CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED

+9
Ms.Mai
Lynnieluve
DvaAuNaturel
Kea::curls
MrsSunshinz
freckledmom4
JazmineB
Niqui36
KeAnia
13 posters

Go down

DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED Empty DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED

Post by KeAnia 7th September 2010, 11:58 am

I am sitting here at work and wondering why are deep conditionings necessary. I have asked this question to several people and I have gotten a different answer from everyone. Some say that yes it is necessary while others say no. I have had people tell me that since I am no longer putting any harsh chemicals in my hair there is no need.

I respect and trust my fellow curlies so I want to know what you all think? How often do you Deep Condition and if so what is your recipe.

THank you all in Advance [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED Empty Re: DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED

Post by Niqui36 7th September 2010, 1:44 pm

I DC everytime I wash my hair which if I'm not wearing minitwists in about every 10 days. I use either SheaMoisture Masque or my BeeMine conditioner and sometimes I'll add an oil like olive oil to the conditioner. Then I sit under my steamer for about 20 minutes. I think DC-ing is important and it definately helps me retain length and with dryness. HTH!
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED Empty Re: DEEP CONDITONINGS are they really NEEDED

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 11:00 am

i don't think they are absolutely necessary for length retention. i think keeping your hair in protective styles would be better for retention than deep conditioning. but it is great for softness. I did my first *proper* deep conditioning last week with honey, trader joe's conditioner, coconut oil, olive oil and avocado oil and my hair felt softer than ever before.
i don't think they're absolutely necessary, but why not? id rather be over moisturized than have dry hair thats breaking off
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 8th September 2010, 12:35 pm

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant when I said it helps to retain length. Because keeping my hair at the proper moisture levels by doing regular DC's in addition to keeping it moisturized keeps it from being dry and breaking off. Thus length retention. My hair will get super dry if I don't do them.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 12:43 pm

well then i guess i agree. . .lol . i end up only doing mine like once a month though and keep it in braids or twists during the time in between & it never breaks.
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 8th September 2010, 1:15 pm

I think it depends on your hair. My hair is very porous and tends to get dry easy so I dc atleast once a week. It also helps to get my hair back to health after I've used some product that didn't agree or have been out in the sun too long.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 8th September 2010, 6:48 pm

Thanks Ladies

I enjoy getting to know how everyone feel about different things. Personally, I agree with DC I just haven't found a proper one for my hair yet. I have seen a couple of recipes and seen a few videos I just haven't done any yet.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsSunshinz 8th September 2010, 9:39 pm

i'm sittin under the dryer now with my DC in my head. I DC once a week with SheaMoisture Masque and I LOVE it. DC'ing is necessary for me because my hair gets super dry if I don't. Youtuber Shauntae1 has an awesome DC recipe that I use to do but I got lazy in mixing stuff so i just go to Target and pick up the masque
MrsSunshinz
MrsSunshinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 8th September 2010, 9:54 pm

I use SheaMoisture as a DC once every week, TOO. I feel the need to DC every week in order to keep my hair moisturized. For me, this means that the hair is more supple = can stretch and bend without automatically leading to breakage. My hair breaks most when its dry, this causes it to just "snap." I also use my post-DC hair as an opportunity for easy detangling Smile afro

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 10th September 2010, 8:23 pm

My hair has the tendency to be super dry. I'm sure it has something to do with my hair's porosity. When I DC my hair feels much better after and by better I mean softer, moisturized, and healthy. I can definitely tell the difference. And now that I have color I plan to DC more regularly. The SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque is my #1 DC at this time. I'ts the bomb and works perfectly and that fact that I can get it while picking up my other household items while shopping in my local Tarjay makes it even better. Very Happy
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th September 2010, 8:57 pm

My hair feels better when I deep condition. Is it necessary? In my mind it is. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I've always done it as a natural. I deep condition every time I wash my hair which is usually once a week.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Mai 10th September 2010, 9:09 pm

I DC every two weeks. Love it so much I am tempted to do it every week. If I didn't have such a busy schedule I would. It leaves my hair soft and therefore healthy. I love it, can't live without it.
Ms.Mai
Ms.Mai

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe71 10th September 2010, 9:41 pm

I'm with the majority on this one. I DC at least twice a week with either Giovanni SAS Deeper Moisture or Aubrey Organics HSR (I mix them with honey and some EVOO and/or jojoba oil)....I love how my hair feels after a good DC!
ReRe71
ReRe71

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 10th September 2010, 10:32 pm

Thanks Ladies
I want to tell you all thanks for the input. I always like to know what others are thinking and how you guys take care of your Crown of Glory. I am currently sitting wiht a Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque on SugaBabe now.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by elleeccentric 11th September 2010, 12:45 pm

i need to get my hands on the shea moisture hair mask! I love a good DC. it helps me combat midweek dryness, which usually occurs 3-4 days post-wash for me.
My local target is all out of the mask Sad i've been stalking them for the past several weeks
elleeccentric
elleeccentric

http://twitter.com/elleeccentric

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 11th September 2010, 1:47 pm

It helps me with my moisture but I honestly do it on my weekends to unwind. I find it theraputic lol
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 11th September 2010, 2:18 pm

I questioned the DC for a bit and stopped doing it. Then I decided to start again the beginning of the summer every other week and it really made a difference. The longest I do it for is 45 minutes with Renpure Organics My Hair Is Parched. For me, the DC really depends on the weather that week because then I access what my hair needs.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down