CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to prevent frizz

+9
fabulouslyfluffy
freckledmom4
Naturally Nu*
MomnWife
BajanPrincess82
laakea
curlybarbi48
pdarden
gigihaitiancurly
13 posters

Go down

How to prevent frizz Empty How to prevent frizz

Post by gigihaitiancurly 25th July 2010, 9:31 pm

Hi all
So today I wanna talk about frizz. No matter what I do they don't want to go away.
I've read a lot about how to reduce frizz and I've tried many techniques. I've let my hair air dry, drying with a towel, stop touching it (okay I confess I've not been good at doing that Razz) adding gel, unravelling with oil in hand. NOTHING works.
I love my twistouts and mini bantu knots outs but they always involve frizz. I've realized I get a lot of frizz when I separate but If i don't separate I'll be left with a bunch of wholes from the parts (with a comb or finger parts)and you all know that's not cute!

Can you guys please share what you do to keep the frizzes away.

Peace <3

gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

How to prevent frizz Empty Re: How to prevent frizz

Post by pdarden 25th July 2010, 9:39 pm

i never dry with a towel... i dry with a t-shirt... i rinse in cold water
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 25th July 2010, 9:47 pm

I agree with pdarden. I use a t-shirt to dry. I NEVER use a towel. I try to rinse with cold water, but I don't like the way it feels. I don't really know what I do to prevent frizz, I guess I just don't have it, other than in the top of my head. For that part, I just make sure I put extra product on it (before I twist), or if I'm wearing a puff.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 25th July 2010, 9:51 pm

I meant with a tshirt and did not proof read before I posted Razz sorry
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 25th July 2010, 9:57 pm

when you dry with the t-shirt, what's your process? i only wrap my hair in it to absorb some of the excess water... i don't rub with it.... i don't wrap it tightly..... i have a couple of old short sleeve, short t-shirts ... i put the neck of the t-shirt at the base of the neck... pull the bodice part up, and tie the sleeves but not tight...
also, satin covering or pillow case at night is a must.
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 26th July 2010, 12:34 am

In general I don't really dry my hair... I just get out of the shower put in my leave-in, put my pj's in go drink water do anything to let at least 10 minutes go by and then start braiding or twisting with the product I'll let it set with and then let it air dry overnight.

I've always had problems with tying my hair up to go to sleep. Since i've been a kid actually. I just don't like that! Even if i tie it with something i always end up taking it out and trowing it away in my sleep lool
when i had a perm i always slept with my hair out untied and now.. I just tie it when I braid or twist or make bantu knots which is probably every 2/3 days... in between i just sleep with my hair out.

I don't know where I can buy a satin pillow cas :-/ i've actually never seen that before pig Embarassed
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by laakea 27th July 2010, 1:31 pm

"I don't know where I can buy a satin pillow case..."

You can often find them at beauty supply stores; the one near me (Sally's) carries them. Also, I've found them in the housewares and bedding section of major department stores (e.g. Macy's) and at specialty housewares/bedding stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond. If you can't find them in any of those spots, try online at Amazon.com. I typed "satin pillowcase" into the Amazon.com search box just now and got about 16 pages of results! Good luck.

laakea

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 27th July 2010, 1:38 pm

You can find satin pillowcases at Ross for cheap! I got my king-sized satin sheet set from Ross for about $20. Its the same type of sheet set you would see in Macy's for double the price!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by MomnWife 27th July 2010, 1:48 pm

I even even seen satin pillow cases hanging in the bedding department at Kmart.
MomnWife
MomnWife

http://www.youravon.com/dsumner

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 27th July 2010, 11:23 pm

Embarassed I feel embarrassed. I really have never seen that before. I guess I'm not paying attention to things
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th July 2010, 7:10 am

Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 28th July 2010, 5:25 pm

@gigihaitiancurly- try setting your hair earlier in the evening and letting it get mostly dry before you go to bed. I have been doing this the last couple of twists/coils and they seem to have more definition and less frizz than when I go to bed with a wet head.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by fabulouslyfluffy 28th July 2010, 6:07 pm

New to the forum , but throwing in my 1.5 cents lol. Hello Ladies!

My biggest way to fight frizz is the least amount of manipulation possible. when i take my twist/braid sets down the first day i only separate the 2 pieces (2 strand twists) or 3 pieces (3 strand braids). yeah its not as full and fluffy but i kno im gonna get there over the course of the following 2/3 days.

To avoid the holes made by parts, try not to divide all the way down to the scalp. Finger parting is best, and make the parts haphazardly. Try not to have specific rows and section. If u can part without actually touching the scalp it kind of helps this problem. Also, when u take ur pieces apart just try to gently position them to hide sum of the spaces.

