CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is your natural hair "easy to manage?"

+6
tiashaunteé
kinksncurls
kbelle
mrsrenaissance
ChrsLvsBks
JazmineB
10 posters

Go down

is your natural hair "easy to manage?" Empty is your natural hair "easy to manage?"

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 11:27 am

i LOVE my hair but i wouldn't call it easy to manage. it takes forever to "pre-poo" with coconut oil, wash, rinse, deep condition, sit under a heat cap, rinse that out, finger detangle with conditioner, then detangle with a wide tooth comb, rinse that out, put leave in conditioner in, jojoba oil in, detangle with a smaller comb, and finally style and seal with shea butter. it ends up taking me two whole days to finish with breaks included confused
its a little discouraging, but it HAS encouraged me to leave protective styles in more, so i guess thats a good thing. i just wish i could wear my hair out more often, but i don't have time to do all that frequently.
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

is your natural hair "easy to manage?" Empty Re: is your natural hair "easy to manage?"

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th September 2010, 11:47 am

My typical routine is as follows.

-Pre-poo for one hour - I detangle as I do so. I spritz hair until slightly damp then make no less than six sections. Twist each section after pre-poo is applied. (Can do overnight for extra conditioning)

-Cleanse and condition or DC in sections - Twist after adding conditioner

-If DCing - sit under steamer 25 minutes or so

-Style - WnGs for now

Total time: 2 - 2.5 hours, not too bad, IMO

I typically DC on non-cleansing days. On those days, total time is 30-45 minutes.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

is your natural hair "easy to manage?" Empty Re: is your natural hair "easy to manage?"

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 12:18 pm

ChrsLvsBks, is that total time including detangling too? it takes me 2 hours just to detangle alone! i HOPE i'll be able to get it done that quickly one day. . .
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 8th September 2010, 12:55 pm

Shocked I guess it depends on your routine. I'm a less is more kinda girl.

Shampoo w/clarifying shampoo in shower
Apply conditioner, cover w/plastic cap for a few min., detangle w/fingers then rinse
Detangle & apply leave in (takes me about 25 min at the most)
Pull back into a loose bun

It takes me less than an hour total. Every other wk I DC which adds maybe 20 min. If I do braids for a braid out on 2nd day damp hair it takes me 20 min or so., then it dries over night.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by kbelle 8th September 2010, 2:37 pm

I have noticed for me, the length as well as what I have done to my hair since the last wash matters.
I have been keeping my hair in twists before washing, which is fine but if I leave them in too long --- WHOA on the detangling session Shocked
But my other styles and wash and gos are okay if I detangle with plenty of condish or under running water. I have also considered that I may need to wash my hair in twists and detangle as I go because my coils get too friendly sometimes LOL.
kbelle
kbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 8th September 2010, 3:25 pm

My hair takes forever too! I usually wear natural braids which take me about 4 to 5 hours after my hair has been detangled, and I generally wash and condition the day before. It takes me about two days but I don't put that time in every weekend.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th September 2010, 3:32 pm

It typically takes me 1-2hr depending on the style.
I prepoo for 30mins or more but i don't count that time because I am always doing something else after I oil up.

I shampoo, condition, and rinse in 15mins. I stopped conditioning for long periods of time after noticing that my hair is the same after 10mins compared to 1 hour.

If I am doing twists, that is another hour. For a bun, I am done about 5mins after getting out of the shower.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 8th September 2010, 4:39 pm

I am presently trying to do my hair every6- weeks (let's see how that works)

Routine-Wash with Indian powders the night before, deep condition for a couple of hours then Henna for about 6-8hrs rinse then put in protect style which takes about 5-6 hours. i basically take one week every 6-8 weeks to do my hair. i have done it twice before and my hair grew a lot, so lets' see.
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 8th September 2010, 5:44 pm

I try to keep my hair in a two-strand twists for a week or so. Sometimes I'll take it down and wear a twist-out. I also exercise 2-3 times a week so I let my hair get wet in the shower then moisturize and seal. On weekends I'll pre-poo, wash, dc and then style. It usually takes 2-3 hrs depending on my motivation. I'll twist my hair while watching shows on demand, lol.

So, I don't think my hair is "easy to manage" but I prefer taking care of it myself. Also once I do it on the weekend I don't have to worry about it. Instead of waking up at least 30 mins early each day, I get to sleep. It's a worthwhile trade-off, imo.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 8th September 2010, 8:16 pm

I don't think my hair is "easy to manage" but I have a routine that works for me. I try to keep is as simple as possible.

I keep my hair is twists. I work out 5 days a week so I usually wash and condition my twists daily, re-twist the roots, moisturize and let it air dry. This process usually takes me about 30 minutes, which I do while I'm watching TV. Thursday, Friday & Saturday, I'll rock my twist out. Sunday, I deep condish and start all over again. I've seen a lot of growth because I'm not letting the sweat dry out my hair and I"m conditioning daily.
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 8th September 2010, 10:44 pm

I used to have a complicated routine with the prepooing and what not. Now I simply wash when I feel buildup, DC when I wash, and cowash every 2 to 3 days. Oh and I detangle about once a week with a Jilbere shower comb. That's about as involved as my routine is and life is so much easier this way. You may want to look into simplifying your routine
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th September 2010, 10:58 pm

JazmineB wrote:ChrsLvsBks, is that total time including detangling too? it takes me 2 hours just to detangle alone! i HOPE i'll be able to get it done that quickly one day. . .
The total time does include detangling. My hair typically takes a couple of minutes to detangle. Once I let the conditioner sit on my hair for a couple of minutes, my hair is pretty easy to detangle.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 10th September 2010, 4:31 am

thanks guys. . .it feels good to know that i'm not alone. =] whenever i try to detangle quickly (less than 2 hours for me) or even try using a comb before THOROUGHLY finger combing i end up with breakage, so i'm just gonna take my time now and try not to compare my hair time to anyone else's. I'm still a little jealous though. . .lol
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down