CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends with Relaxers

+16
IF IT COMES nATURAL
msjakkia
Girlie06
R2D2
BotanyGrl
~JOME~
dajewel
kurlykaren
sweetdrk1
splitsun
jamaicacurl
HAMPTONSFNST
tiashaunteé
LadyMika
Veela
BrownSkinDiva
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friends with Relaxers Empty Friends with Relaxers

Post by BrownSkinDiva 20th January 2010, 9:55 am

Im sorry if this has been posted before but lately its really been on my heart, have you noticed friends making some really ignorant hair comments post BC? Like, some of my dearest friends who were "supportive" during my transition phase make some of the rudest comments about my hair now. Like one of my friends was talking about how badly she needed a perm and her hair was looking Nappy like mine, and she thought it was funny and she thought she was only making a joke. Why do some people think saying things like that is funny? Also, I had another friend that I sent my avatar pic too and she was saying how nappy my hair looked in the pic....Can anyone relate or am I just venting? LOL, help me out here curly family [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Friends with Relaxers Empty Re: Friends with Relaxers

Post by Veela 20th January 2010, 10:30 am

Yes, I can relate. I have a friend that kept saying during my transition and even now "So you mean you aren't ever going to get a perm again? Never?" This same friend has never really been encouraging. I say get some new friends, natural friends that are supportive.

I feel like this natural hair thing is a revolution and one day those same friends are going to be trying to go natural as well..years down the road when they see how much healthier, stronger, and longer our hair is compared to theirs.. afro

I had my hair flat ironed recently and whenever I would see a natural haired sister in public, I would be so jealous. I love natural hair and always have, even when I wore a relaxer religiously, Whenever I would see a natural haired lady I secretly wished I could do my hair that way.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 20th January 2010, 11:22 am

I can relate in that I've had "friends" with relaxed hair scream "WHY WHY WHY" post BC (literarlly like, the next day). But for the most part, most of my friends--who are all relaxed--love my hair. I must've lucked out. But I agree with Veela. If these friends of yours are being blatantly ignorant about your hair, find new ones. Why not hit up the Big/little sister board on here? I'm sure there's someone in your area you can meet up with. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 20th January 2010, 12:11 pm

I just started going to the big sis/lil sis board....thanks for the advice ladies Smile

Honestly, I think its because theyre ignorant. It kind of hurts my feelings when these comments are made, but I realize its because of how they dont know any better. Its sad when youve been programmed so long to think a relaxer is whats best and the norm for us as a people, but you speak ill of others with naturals.....Going natural surely does open your eyes to certain things...
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th January 2010, 12:51 pm

I still deal with this now....you have to set folks straight. It may seem mean by just because you want healthier hair doesn't mean that folks are given free passes to be rude and make hurtful comments. I noticed time and time again that those "friends" are the same ones that wish they had the guts to do what you did. I used to think this quote was dumb but now I get it: "Let your haters be your motivators!"
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 20th January 2010, 1:30 pm

Don't get discouraged by your friends' ignorance. As my mom told me, "Don't let anyone steal your joy." As tiashauntee suggested just set them straight and let them know although you're friends you will not tolerate their lack of consideration. They wouldn't like it if you teased them about trying to convince the world their hair is naturally straight when everyone knows it's not. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stay confident and if you need new friends we're all here for you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 20th January 2010, 1:32 pm

aww thanks my curly girlies Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 20th January 2010, 1:47 pm

I agree with everyone! I say set your "friends" straight and let them know that comments like that are hurtful. There's nothing wrong or negative about the way you've decided to wear your hair. Yes, they are clearly still brainwashed with the rest of the masses about what beauty is but if they can't show respect for you then I say get some supportive friends who do!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 20th January 2010, 4:54 pm

Explain to them that all their little sideline comments, although funny for them, are hurtful to you and, without their knowledge, displaying the deep ingrained thoughts women of African descent tend to have of their hair. This may be difficult for them to break away from but tell them why you've decided to go back to natural and how it has positively influenced your life/hair/self esteem/appearance/etc. Don't be afraid to get into the little rants and raves you have about your hair. We always have hair problems and you might want to vent to your friends.

If, after some time, the derogatory comments are still flowing...allow yourself some space to create a positive environment.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th January 2010, 5:15 pm

splitsun wrote:...displaying the deep ingrained thoughts women of African descent tend to have of their hair....

I believe that right will shut it down!!!
Preach girl!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th January 2010, 5:43 pm

can we get the definition of friend?? Because uhm anyone that has earned the title of friend wouldn't say those things to me.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by kurlykaren 20th January 2010, 5:53 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:can we get the definition of friend?? Because uhm anyone that has earned the title of friend wouldn't say those things to me.

