CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you transition too long

+3
dyamonds10
naturalchic
komirra
7 posters

Go down

Can you transition too long Empty Can you transition too long

Post by komirra 22nd July 2010, 12:06 pm

is it possible to transition too long? ive been transitioning for 9 months and i plan to go a full year, but im worried about damage to my natural hair. im moisturizing it and everything but i wonder if the relaxed ends cud somehow damage the natural... is transitioning for 2 years possible or is tht just too long to wait?
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Can you transition too long Empty Re: Can you transition too long

Post by naturalchic 22nd July 2010, 3:30 pm

Hello and Welcome!!

I transitioned for a long time about a year, but i pressed my hair or kept in braids. However, when i wanted to see my natural hair it was heat damaged from flat ironing. So I had to grow those ends of again and then cut off to finally get to see my natural hair. You may not have this problem.....I guess it all depends on whether you want to continue to press you hair or not....hope this helps
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 22nd July 2010, 6:52 pm

My first transition was for 15 months. I didn't have any damage. As long as you are moisturizing, conditioning and oiling your hair you should be fine. Treat your hair like it is silk and it will reward you. Mind you, I blew dry and flat iron weekly during those 15months and my curls were fine. Here I am transitioning again with the same motto but with more natural products Smile HHG
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 22nd July 2010, 6:52 pm

oh and use heat protectant!!!!!!!!! It is a must!
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 22nd July 2010, 10:21 pm

Hey komirra,

I've been transitioning for a year (as of tomorrow!) and initially looked for information on how long to do it. Firstly, I've learned that sometimes transitioning and big chopping are considered to always work together, but they can be 2 different methods for achieving natural hair, too. So, you can 1) transition until you've got as much new natural growth as you want, then big chop all the old hair off, or 2) just big chop, or 3) just transition for as long as you want, trimming a little bit of old hair at a time until you don't have anymore left. I've found a variety of recommendations and experiences (one Curly Nikki person transitioned for something like 6 years!), but mainly that you should do 1) what makes you comfortable, and 2) whatever is keeping your new growth healthy.

So far I've been transitioning for a year, and I've had one trim. I used to texturize or tex-lax my hair, and I'm finding that my new growth is blending pretty well with my texturized hair. Given this, I'm sure I'll continue with a long-term transition since my preferred style is long hair - why go short if I don't have to? My texturized hair is in good health/shape, but if it starts to deteriorate or becomes noticeably distinct from my new growth or is causing stress to my new growth, then I will absolutely consider a big chop.

In short, it's up to you girl!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by komirra 22nd July 2010, 10:58 pm

Gado-Gado Gal wrote:Hey komirra,

I've been transitioning for a year (as of tomorrow!) and initially looked for information on how long to do it. Firstly, I've learned that sometimes transitioning and big chopping are considered to always work together, but they can be 2 different methods for achieving natural hair, too. So, you can 1) transition until you've got as much new natural growth as you want, then big chop all the old hair off, or 2) just big chop, or 3) just transition for as long as you want, trimming a little bit of old hair at a time until you don't have anymore left. I've found a variety of recommendations and experiences (one Curly Nikki person transitioned for something like 6 years!), but mainly that you should do 1) what makes you comfortable, and 2) whatever is keeping your new growth healthy.

So far I've been transitioning for a year, and I've had one trim. I used to texturize or tex-lax my hair, and I'm finding that my new growth is blending pretty well with my texturized hair. Given this, I'm sure I'll continue with a long-term transition since my preferred style is long hair - why go short if I don't have to? My texturized hair is in good health/shape, but if it starts to deteriorate or becomes noticeably distinct from my new growth or is causing stress to my new growth, then I will absolutely consider a big chop.

In short, it's up to you girl!

thts nice to know since i wann make it to atleast a year, but im getting pretty antsy. i really wanna be natural, but then i want a nice length so i can style it more than a wash n' go. im kinda caught b/n what i wanna do, what my mom wants me to do( not cut it at all, or go natural for tht matter), and my image as a senior in highschool. but i think a little fro wud be soooo like me and my personality LOL
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 23rd July 2010, 12:14 am

yes everyones experience is different, i had heat damage and you do not want to have that problem.Sad My hair did not break off it just stayed straighter than my actual hair texture. ..Its all about how you want to manage your hair, i was not one to big chop and have a tiny fro......so do you!!
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Bjanelle 31st July 2010, 6:28 pm

Thank you naturalchic for your comments...you don't know how much hearing your story encouraged me. I too have had my hair blown and flat ironed for a little more than a year in ignorance not knowing that I was damaging my natural curl pattern. Now my hair looks like I am only about 6-6 months into transitioning! I was heartbroken when I finally decided to wash my own hair only to see long straight strands throughout my hair. Well what can you do I will pick up my chin and take your advice. I am definitely going to grow my hair out (again) and cut it off . Wisdom is bliss!

Bjanelle
Bjanelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 1st August 2010, 1:59 am

I say transition for how long as you want. I've been transitioning for 13 months and will not BC until between the 18th and 24th month. As long as you take care of your hair it will be fine.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 1st August 2010, 6:36 am

I just saw this forum post and thought I'd put the link in this thread: 100% Natural After 20 Months Of Transitioning.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 1st August 2010, 12:37 pm

Bjanelle wrote:Thank you naturalchic for your comments...you don't know how much hearing your story encouraged me. I too have had my hair blown and flat ironed for a little more than a year in ignorance not knowing that I was damaging my natural curl pattern. Now my hair looks like I am only about 6-6 months into transitioning! I was heartbroken when I finally decided to wash my own hair only to see long straight strands throughout my hair. Well what can you do I will pick up my chin and take your advice. I am definitely going to grow my hair out (again) and cut it off . Wisdom is bliss!

@ Bjanelle, I'm glad could help someone, I was totally unaware that heat could alter my curl pattern. I was told that it just depends on your hair, everyone does not experience the heat damage and I used products I thought would help. My hair looked great, strong, shiny and healthy but when I washed it was straight, I was upset to say the least. I had to transition again, to get were I am today......its a process but you will have to decide what you end goal is?

After a year of transitioning again I have finally gotten rid of all my straight ends......good luck to you on your hair journey!
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 10th August 2010, 2:30 am

Here's a recent article from the main site from a 24-month transitioner: Have You Ever Felt Pressured to Big Chop?
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by mrskelley1 11th August 2010, 10:56 pm

Hello new here..My names Samantha.I have been transitiong for 7 years, never BC'D. Will post a pic later. I kept my hair conditioned, moisturized, and protected. My hair is completley natural. I would cut my ends frequently. I still do. I think it is up to that person! Glad I found this site!!!!!
mrskelley1
mrskelley1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down