CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST

+19
LadyV69
DvaAuNaturel
Kicha
envizionj
BattleKat
DreamMerchant
BlakButterfli
Cnicoles6
Mangos&Bananas
luvmycurlies27
naturallyme13
goombagirl
QuietButterfly
PaganWifey
Spiralos
BekkaPoo
deeply_rooted_chick
Runtinkrun
MsLizziA
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST Empty Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST

Post by MsLizziA 28th July 2010, 2:42 pm

The image quickly made rounds in magazines and the blogosphere – Supermodel Naomi Campbell captured on film just as a gust of wind swept back her hair revealing a massive bald patch at her left temple.

Everyone wanted to know: what happened to Naomi Campbell's hair?
The consensus was traction alopecia, a condition that develops when fragile hair strands are stressed due to tension, which in Campbell's case appeared to be from hair extensions.

As Atlanta gears up for the mid-summer Bronner Brothers hair show, which takes place August 7-10, black hair is once again in the spotlight, highlighting a growing cadre of women, who in an effort to avoid a Naomi Campbell-type disaster, have increasingly turned to less stressful hair styles.

Such trends are altering the $165 million mass market black haircare industry, and not always for the better. The two largest black haircare companies, L'Oreal USA and Alberto Culver Company, which account for more than one-third of the market, have both experienced sales declines in recent years, according to a 2009 study from Mintel, an international market research firm.

And while relaxers have been at the heart of the black haircare industry, 2007 saw the beginning of a decline in sales of relaxer kits at mass market stores, which is projected to continue during the next four years.
But Jerry Dingle, vice president of professional sales and marketing at Atlanta-based Bronner Brothers, said relaxers -- at least on the salon level -- are still very much mainstay of the black haircare industry.

"I don't agree with the trend away from relaxers," he said.

Natural hair is more about a look than a rebellion against chemical products, he said, adding that the trend has attracted converts because it is more economical and requires less maintenance than chemically altered hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bronner Brothers offers some products geared toward natural hair such as its African Royale line, but most of the company's maintenance products can be used on a variety of hair types, he said. Dingle said they've adopted a wait-and-see approach when it comes to new product introductions, since this isn't the first time the hair pendulum has swung from natural looks to chemically straightened hair and back again.
When stylist Tracy Robertson came to Atlanta 13 years ago, almost everyone was chemically relaxing their hair. Today, TAG Salon, of which Robertson is part-owner, is among a number of local businesses offering natural products and services solely for natural hair.

"So many women in Atlanta have begun to embrace natural hair. Atlanta is the hub [for black haircare trends] being the hair city that it is," Robertson said.

In February 2009, Robertson and three stylists joined forces to open the salon on Pharr Road offering care and maintenance services for natural hair.

"When you say natural hair, people are thinking Afro and Angela Davis. They are not thinking about what we do," said Robertson, explaining the TAG process of styling hair straight without the help of chemicals.
Though chemical relaxers are still widely used, little objective data has been published on the effects. A recent study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, linked relaxers to hair damage. The study, conducted by Dr. Nonhlanhla P. Khumalo at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, found that cystine, an amino acid considered a measure for hair fragility, was reduced in relaxed hair of the study subjects. Add styling stress, and the scene is set for a Campbell-type disaster.

At TAG, Robertson said they seek to offer clients similar style results as relaxers minus the damage. It was a gamble in a city where most salons continue to offer some form of chemical straightening. The four owners struggled for a few months, working without pay, until the salon began attracting 60 percent new clients via word of mouth. They followed with a proprietary line of sulfate and methylparaben free shampoos and conditioners and are now preparing to open salon franchises in Washington, D.C. and Dallas.

Cindy Primm, owner of Sage Naturalceuticals in Castleberry Hill, has also seen a shift in the number of Atlantans wearing more natural and textured hair styles. Early this year, she decided to revamp her inventory to meet the growing demand. Primm, who only stocks natural products, hunted down haircare companies such as the locally produced Darcy's Botanicals and Texas-based AfroVeda.

The adjustment quickly paid off.

"It created traffic where there really was no traffic for people seeking me out," Primm said. "We get a mix of people who have natural hair and wear it straight, but for the most part at least 75 percent of our customers coming in looking for natural products actually wear their hair in its natural state."
She currently carries seven lines of natural products for kinky, curly or Afro-textured hair, none of which are manufactured by the major haircare companies.