I gotta cosign on this one... AMEN!
kurlykaren
kurlykaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 20th January 2010, 5:53 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:can we get the definition of friend?? Because uhm anyone that has earned the title of friend wouldn't say those things to me.

serious!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 20th January 2010, 5:58 pm

You hit the nail on the head.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 20th January 2010, 7:49 pm

Actually, I found that many of my relaxed friends actually like my hair while it's transitioning. However, I get the most flack from my mother and sister who are both hair stylists. Although, they support my decision to go natural, I don't think they expected me to go straight into braid-outs and twist-outs. My sister has been growing out her relaxer for two years, but I think it is permanently straight from all the hot combing and flat ironing so she actually think this is how her hair looks natural so my mom and my sister expects me to flat iron my hair too which I don't plan on doing anytime soon.
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by BotanyGrl 20th January 2010, 10:19 pm

All of my friends and family have been very supportive about me transitioning but I did have one exception to the rule. She made a one negative comment about my texture and I immediately checked her. I think you have to let people know right out the gate if they say something to offend you or they will keep doing it.
BotanyGrl
BotanyGrl

http://www.hairmilk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 20th January 2010, 10:22 pm

BotanyGrl wrote:All of my friends and family have been very supportive about me transitioning but I did have one exception to the rule. She made a one negative comment about my texture and I immediately checked her. I think you have to let people know right out the gate if they say something to offend you or they will keep doing it.

How long have you been transitioning? It's been 4 months for me.
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 20th January 2010, 11:38 pm

Just keep quiet and let your hair do the talking Smile
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Girlie06 21st January 2010, 12:37 am

I recently did the BC and all of my friend have relaxers but they are in MD and I am in NY. Thank goodness I had my cousin whose always been natural and now has locs to do my BC and just be so supportive. Even so, I feel like she does not really understand what I am going through with my new head. She feels like its so easy but its not. *rant

Anyways, I told my friends I cut off all my hair and it was mostly gasps. They have yet to see it but always beg me to twitpic Smile When I do, I expect a little weird reaction. I get the *side eye when I talk about cowashing and such..

Girlie06

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 21st January 2010, 1:18 am

Like they said, let the haters be your motivators. When their hair is thinned and falling out to the scalp, they will be asking you for hair tips. It's funny how deep I look at relaxed hair now. Most often times it looks so dry and damaged. It's only a matter of time before it's destroyed. I could care less about what others think. I know my hair will be fierce. My crown and glory is the ISH!!!
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 21st January 2010, 8:59 am

I didnt have many issues while I was transitioning, most people were supportive and thought it was cute that I was trying different things, but most of the comments came after my BC. I think theres something about actually cutting the relaxer off and being 100% natural that makes some very opinionated people feel they gotta say some ignorant stuff. I will let them know that their comments hurt, but I also feel like this is deeper than that...My mom has really wavy silky hair, and folks look at my moms hair thinking its "good hair" and wonder why my hair isnt like hers.....I just find this so superficial and odd to come mostly from black people, because sometimes we are our own worst critics and it sucks that I have to explain some of the most simple things. Just because my mom has wavy hair doesnt mean I will have hair like that....(im sorry yall I really needed to vent, i apperciate everyone for advice and for listening Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by IF IT COMES nATURAL 22nd January 2010, 1:49 am

I can't really think of any rude comments made by any of my female friends post bc, they all liked it it. My male friends on the other hand were a different story. They would say things like you look like a lesbian or you look like you just got out of jail! I also got into a text message fight lol! with a male friend who relaxes his hair (dont judge him, he's still my friend lol) and he was trying to tell me how relaxed hair is better than natural hair because you can go swimming and dont have to run from the rain? I'M like NO DUMMMY THATS NATURAL HAIR!! Mad

SO any wayzzzz I dont give a you know what these days because I love my hair and I feel that its looks better than any "wrap" or flat ironed hair out there ya dig afro !!!
IF IT COMES nATURAL
IF IT COMES nATURAL

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 22nd January 2010, 7:24 am

IF IT COMES nATURAL wrote:I can't really think of any rude comments made by any of my female friends post bc, they all liked it it. My male friends on the other hand were a different story. They would say things like you look like a lesbian or you look like you just got out of jail! I also got into a text message fight lol! with a male friend who relaxes his hair (dont judge him, he's still my friend lol) and he was trying to tell me how relaxed hair is better than natural hair because you can go swimming and dont have to run from the rain? I'M like NO DUMMMY THATS NATURAL HAIR!! Mad

SO any wayzzzz I dont give a you know what these days because I love my hair and I feel that its looks better than any "wrap" or flat ironed hair out there ya dig afro !!!

You should challenge your friend to a "Stand In The Rain" contest. First person who runs LOSES. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 22nd January 2010, 10:03 am

@Ladymika, Lol! Too funny!! lol!
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by IF IT COMES nATURAL 23rd January 2010, 12:40 am

OMG!!!! IM SOOOOO DOWN FOR THIS ONE!! lol!
IF IT COMES nATURAL
IF IT COMES nATURAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next