare no-poo & loved it but recently I tried Hair One from Sally's & I LOVE this! It is very cleansing but also very moisturizing. My curls have so much definition & my hair is super soft. I haven't shampooed since I bought it more than a month ago.

I think the only time I will shampoo now is once a month or so when I treat with the Cantu Grow Strong strengthening treatment & SheaMoisture Restorative spray. Both are pretty oily so I'll probably need to shampoo to wash it out.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by *TB* 15th September 2010, 8:11 am

Thanks ladies for all your help! I will definitely try a couple more things before I give up on shampoo completely. I was browsing YouTube the other day and came across Kimmaytube’s shampooing method where she shampoos, applies oil to her hair, and then conditions. Have any of you tried this method? What were your results?
*TB*
*TB*

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th September 2010, 10:48 am

I've tried it and love the results. You apply the oil first to help remove the shed hairs, then shampoo, squeeze out the excess suds, apply conditioner on top of the shampoo (she called it buffering). This helps your hair not feel stripped when you rinse.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down