After the first day I progressively separate little by little each day. Yeah i dont hv full magnificent fluffy glory at day one, but i dont hv busted "what the world goin on with that fuzzball on top of your head" hot mess on day two either lol. I also do my sets on WET hair. I kno sum ladies do it on damp hair, but yeah that doesn't work for me. I try to finish a set by 6/7 p.m. so itll b fully dry by time i wake up at 6 a.m. If i finish later than that i'll sit under my hooded dryer 30 mins to an hr and let it continue to air dry overnight. No scarf no bonnet, jus satin on the pillow. Lol i made my satin pillowcase. I took an old scrap of satin and safety pinned it around top of my pillow. most times i use a scarf only need satin cover when i do my twist sets. hope it helps!

fabulouslyfluffy

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 4th August 2010, 3:50 pm

fabulously fluffy, that is hilarious! i actually thought about safety pinning a satin scarf on my pillow. i thought i was the only one, lol.

i also finger part when i do my coils, i just grab a coil (as it grows) and retwist. that helps with gaps when i pull the coils apart in the morning.

i also noticed that there is frizz on the ends of my coils, but my coils themselves are not frizzy. I cut off the frizzy part (about 1/8 of an inch?) on some of the coils and this helped. scab hair maybe?
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 4th August 2010, 5:00 pm

@deedubb- interesting that you mentioned frizzy ends. I have the same problem, but i think that mine is just from not cutting all of the relaxed hair off because some of the ends are just straight. well not bone straing cuz my hair was never fully straight, but it has the same kinks in it that my relaxed hair had when wet. i think i'll do a micro trim next time i twist my hair. right now im doing a WnG and these ends are killing me

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 4th August 2010, 5:08 pm

@ Kinda Curly Cassie, I am convinced that the ends are causing the frizz. ALL of my relaxer is out, but there is this area in the crown and on the sides that is full of frizz. I stretch the hair and see a perfectly formed coil, but with frizz on the end. When I did my coils last night, I did a micro trim, and it helped... However, I just BC'd a month ago, and I am trying to retain growth, so any kinda trim sucks.

Do you ever notice that some strands of hair are completely straight? I don't have heat damage (never touched these particular strands of hair with a flat iron), but there are some random strands of hair that are totally straight!
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 4th August 2010, 5:15 pm

@dee dubb- i dont have any hair that is straight, but some are so loosely curled that repeated dry twisting can straighten it. the interesting thing is, the middle section of my hair at the nape was coily then for some odd reason out of the blue it straightened!! no flat iron or heat to speak of. this went on for a few months, but now it coils back up again. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dont know what happened to it , but even though it coils again it straightens very easily. even if i twist that section on soaking wet hair.. i just dont understand it.

but the front of my hair is a very loose coil, almost a wave so this section really disrupts the flow of my WnGs but i alwaya pull the middle 2 inches back and leave the hair at the temples and edges out..

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 4th August 2010, 5:20 pm

KCC (sorry, I'm too lazy to type the whole thing), this multiple texture thing puzzles me, but it is what God gave us, LOL...

The front middle of my hair (in a horseshoe shape) is actually curly (and hard to coil when I do my finger coils), the rest is coily, I have some random straight pieces, and a patch with absolutely no curl definition. My Gidget is confused, LOL.

But good luck with the micro trim, I think it will work.
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th August 2010, 5:28 pm

Three things I can offer.

1 - Cleanse and condition with your hair in chunky twists, at least six.
Once your hair is detangled, put them back in the twists to rinse. Rinse in cold water. This helps the hairs find their curl partners, LOL. Frizz is caused when the curls separate.

2 - Apply products from tip to root. Start with a little and add more as needed so not to overdo it.

3 - Deep conditon at least once a week for optimal moisture.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 4th August 2010, 5:30 pm

ChrsLvsBks, separating the curls/coils causes frizz??? AHHHHHH, so that's why! I do coilouts (separate the finger coils). I guess that is what is causing it.
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 7th August 2010, 2:54 pm

I hate the limp, day 1 hair phase so I recently started adding my holding products at the end of day 1/ morning of day 2. My regimen (for now):

1. I spray my hair with a spray bottle (water, HEHH condish, olive oil, coconut oil, aloe vera juice, honey) until damp and do my bantu knots

2. In the morning I unravel and reveal my curls with coconut oil on my fingers

3. I rake my fingers through my curls to give big fluffy hair on day 1

4. End of day 1: I mix castor oil, honey and HEHH condish to make a paste and apply it to my hair to add hold and control the frizzies

^^ That's my secret to getting big, fluffy day one hair AND controlling the frizz for the days to come Smile
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down