"For the bigger companies out there, the trend of naturals and getting rid of chemicals is more of a recent thing," Primm said. "Because other people recognize that there is a hole in the market, the smaller companies started creating products to meet their own needs."

http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/black-haircare-pendulum-shifting-577387.html?cxntlid=daylf_tpcr
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST Empty Re: Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST

Post by Runtinkrun 28th July 2010, 3:29 pm

I looked up the bald spot, and all I could do was GASP silent
But on a bright night, i'm glad that people are letting go of the relaxer and going for their natural hair texture.
Runtinkrun
Runtinkrun

Back to top Go down

Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST Empty Re: Relaxers sales are on the decline Thanks to Naomi Campbell... LONG POST

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 28th July 2010, 3:57 pm

I think its more economic reasons than fear of hair falling out. After all this time is the time for many families to cut back on excess.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 28th July 2010, 4:19 pm

"Jerry Dingle"

Sorry but this just made me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. he sounds bitter (and with a name like that, I would be too). He's just mad that we're cutting into his sales, but that's just too bad Mr. Dingle.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiralos 28th July 2010, 5:24 pm

Remember, 'wearing natural hair is a rebellious trend that converts people to the religion of natural hair because they are cheap and don't want to maintain their hair properly.' Oookay, thank you, Jerry Dingle.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLizziA 28th July 2010, 5:44 pm

Spiralos wrote:Remember, 'wearing natural hair is a rebellious trend that converts people to the religion of natural hair because they are cheap and don't want to maintain their hair properly.' Oookay, thank you, Jerry Dingle.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 28th July 2010, 5:49 pm

I actually went natural for the bolded reason.

That and my man was getting deployed and I was sick of wasting precious time in the shop. But a LOT was economical. I'd just moved out of my mama's house and...yeah living costs money.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 28th July 2010, 10:26 pm

Well I can only speak for myself, but going natural for me had nothing to do with economics. I went natural because I was tired of getting my scalp burned and for the versatility. I did way less to my hair when I was a permie, the bun was my best friend. I do so much more to my hair now that I'm natural.

Mr. Dingle just sounds very bitter. We're just cutting into his pay check, lol
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 29th July 2010, 10:39 am

Mr. Dingle, lol, is speaking of relaxers and perms on the salon level. What he fails to realize, however, is that the vast majority of us don't go to a salon-we do it at home so of course we have a major impact on the market.

Where Mr. Dingle lost me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] was his statement about it being about a "look" and it being economical. First of all when I did the BC I was so self concious about what people would say that I wore a wig for two months. So what "look" is he referring to? Secondly when I was permed all I did was slap some grease in it and rock a ponytail half the time. As a natural I invest far more time and money in my hair. My PJism is a mutha! And as for his comment about being natural requiring LESS maintenance, please refer to my statment about the perm and the ponytail.

Mr. Dingle has clearly been inhaling too much sodium hydroxide.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme13 29th July 2010, 6:21 pm

Ditto QuietButterfly!!

I've done more with my natural hair than I've ever done when I was "lyed" to. It is more maintenance, but I wouldn't trade it for a perm any day. It was not because of economics, it was because of the sores, blisters, thinning, etc. that I shied away from perms. I wanted to embrace all that I was, and my natural hair decision branched from that!
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by luvmycurlies27 29th July 2010, 7:23 pm

it's a shame that more black people, women in particular are not open to gain the knowledge about the dangers if relaxers and weaving techniques that are damaging to our heads. We are doing nothing than aiding to "big business" at the cost of our hair. I just pray that we (natural women) continue to inspire and educate by our own journeys!
luvmycurlies27
luvmycurlies27

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 29th July 2010, 9:02 pm

Honestly, I know the economy is bad, but If I were to cut back, the LAST place i would sacrifice is my hair.Like seriously, we all women, and I doubt that many women would chop off ALL their hair in the name of saving 10 bucks on a box of perm that last several months.sigh. people say the darndest things...i just wonder sometimes!!! I mean be serious! Natural hair cost money to maintain as well. and while saving money on salons and what not might be a plus, a little "icing on the cake"..it is by no means the entire entree. everybody tries to make up a set reason for why people "go natural" but there is no set reason.it depends on the woman!
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 29th July 2010, 9:14 pm

MsLizziA wrote:

