CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hair is shedding and scalp is itchy

4 posters

Go down

hair is shedding and scalp is itchy Empty hair is shedding and scalp is itchy

Post by luvn_me 12th August 2010, 4:02 pm

Well its been a little over a month since i bc'd and everything was going good! now all of the sudden when i wash my hair and detangle there's noticeably more hair in my hands, the comb, and on the shower floor! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] also my scalp is really itchy. i have no idea as to what could be causing this and looking for some advice.
luvn_me
luvn_me

Back to top Go down

hair is shedding and scalp is itchy Empty Re: hair is shedding and scalp is itchy

Post by London's Curling 12th August 2010, 5:18 pm

The exact same thing happened to me last summer and it was seborrhaic dermatitis. Go to your doc and get advice re. treatment. I waited too long and ended up losing hair in the process cause I itched and itched. I was prescribed something called Dermovate and it did the trick in about 3 days.
London's Curling
London's Curling

Back to top Go down

hair is shedding and scalp is itchy Empty Re: hair is shedding and scalp is itchy

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th August 2010, 5:23 pm

It may be your cycle of shedding and growth. A few months back, in April, I think. I experienced as did many other hear similar issues. If it lasts longer than a week or two, I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luvn_me 15th August 2010, 12:54 am

ok thanks ladies!
luvn_me
luvn_me

Back to top Go down

Post by willi77 21st August 2010, 11:00 am

Dermovate, wow it really worked in three days...what's your regimen and how did you use it?

willi77

Back to top Go down

Post by London's Curling 21st August 2010, 3:00 pm

Hi Willi77. I usually wash once a week and condition afterwards. I am totally SLS free and use only natural butters and oils. Found that this was necessary to protect my scalp and hair. I can't describe how bad my scalp was before the Dermovate treatment. If you can imagine it just felt so tight and looked absolutely snowflake white. If you looked closer, you could see that it looked like scales and these would come off to reveal a very angry red, sore looking scalp that would weep and bleed in places. I would have to wash my hair daily to just be able to comb it and leave the house, otherwise it would just be full of flakes. I resorted to wearing hats daily at one point, despite the heat, because I was just too embarrassed. One day I remember just breaking down into tears in front of the bathroom mirror because I was just too depressed by the whole situation. Most of the hair that I lost was in the back, and left me with shiny patches on the right and left, but thank God after the treatment my hair is now about 1 inch shy of BSL and all the patches are gone.

The Dermovate was really easy to use. You just part hair and apply directly to scalp. It has a very cooling effect because I think one of the ingredients is alcohol. You only use sparingly but the results are quick. It's also steroid based, so once it has cleared up, you can stop application all together. From last summer to now, the problem has never recurred.
London's Curling
London's Curling

Back to top Go down

Post by willi77 21st August 2010, 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for the tips London's Curling! I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor this week and get a prescription for Dermovate. My symptoms are almost exactly like yours, except it is happening in the front along my hair line. Right now I'm rocking wide loose fitting head bands with my roller sets and braidouts.

I have used nizoral and noixin, but to no avail. What shampoo and moisturizer to you use? I'm trying to keep it natural as well with no SLS or alchol based products too. Do you oil your scalp at all? If so how often?

I was beginning to think I was the only one going through this. I really appreciate your help and it's good to hear that your hair is doing so well, it's very encouraging. Congrats!!! Very Happy

willi77

Back to top Go down

Post by London's Curling 22nd August 2010, 4:07 am

Hi willi77 - I use Jason's Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner as well as their JoJoba Conditioner. I also use Yes to Carrots on occasion. I don't grease my scalp anymore but if I find a particularly dry spot when styling I'll rub in whatever moisturiser I have to hand - right now that includes, Anita Grant Lemon Whip Pudding, Qhemets Amla & Olive Oil Heavy Cream and a Shea Butter mix that I whipped up some months ago. I also like Darcys Botanicals and at the moment her Pumpkin Seed Leave In Conditioner is regularly in my rotation. There's also a company called Laughing Bird here in the UK. They're based in Wales and they sell organic Shea based products. They only sell two hair products but believe me, they are fantastic! They last for ages are good value for money at £9.75 and £5.25 respectively (sorry don't know price in dollars Crying or Very sad ) - one is a Honey and Shea Butter Hair Food and other is Shea and Manketti Oil Scalp Moisturiser with Tea Tree Oil. The hair food is a brilliant sealant and can also act as a prepoo. The Scalp Moisturiser, if you do grease your scalp, has anti-fungal properties that stop itching and flaking and prevent dry scalp. I came across these when my scalp was going mad and didn't realise the cause, but have stuck with them cause they're both just brilliant. Lovely smell, melts in the hand, hair just absorbs it all up. Web address if your interested is:
http://www.laughingbird-bodycare.co.uk

Sorry for the ramble but hope some of it helps. Betacap Scalp Application is an alternative to Dermovate if perhaps you don't get that on prescription in Canada. Hope it goes well
flower flower
London's Curling
London's Curling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down