CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Year New Resolutions New ME

+15
NubieNatty
krazy coils
CrissyQ
queenshakirah
priceless
freckledmom4
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
KinkyNappyHappy
WhosThatRedHead
poeticlyspkng
MellowOne
nattyblog
sweetdrk1
cyclingchick
KeAnia
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New Year New Resolutions New ME Empty New Year New Resolutions New ME

Post by KeAnia 11th August 2010, 6:58 pm

Hi Guys

Just sharing a little about my self. I started this hair journey about 9 months ago. I have always been a little less pleased with my hair so to the fact that during my pregnancy I didn't want to have a little girl because I didn't want her to have to go through the same name calling and ridicule I did as a little girl. As GOD would have it HE Blessed me with a little beautiful bald head baby girl. Need less to say I was very excited but in the back of my mind I still had those concerns.

In my family hair was never a really big deal but I married into a family of generational hair stylist. My daughter's hair started to grow when she was about a year old and has not stopped since. She now has hair that is to her shoulder when it is straighten or pressed. She spent her first summer away this summer and because no one really wanted to comb a head of extra thick curly hair they pressed it. Needless to say I was not totally happy about it but I am thinking all I have to do it was it and it will bounce back.

Enough about her now it is my turn. Growning up my mom put a Jheri Curl in my hair and it has been many disasters since then. I have always had thinner hair that was a little wirey and very dull in color. I decided when I reached high school that it was only hair and what I couldn't grow I would buy if I wanted to so I cut it all off and did many colors. I would wear braids all summer long and keep it cut short during the school year. Due to having tinner hair I could always go about 10 weeks with out a perm and I always liked it. I decided about a year ago that I wanted to do something different with my hair so I wanted to see exctly how long it would be before I actually need a perm. Transitioning I wore kinky twist for about 3 months, then went on to a nice wig for about another two month or so and then I wore a sew in for maybe 4 months then went to Kinky twist again up until this June when I decided to CHOP.

I think I did it then because since my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in June of 08 and died in June of 09 I have always done something liberating in the month of June. So this June I decided to cut it all and start anew. I have to say that I have been accepted a little better by my husband's family then I thought. I have only been called nappy headed by one of his hair stylist aunts. I am really excited about my new look and it is really showing me alot about my daughter's hair and how I should treat it.

I am still learning my hair and I am not exactly sure of my type but I am trying to figure it out. I have see hair textures that look like mine and have been told they are 4a/4b so that is what I have been claiming until I actually know what I am. I have experimented with a few products but I really like using my Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie and my Eco Style gel with some extra Olive Oil. I am still working on a DC. I don't shampoo that often and I am trying to decide if it is a good or bad thing.

In closing I would like to say that it suprises me how many women of different ethnic back grounds have given me more compliments on my hair then african american women and men. I think that we as a people need to learn to love ourselves hair, skin color and all.

Last edited by KeAnia on 3rd January 2011, 2:40 pm; edited 7 times in total
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

New Year New Resolutions New ME Empty Re: New Year New Resolutions New ME

Post by cyclingchick 11th August 2010, 7:20 pm

Great story...welcome! Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 11th August 2010, 10:12 pm

Thanks cyclingchick.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th August 2010, 10:58 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 12th August 2010, 10:30 am

Hi & Welcome! I I love you your story!
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 12th August 2010, 11:05 am

Hi, welcome!
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 12th August 2010, 5:51 pm

Welcome to Curl Street. Here we love all the hair types, bring it on! Can't wait to hear more of your journey. and see some pics... hint. hint.

