CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed Please.

3 posters

Go down

Help needed Please. Empty Help needed Please.

Post by Ginger87 15th December 2010, 4:08 am

Hello all!
I have been transitioning my hair for the past year. During this time I have had my hair in braids and out of braids. The problem for me is when i don't have my hair braided up. I have the tendency to just throw a hat on my head and walk out the door. I'm tired of this and so is my family and friends. I finally wore my hair out for a special occasion and everyone loved my natural hair! They said i should wear it out more often, which i want to do. I'm not sure how normal this is for other women, but my hair has more than one type of texture to it and seems hard to manage. Some parts will be tightly curled, while other parts may be wavy. I have tried different products and haven't found one that I liked to use or works well on my hair. My hair is very fragile it seems and will break off, especially in the back. Slightly frustrated, but love my hair too much to go back to the chemicals. They never worked well to begin with. So can someone give me some advice, help or even a hang in there will help me out tons. Very Happy
Take care all!
Ginger87
Ginger87

Back to top Go down

Help needed Please. Empty Re: Help needed Please.

Post by misskris 15th December 2010, 11:40 am

Aww, Hey Ginger87!!!! And welcome to CN!!! You will LOVE it here. Everyone is super nice and gives great info. First, make sure you moisturize your hair as often as it's needed. That's like the most important thing for our hair! And seal it in with a good oil like jojoba, evoo, coconut, shea butter.... What are you using on your right now? You can try really pretty protective styles to keep your hair/ends hidden from the weather/elements. You can search kimmaytube, or moptopmaven or anyone even just under "protective styles" on youtube. SO much good stuff is on there too. Or type in protective styles on here!!! Ask all of uas as many questions as you need to. We're all here to help/support each other.
And DO hang in there. Natural hair can be tough to handle sometimes but once you find the right routine and products it will become a lot easier!!! Good Luck!!!!! dance
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger87 17th December 2010, 6:06 pm

Thanks for replying misskris!
A question about the different oils. Should i use products that contain those oils, or just use the oils alone? As well with the shea butter, i have products that contain shea butter. Is that good enough?
Thanks for the help, I will be looking for protective styles to put my hair in. I appriciate it a lot.
Thank you again!
Ginger87
Ginger87

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 17th December 2010, 7:09 pm

Hey Ginger. You're welcome. As for the oils, that is your preference. I use the oils alone right now but I know there are some good products with these oils in it. You just have to try and see which you like best. Same for the shea butter. I think that if the products are all natural or as natural as possible and the shea is one of the 1st ingredients it's good. If the shea (or the oils) are way down at the end of the ingredient list than there really isn't much in the product for that ingredient to be beneficial. You can also make your own shea butter whips. If you go to the thread on here called Homemade Products you can find some good recipes.
We're all here to help each other, so no problem!! Very Happy

santa
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 22nd December 2010, 12:36 am

Hi Ginger aka My Philly Sista,

Have you ever heard of/tried Amla powder? It helps to define the curl. I use Amla to counteract the effect of Henna (which loosens my curl pattern). Perhaps, if you use it, it would make your texture more uniform. It also helps to strengthen your hair. I order from butters-n-bars.com, because there are no "good" Indian stores in the city.

Good Luck

Melanie
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 22nd December 2010, 12:53 am

P.S- MissKris is right, our hair needs moisture. Moisture is not oils/butters. Those are used to seal the hair after you moisturize. The best moisturizer is water. So most curlies use a "spray" mix with water, veggie glycerine, aloevera, and some type of oil, so we are moisturizing and sealing the moisture in all in one step. It is important that a moisturizer have water as the first ingredient. Shea butter, EVOO, EVCO, JoJoba, are sealants or carrier oils. My recommendation is to avoid the beauty supply store and go to GNC or WholeFoods, etc. to get your oils.

Carrier oils are also good to use with essential oils which are very different, and should not be applied directly to your hair. Essential oils are peppermint, lavander, almond, etc. These are heavily concentrated, so you can't apply them directly in your hair. Therefore, you mix a few drops with a carrier oil (EVCO, EVOO, Jojoba) prior to applying.

One more thing (Don't be overwhelmed). You have to know what hair type/texture/thickness/porosity you have? Not just the curl pattern. For example, my hair is fine and overly porous. Meaning, my hair stands are not thick, and have holes in them. Therefore, as quickly as a product absorbs into my hair, it is released. I have to do major protein treatments to fill in those holes. Therefore, too many oils/butters do nothing more than weigh my hair down. It will become very important to read labels. Check out www.livecurlylivefree.com That's where I got info to learn what kind of hair I have so that I can know what to put in it!

Ok, I'm done for now!!!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger87 2nd January 2011, 1:08 am

Hi Mel! Hi Kris!
Thanks for the information on the oils and moisturizing products for the hair. I really appreciate it.

I never heard of Amla powder before, but its great to try new things for the hair. With the hair type, I'm still not sure about that, so thanks for the web link.

This forum is a life saver or should i say hair saver lol. I just got finish my first two strand twist style and it came out great! I was happy with the results and just loving how my natural hair works.
Thanks again ladies and have a Happy New Year!! woot!
Ginger87
Ginger87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down