CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proper hair care

+3
freckledmom4
DreamMerchant
newtothis1
7 posters

Go down

Proper hair care Empty Proper hair care

Post by newtothis1 15th July 2010, 12:07 pm

So i have 2 girls my oldest has some of the thickest hair that i dread doing and my youngest has hair like a cotton ball (thats the only way to describe it lol). i guess what i'm looking for is ways that other people care for their kids hair because i don't feel like i'm doing something right. my usual routine is to wash, condition and style and in between washes when i style i have to wet their hair or else its uncombable and i use jane carters nourish and shine to style it. the reason i feel like i'm doing something wrong is because my oldest daughters hair breaks off every year especially in the middle and my youngest daughters hair just won't grow. So what do you guys do to keep your kids hair healthy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
newtothis1
newtothis1

http://www.twitter.com/jennyfrmtheblk2

Back to top Go down

Proper hair care Empty Re: Proper hair care

Post by DreamMerchant 16th July 2010, 12:09 am

The verdict is still out on whether or not I like the Jane Carter's products. I feel like that nourish and shine is drying my hair off and causing it to break. When I don't use it my hair is soft and mouisturized. Maybe the same thing is happening with your girls. Is your oldest a back sleeper? Do you really need to shampoo everytime you wash? I shampoo my daughters hair every two weeks but I do give it a good cowash 2 times a week. What kind of styles are you doing? I know this sounds crazy but do they drink plenty of water and have a balanced diet? Little kids grow so fast that every little nutrient they have is going to help them grow. There might not be enough nutrients to spare to help with hair growth and healthy hair. That may be the root cause of the lack of seen growth in the little one and hair breaking off with the oldest one. I am not a doctor though! I hope that helps! Your daughters are beautiful!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis1 16th July 2010, 8:58 am

i thought that nourish and shine was a moisturizer but i think its better as a styling aid so i jus got a new one to try. i believe my oldest sleeps more on her side than her back. and i shampoo every 2 wks as well but i don't do anything in between. i keep my oldest hair twisted for the most part and the youngest just wears ponytails. my oldest is an EXTREMELY picky eater and eats nothing but crap the only nutrients she gets comes from her multivitamins which don't do much if you aren't eating properly. i feel horrible as a mother for allowing her to eat like that. i don't know what to do about it, i want to take her to a nutrinionist but because she doesn't have diabetes my insurance won't cover it.
newtothis1
newtothis1

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 16th July 2010, 2:19 pm

Keep giving her the vitamins. They are helping. My youngest would be totally happy on a diet of chips, cookies, chicken nuggets and ramen noodles. Of course I try to feed her more than that and occassionally she will eat, but I also give her 1/2 of a flintstone vitamin everyday and when she had her last appt., her bloodwork was good.

I also cowash my daughters hair a couple of times a week, but she has very fine curls. I understand that you may not have the time to cowash with 2 head of thick hair in the middle of the week. Do you moisturize in between styling? Maybe you could spray their hair with a water/oil mix and seal the twists with shea butter. Also you may want to look into getting stain pillow cases for them. My little one's hair keeps breaking off in the back b/c that's where she sleeps/ sits in her car seat.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis1 16th July 2010, 4:20 pm

i wish i could get her to eat something other than the things you listed but its a loosing game all i can do is hope its a phase and it passes but in the mean time i'm gonna continue to giver her vitamins. i do moisturize in between stylings and also spray a little oil on it so their hair and scalp don't dry out too bad. and when i twist her hair i use the nourish and shine. satin pillow cases is a good idea cus neither one of them can keep a scarf on. also i just watched a video on youtube about how to trim split ends so i think i'll be trying tomorrow.
newtothis1
newtothis1

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 17th July 2010, 12:33 am

Oh I hope I did not make you feel bad about the eating thing. That was not my intention! Kids can be picky eaters (as well as husbands). I sneak stuff in their dinners all of the time and my husband does not know and I will never tell him. Here are some links to some cool kid friendly meals. Some people do not like "hiding" veggies in their kids meals but I say whatever works! If Julian will not eat something, I ask her to take a small "no thank you" bite in hopes that she will develop a taste for it later. I do not have time to be in the kitchen for more than 30 minutes.

For example, I will blend a little pureed squash into the mac and cheese. I will put some grated carrot or carrot puree in the spaghetti sauce. Turmeric is a great spice with no flavor and I put that in everything becuase it is suppose to keep cancer away. I have put pureed raw spinich in brownie mix and they had no clue. The taste was not compromised. Julian thinks she is getting a great treat when I give her "icecream". I blend some sweet potato, mango, orange and carrot into a smooth mixture and freeze it. She has no idea that her treat is healthy. That mixture will taste like oranges.