I wanted to comment on your closing because I think many have shared that experience. I think we ARE learning to love ourselves and our hair. One woman at a time. And hopefully the men come along eventually because they are not all on board. The point is-as a people we have tons of undoing when it comes to hatred for our hair. This is a hate that has been passed down thru many generations and lucky for us- some families have said no. So we must continue to pay it forward and set the example. The love will come. In fact, it's already in the air.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 12th August 2010, 6:10 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!
I'm a firm believer that in order to get acceptance from others we have to accept ourselves first. I think that we(black folk) sometimes have a (dare I say it... slave mentality) when it comes to our hair. It's similiar to the belief that if you are fairer skinned you are prettier. So if your hair is straight then your hair is "good" or pretty. And you will get plenty of love and support for you, your hair and your daughter's hair here on CN.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 13th August 2010, 6:32 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Welcome to Curl Street. Here we love all the hair types, bring it on! Can't wait to hear more of your journey. and see some pics... hint. hint.

I wanted to comment on your closing because I think many have shared that experience. I think we ARE learning to love ourselves and our hair. One woman at a time. And hopefully the men come along eventually because they are not all on board. The point is-as a people we have tons of undoing when it comes to hatred for our hair. This is a hate that has been passed down thru many generations and lucky for us- some families have said no. So we must continue to pay it forward and set the example. The love will come. In fact, it's already in the air.

Thanks for the comment and the understanding. I plan on uploading some pics soon I really have to take some more. I'm not much of the camera person. I also find it kind of difficult to upload pictures on here but I will post some in the up coming week.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 13th August 2010, 6:38 pm

WhosThatRedHead wrote:Welcome to Curl Street!
I'm a firm believer that in order to get acceptance from others we have to accept ourselves first. I think that we(black folk) sometimes have a (dare I say it... slave mentality) when it comes to our hair. It's similiar to the belief that if you are fairer skinned you are prettier. So if your hair is straight then your hair is "good" or pretty. And you will ge.t plenty of love and support for you, your hair and your daughter's hair re on CN.

Thanks for the love and support. If I would have known about these blogs I may have gone natural a few years ago. I turly understand what you are saying by speakig about acceptance. I currently live in nothern louisiana but grew up in New Orleans so I have seen and been a part of the "good" and "bad" hair hype as well as the "light" and "dark" skin hype. I will be so excited when more of us learn to accept ourselves and our men learn to accept us.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th August 2010, 2:56 am

Welcome to CS you are going to learn a lot here!!! Enjoy!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 14th August 2010, 1:48 pm

Ok guys I have finally purchased a hair journal. Today my daughter and I are going to start our castor oil challenge. This will be her first first wash since she's been home and since it was hot combed so I am anxious to see what we will get. I'm also got to co-wash mine and try some new style. I'll try to post some pictures for you guys.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 14th August 2010, 5:13 pm

k guys here are a couple pics of some flat twist I tried after I co-washed.
New Year New Resolutions New ME 102_0010

New Year New Resolutions New ME 102_0011

I'm not sure if I will be brave enough to wear this style to church in the AM.

Here are some Pics of Ania's twist.

New Year New Resolutions New ME 102_0017

New Year New Resolutions New ME 102_0018
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by SCRUG_A_LICIOUS 15th August 2010, 1:23 am

Congrats on your life change!! Im excited about your daughters hair!YOUR A good mom. I wish my mom new then what i know now. She's beautiful!!
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 15th August 2010, 1:55 am

SCRUG_A_LICIOUS wrote:Congrats on your life change!! Im excited about your daughters hair!YOUR A good mom. I wish my mom new then what i know now. She's beautiful!!

Thanks alot. I try to be a good mother even though sometimes it can be trying but I love her to death and won't trade her for anything. I am trying to educate my self and let her know that she and her hair are beautiful.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 18th August 2010, 8:33 pm

Hi Guys

I am thinking about doing a henna gloss on my hair this weekend. I have some old henna mix in the freezer from when I hennaed a couple weeks ago. I am looking for suggestions on what I can put in the henna to make it more of a moisturizer.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 22nd August 2010, 6:01 pm

Ok

So I did my big chop almost 2 months ago. I am seeing some growth and is really excited that I am not combing my hair and getting handfuls of it. My main problem now is that My staples are Ecostyle gel/olive oil, Olive oil/soybean oil(trying to decide if it is different from EVOO), castor oil, shea butter and Shea Moisture curl smoothie. I wash about everyother week and co-wash 1-2 times a week. I use suave naturals coconut, YTT and Giovanni 50/50.

