CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO?

+3
PaganWifey
swt_sunny
Miki
7 posters

Go down

RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO? Empty RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Post by Miki 25th August 2010, 6:18 pm

My roommate and are college students and live in DC. Our apartment is affordable, in a pretty decent neighborhood and SUPER close to campus BUT it has been plagued with issues since the beginning (mice, heating issues, flooding etc).

A week ago, we noticed water leaking from the ceiling and BLACK MOLD develping around the windows and the flooding from busted pipe has damaged our furniture. It has been a week and they've come in to make various repairs but the problem is still not fixed; the mold is still there and theyve left huge holes in our walls trying to find the plumbing problem but leaving us exposed to rodents and anything else.

We've asked to be accomodated but they refused and offered us $150 off of our rent. What should we do?

We've taken pictures, spoken to the landlord, a sweet older black lady (but kind of crazy) many times but have not yet called the management company because she seems nice and we don't want to go over her head or get her in trouble.
Miki
Miki

Back to top Go down

RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO? Empty Re: RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Post by swt_sunny 25th August 2010, 11:44 pm

I would definitely take your concerns to the mangement company (despite the fact that you may hurt the landlords feelings). You may also want to research/contact your dept of housing too. Mold like that could be potential dangerous and a health hazard!! It's better to be safe that sorry! I live in NYC and have had my fair share of rodent, leak etc. problems - the worst thing for me was coming home to an apt and not being able to relax because I was worried about various issues around the apt. You're paying good money shouldn't have to live in a subpar environment. I hope everything works out!!

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO? Empty Re: RENTAL NIGHTMARE!! MOLD, MICE, CRAZY LANDLORD..WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Post by PaganWifey 26th August 2010, 1:26 am

Raise hell. Black mold is dangerous. Sweet or not, if she's not doing her job you gotta keep it movin'.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 26th August 2010, 5:55 am

Co-sign all of the above. $150 is NOT going to compensate you for all the respiratory (SP?) issues you and your roomate might have if the problem goes uncorrected.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by AmariC05 26th August 2010, 5:10 pm

Do you have a tenants association were you live? It may help to report it to them in case you need to move and break your lease.
AmariC05
AmariC05

http://www.annalisa-online.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miki 26th August 2010, 7:06 pm

I just looked it up and sent them an email. Thanks so much @Amari!!
Miki
Miki

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 29th August 2010, 6:36 pm

I agree with what all the others said. Its time to stop being nice and start making strides to get up outta there!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 6th September 2010, 1:15 am

And DC has very tenant friendly laws, bad for landlords who rent to shady and deadbeat tenants, but great for paying and responsible tenants. If you have issues even after complaining to the management company you need to contact the DC Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Office.

You may also want to consider calling 311 (DC's City Services Non Emergency Line - http://311.dc.gov/) and explain your issue. They will direct you to the appropriate local agency for assistance.

Good luck!

p.s. in the future when you're doing busines and paying your money, no matter how nice or sweet someone is your well being is your first and main priority. Very Happy
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down