CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loosening Curls!!!

+4
C.
Renny
Lynnieluve
SuperBadd
8 posters

Go down

Loosening Curls!!!  Empty Loosening Curls!!!

Post by SuperBadd 31st August 2010, 1:55 pm

Hi Curlies!!!

Just wanted to know if there were any tips for loosening curls, whether its styling or product?? I have MAJOR shrinkage.. and I wanted a little length to it. I love my curl pattern (kinda looks like a straw set). Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Loosening Curls!!!  Empty Re: Loosening Curls!!!

Post by Lynnieluve 31st August 2010, 2:11 pm

What is your signature style? This will help me answer your question.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 31st August 2010, 11:06 pm

I have the same question. I'm doing wash n go's with gels and it's so tight. I have really tight curls that I'd love to see loosen up just a bit. I was thinking it would probably happen as it grows and gets heavier, but I figured I'd throw the question out there since someone else was asking.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 1st September 2010, 12:06 am

@Renny- ditto. i have been experimenting with products for the perfect combo, but to no avail. Eco styler looks ok when wet, but when it dries my hair shrinks by 50% at least. I wanna show my length AND curl pattern

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 1st September 2010, 12:17 am

KCC - I was definitely not happy with the shrinkage from Ecostyler and I do think it was becuase my hair had to be so wet to style with it. Water + shrinkage.

The shrinkage was been much better with the Herbal Essence Set Me Up Gel. I do this with hair a little more than damp and it defines my curls. No dripping wet or even close to dripping wet hair is required with this. At least not for me. The HE Gel is less crunchy and it plays well with my Shea Moisture Curl and Style the next day when I refresh it. Once I put the Shea Moisture in, all the crunch is gone and it's soft.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 1st September 2010, 1:36 pm

@ LynnieLuve: I've tried a twist-out and sat under the dryer, failed! I've also tried a W-N-G with Eco styler, failed! Both times my hair has been wet. I'm not sure if that's a problem. My hair is like a sponge, so i'm not sure that has something to do with it (shrug). Just wanting to see what I could do differently for a little more length.

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 1st September 2010, 2:30 pm

I just returned this product, but you may want to give it a try.
http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=715&rid=300

After buying it I decided it's best I wait until I'm completely natural (otherwise it may do the opposite of what I need right now which is keep my relaxed ends relaxed) before trying it. It was $20 for the jar but I buy things like this at Ulta. If it doesn't work they'll give you a refund.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 1st September 2010, 3:57 pm

Renny wrote:KCC - I was definitely not happy with the shrinkage from Ecostyler and I do think it was becuase my hair had to be so wet to style with it. Water + shrinkage.

The shrinkage was been much better with the Herbal Essence Set Me Up Gel. I do this with hair a little more than damp and it defines my curls. No dripping wet or even close to dripping wet hair is required with this. At least not for me. The HE Gel is less crunchy and it plays well with my Shea Moisture Curl and Style the next day when I refresh it. Once I put the Shea Moisture in, all the crunch is gone and it's soft.

I love your avitar Smile What is your routine with the HE Set Me Up Gel. I just bought this, this morning and will probably use either tonight or in the morning. I co-washed my hair this morning with TJ TTT conditioner. So, the only thing I havein my hair is Giovianni Deep Moisture leave in, veggie glycerin oil, aloe vera gel, jojobo oil and castor oil.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 1st September 2010, 5:10 pm

@ MrsRenaissance: Thanks alot! I will give it a try!

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 1st September 2010, 5:33 pm

Hi SuperBadd,

May I suggest the following tutorial - it's located under CurlyNikki's videos tab.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/07/defining-curl-in-4b4c-natural-hair.html

I believe in KISS (keep it short and simple) so I modified her technique and it's working for me.

1. Apply my leave in and/or favorite oil to damp hair.

2. Band to dry. Stretches your hair for additional length and volume.

3. Apply your gel with fingertips. No rattail combs for me.

You may sit under the bonnet dryer for a few minutes, or use a diffuser until it starts to set.

Don't go to bed with damp coils! You may fluff, mist or let the shower steam refresh your coils in the AM if they flatten down overnight.

Works for me. HTH.
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 5th September 2010, 10:00 am

Naturalin2010 wrote:
Renny wrote:KCC - I was definitely not happy with the shrinkage from Ecostyler and I do think it was becuase my hair had to be so wet to style with it. Water + shrinkage.

I love your avitar Smile What is your routine with the HE Set Me Up Gel. I just bought this, this morning and will probably use either tonight or in the morning. I co-washed my hair this morning with TJ TTT conditioner. So, the only thing I havein my hair is Giovianni Deep Moisture leave in, veggie glycerin oil, aloe vera gel, jojobo oil and castor oil.

Naturalin - What I do is wash or cowash my hair and use a tee-shirt to plop rather than a towel to dry it. I add my Giovanni Direct-Leavein or Yes to Cucumbers Leave-in and then seal my ends with coconut oil. I'm a lazy sealer and my hair is short, so it amounts to just making sure to coat all the ends with a little oil. Then I coat my entire head with the gel. I don't use a lot. It doesn't take alot. I then section and go through just raking the product through smaller sections. I've done the twirling method before and that's time-consuming. It was beautiful, but really, I like it when it's just raked through so no point working that hard with it. I do twirl the hair on the sides that doesn't curl as easily, but that's it. It a foamy gel so it doesn't take that long to dry. Plus my hair isn't soaking wet when I apply it so it doesn't take long to dry. The shrinkage isn't that bad either. I shake my head too. Sometimes I forget, but the shaking really helps pop those curls to life.

I put a little coconut oil on my hands and much it in before bed. (I used to use cocount oil and shea butter, but I'm taking shea butter out of my rotation, my hair doesn't like it). The next morning I use a little bit of Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk to refresh it, click down those edges and I'm on my way. I usually wash my hair 5 or 6 days later. I also sometimes add gel along the way to give a curl or two or three a pick me up. Somedays I rewet a little with my spray bottle (aloe vera juice, water and glycerin). The results are always great. I'm very happy.

What I like about it is that it has great shine and it plays well with other products. My hair never feels dry from this product which is amazing to me. Please let me know what you think. I think alot of curlies are sleeping on this gel.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 14th September 2010, 6:35 pm

SuperBadd wrote:Hi Curlies!!!

Just wanted to know if there were any tips for loosening curls, whether its styling or product?? I have MAJOR shrinkage.. and I wanted a little length to it. I love my curl pattern (kinda looks like a straw set). Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

I have major shrinkage as well. My hair sits on my shoulders (dry) but stretches to my waist. When I want to show length and curl, I'll use more oil based products and less water based. Also (and this is very important)...after applying my butters, oils, etc, I will stretch my hair and let air dry.

Stretch a wash and go... (quick dry method)
Use a satin scrunchie to make a ponytail (medium tension)... then band the rest of the length. Once dry, remove the bands and ponytail holder and viola! a stretched WnG!
- or -
make a ponytail, twist or braid the length until dry, then remove the twist or braid (sometimes I'll make several twists/braids)
- or -
make a ponytail, form a bun (or bantu knot) with the length until dry, remove the bun
- or -
(my fav go to method)
Carefree's Cross Wrap method...(reminds me of wrapping on relaxed hair)
make a ponytail (sometimes), then separate the ponytail into 2 sections (right and left sections). Wrap the right section around the left side on the head, secure with bobbie pins as you wrap. Wrap the left section around the right side of the head, secure with pins. Most times I'll secure with claw clamps or wave clips. Let air dry then set it free!

I'll begin with shoulder length WnGs that will stretch to lower shoulder blade WnG (most days).

HTH.

Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down