The problem is the Eco style leaves my hair a little crunchy but I get good curls. I want to venture into some of the oils and powders but I hate ordering things and don't know how my hair will react to them and we don't have any Indian stores.

I am open to any suggestions.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd August 2010, 6:20 pm

Congrats! What are you putting under the Eco? Do you use a leave in?that may help with the crunchy part. Also are you heavy handed? You may need to use a little less, hope some of this helps
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 22nd August 2010, 7:24 pm

Hi Kenia,
Welocme to CSJ. I really enjoyed reading your story. I think we bc'ed around the same time.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 22nd August 2010, 8:06 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Congrats! What are you putting under the Eco? Do you use a leave in?that may help with the crunchy part. Also are you heavy handed? You may need to use a little less, hope some of this helps

I really don't use a leave in I haven't found one that I really like yet. I tried the cantu shea butter and it always turns my hair white no matter what I put on it or with it so I stopped that. I usually just leave in some of the suave naturals when I rinse. I don't think I'm heave handed but I also spray it with Olive oil when I put it in.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 22nd August 2010, 8:13 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:Hi Kenia,
Welocme to CSJ. I really enjoyed reading your story. I think we bc'ed around the same time.

Thanks Freckle

What have you been doing with your hair?
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd August 2010, 8:18 pm

keania wrote:
sweetdrk1 wrote:Congrats! What are you putting under the Eco? Do you use a leave in?that may help with the crunchy part. Also are you heavy handed? You may need to use a little less, hope some of this helps

I really don't use a leave in I haven't found one that I really like yet. I tried the cantu shea butter and it always turns my hair white no matter what I put on it or with it so I stopped that. I usually just leave in some of the suave naturals when I rinse. I don't think I'm heave handed but I also spray it with Olive oil when I put it in.

Knot today is a a good leave in as well as Giovanni Direct leave in. I had that same issue with Cantu, so I gave it away. Good luck I am sure you will find something that combats the crunchies.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 22nd August 2010, 10:13 pm

keania wrote:
freckledmom4 wrote:Hi Kenia,

Thanks Freckle

What have you been doing with your hair?

Mostly wngs with Giovanni Direct leave in and ecostyler. I spray ORS Nature shine or Sheamoisture Mist to help with the crunchies. It helps but doesn't totally stop them. I've tried a couple of braids in front and twists/twistouts in back (like my avi). How long did you transition?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 25th August 2010, 7:11 pm

Hi all and thanks for all the tips. I have been playing with my hair a good bit and I am loving it. I really haven't did any twist or any thing since this weekend because my daughter is home now and she has a head full. I ususally twist it up on Friday or Saturday and wear it out for the week.

New Year New Resolutions New ME Twist10

New Year New Resolutions New ME Twist110
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 28th August 2010, 12:03 am

What to do? I am thinking about putting a deep condition in my hair tonight. I went to target and purchased the shea moisture masque. I am thinking about trying that out tonight with an olive oil rinse. That had my hair really soft last week.

On another had my husband really work on my nerves yesterday talking about all my products. He had the nerve to tell me that I had to many products and I needed to take them off the bathroom counter. Now you all know I was upset well really aggrivated. Because we are not going to mention all the products he purchased when he started to dread his hair. Not to mention That I really don't have a lot of products; my PJism has not really set in due to my finances.

Any way tonight is usually my wash night but I have a house full of screaming little girls and I doubt if I actually get to wash my hair tonight. So I think I will put the Olive oil on my hair and put on a plastic cap for the night and wash in the morning. I also have to do Ania's hair tomorrow and that is the challenge.

On the other hand I went to the health food store in search of some Oils but I really didn't know which one to buy or what or how I would use it. So I just didn't purchase any. I did smell the tea tree oil and It gave me an instant headache so I don't know if I will be buying that one.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next