Message me anytime you want some ideas. I hope I helped!

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/toddlerlunch.htm
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis1 19th July 2010, 9:25 am

Oh no you didn't make me feel bad. i've always been a picky eat myself but nowhere near as bad as her. i tried sneaking stuff in her food but it seems like i can't get nothing past this girl for example when i give her oodles of noodles she picks out the little parsley flakes if she finds them on a noodle [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i'm like are you serious u can barely see the thing let alone taste it. but i'm definitely gonna check out that site and hope they have some good ideas i can use. thx! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
newtothis1
newtothis1

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 19th July 2010, 1:40 pm

Idk if you have a juicer Newtothis1, but if you do, you can juice apples, carrots and spinach. It tastes like really sweet apple juice. I try to do this whenever I notice we haven't been getting our veggies in.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis1 19th July 2010, 2:04 pm

@ freckledmom4 no i don't have a juicer but i may need to invest in one.
newtothis1
newtothis1

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 19th July 2010, 2:19 pm

@ Newtothis...I noticed you stated.....my usual routine is to wash, condition and style and in between washes when i style i have to wet their hair or else its uncombable and i use jane carters nourish and shine to style it.

What products are you using to wash their hair. Are you using a sulfate free shampoo? Natural hair has to avoid sulfates. Sulfates dry out our hair.

Also for the conditioner. One that I cant live without is the say yes to cucumbers, carrots or tomatoes, The ingredients for this conditioner is the same as their leave in conditioner.

If it were me...I would wsh their hair with a sulfate free shampoo.
Use a conditioner like VO5, suave, herbal essence or aussie moist.
Then apply a leave in- Say Yes to_________
Apply an oil
Then Braid
Try this and let me know how it works. I told my friend to do this for her little girl and let me show you what her hair looks like

Here is her twist out!

Here are a list of ones that are good

Generic Brand of Whole Foods' 365
Conditioner and Shampoo price ranges from 3-5.
****Note Shampoo contains Disodium Cocoaphodipropionate- which will cause allergic reactions **nuts**
Aubrey Organics 9.49
Avalon Organics 9.49
Castile Soap
Giovanni Cosmetics
Hugo Naturals 12.99
Jason Naturals 9.99
Nature's Gate
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by newtothis1 19th July 2010, 3:04 pm

@NylaCoils i use Burts Bees shampoo and conditioner in both my daughters hair which is 97% natural and doesnt' have any sulfates but for some strange reason whenever i condition my oldest daughters hair she says that it itches and she goes thru this whole shivering and shaking her head thing so i told my sis about it who's also natural and she suggested using mayonaise and i also heard about the castile soap. i'm gonna try one of the two the nxt time i wash her hair and if i get the same reaction then i'll know its not the products lol
newtothis1
newtothis1

Back to top Go down

Post by kuumba60 16th August 2010, 2:17 pm

Hi!
not sure if you're still looking for suggestions but I just came upon your post Smile

Food:
gotta love the picky eaters. I'd say make sure that you continue to offer her a few healthier choices a couple times a day. Even if you know she'll say no. Don't make a big deal if she does. She might surprise you one day and say yes! Just a simple wanna try some of my spinach omelet? No? OK - more for me. End of story. The bigger of a deal that's made out of it - the more she'll resist. And, make sure you're setting a good example of healthy eating.
Also, buy a few jars of pureed carrot (yea the baby food), and mix it into some muffins. Apple sauce works well too - and you can reduce the amount of oil you add.

Hair- maybe try a mix of shea and coconut oil on the ends of her hair between wash days. Do you braid it up at night? If she resists braiding it (even into just two or four big braids) show her how cool and wavy it'll be in the morning Smile

Children - they keep you on your toes to say the least Wink

kuumba60
kuumba60

http://www.simpletruths.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jasikajohnson 25th August 2010, 6:27 am

Hair care,you use a natural product for a hair,like a henna,egg this a best for a hair,do massage with oil regular and before a wash your hair must do massage,use a coconut oil,almond oil for a hair and do deep conditioning this a best for a hair.

hair products

jasikajohnson

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 14th September 2010, 8:53 pm

Sometimes ponytail holders can cause the hair to break. I know I have to watch the elastics to make sure they don't contain any metal for my daughter. If the ponytails are too tight this can also lead to breakage. It sounds like you are doing just fine. The only thing I would add is a natural hair oil to the mix to seal in the moisture from the water and make sure the ponytails aren't too tight. I really happen to like the Jane Carter line. I use the leave in conditioner pretty often as a moisturizer/refresher on my hair and my daughter's. Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down