Natural hair is more about a look than a rebellion against chemical products, he said, adding that the trend has attracted converts because it is more economical and requires less maintenance than chemically altered hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh okay! no we get it. thank you for that mr. jerry dingle! we were all waiting for a MAN to tell us how to take care of a WOMANS head.Now if you could just explain to us how to give birth..........lol! smh!!
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 29th July 2010, 10:11 pm

Absolutely ridiculous. This is one of those people that even if you told him why YOU went natural, he would make up some reason why you were lying to yourself. I went natural because I was curious honestly. Wanted to see what my hair looked like and because that mess hurts! You can't scratch, can't swim, can't get rained on even a little, can't be in a lot of humidity, and for me I couldn't even moisturize properly because any product would make my straight hair look greasy. Rather than fighting it, they should get with the program. They are missing out on an amazing market that is more than willing to spend their money to find what works. I feel sorry for Naomi. Maybe we can convince her she too can be a curly!!
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 29th July 2010, 11:58 pm

Anyone who thinks going natural is about economics has never had a case of PJism!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 30th July 2010, 12:39 am

I still spend money on hair products but like...to get a relaxer and touch ups and get it styled....it's a LOT of money to STILL not like your hair KWIM?
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 30th July 2010, 12:50 am

Lol @ Dingle! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat 30th July 2010, 1:08 am

From a business prospective, the sit back and wait approach is a terrible view. Obviously it has already taken off. Sales are going to fall even more and then he is going to be replaced. The replacement will have to play catch up. What he should be doing is hiring researchers to stalk the natural hair sights and react accordingly. But he is making statements causing the company to loose customers.
BattleKat
BattleKat

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 30th July 2010, 12:49 pm

naturallyme13 wrote:Ditto QuietButterfly!!

I've done more with my natural hair than I've ever done when I was "lyed" to. It is more maintenance, but I wouldn't trade it for a perm any day. It was not because of economics, it was because of the sores, blisters, thinning, etc. that I shied away from perms. I wanted to embrace all that I was, and my natural hair decision branched from that!
^5 for sure on your point. I also find natural hair to be more maintenance so I don't know what that fool is talking about. I have to redo my 2 strand twists with my shea butter mix (BNB's shea butter, Nutiva unrefined coconut oil, Extra virgin olive oil, Black Jamaican castor oil, BNB's sweet almond oil, Amla and Brahmi powders) and my twist outs nightly to get the look I want. My hair soaks up oils and butters like a vacuum. I also wash and condition with my ayurvedic powders (Amla, Brahmi, Maka) weekly. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicha 30th July 2010, 12:59 pm

Delusional
Imbecile
Naw this one is too easy
Get outta my hair
Lost touch years ago
En et for da money

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My reason for going natural was because I was simply tired of relaxers, not knowing how to use flat irons, curling irons, or how to wrap my hair. Being natural makes me feel *free*

Last edited by Kicha on 30th July 2010, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot sumthin)
Kicha
Kicha

http://public.fotki.com/Kicha/

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 30th July 2010, 3:03 pm

Mangos&Bananas wrote:
MsLizziA wrote:

oh okay! no we get it. thank you for that mr. jerry dingle! we were all waiting for a MAN to tell us how to take care of a WOMANS head.Now if you could just explain to us how to give birth..........lol! smh!!

You are too much!
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 30th July 2010, 3:44 pm

Mangos&Bananas wrote:Honestly, I know the economy is bad, but If I were to cut back, the LAST place i would sacrifice is my hair.

ITA! Money was not even a consideration in my choice to go natural. It just kind of happened actually. It's just been a side benefit since I'm saving money on salon visits but also I've become a little PJ. That guy's perception is really distorted.

I think the tide is changing and that's a good thing. Women are seeing that it's more important to have HEALTHY hair, whether they go natural and wear it straight or rock it with all of their waves/curls/kinks.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 30th July 2010, 5:15 pm

Speaking for myself, I didn't go natural for economic reasons. I did it for health reasons. I got fed up after over two decades of burns, scabs and hair loss. I wanted to do it before a doctor told me I HAD to. Of course somebody who's a CEO of a company that makes relaxers isn't going to be happy to be seeing women going natural, as it cuts into his bottom line.

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo 31st July 2010, 6:51 pm

I've seen women in person with thinning edges like hers. She isn't the only one.

Indigo

Back to top Go down

Post by bbear 1st August 2010, 4:07 pm

My older sister worked in a hair salon that was famous for getting your hair boooone straight... I would come visit he after school sometimes and OMG the hair I saw there was probably what made me try to go natural the first time....
bbear
bbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next