CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keratin treatment

+4
TiseeBabee
krys419
iKarley
eshums
8 posters

Go down

Keratin treatment Empty Keratin treatment

Post by eshums 9th July 2010, 2:21 pm

I hope i'm spelling keratin correctly (i've seen it spelled different ways, not sure if its all the same or what) Basically what it claims to be is a deep conditioning treatment with no chemicals. It claims to take the frizz out of your hair and keep your natural texture. It consists of a process of applying conditioner and sealing it in with a flat iron. Your hair is bone straight and can not be washed for 4 days (no bends or curling either). The 4th day your hair is washed and conditioned and styled as desired. (but no longer bone straight, just frizz free and easy to manage, so they claim)
My stylist said its great and that ill maintain my natural curl. But im skeptic because I read some reviews that had horror stories. Has anyone tried it? what are your thoughts?

Last edited by eshums on 9th July 2010, 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add something)
eshums
eshums

Back to top Go down

Keratin treatment Empty Re: Keratin treatment

Post by iKarley 9th July 2010, 3:40 pm

I havent tried it but I do no I am scared to but a flat iron to my head. I have a section of my hair that will not curl up due to flat ironing. I did flat iron it several times but the thought just scared me
iKarley
iKarley

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 9th July 2010, 7:47 pm

Hmm I have not tried it. I really wanted to but have decided aganst it. I feel liek you can get rid of the frizz yourself. Why would you pay a few hundred dollars just to get rid of frizz. There are naturall products that get rid of frizz.. You know what I mean?

Natural relaxer. Supposed to make curl looser and straighter
http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/transitioning-f7/a-natural-relaxer-t5025.htm

i also hear if you put whole milk on your head and leave it in an hour then rince it out in cool water the hair will be relaxed a bit

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by TiseeBabee 10th July 2010, 5:07 pm

Haven't tried it... But I heard horror stories and I've heard/read success stories....

Here's one from a blog that I read.

http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/2009/04/keratin-complex-smoothing-therapy-by.html
TiseeBabee
TiseeBabee

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 11th July 2010, 9:36 am

I got one, and answered questions about it in this thread: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/keratin-hair-treatments-t4974.htm

Let me know if you want more info. I'm getting it done again this week...

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 11th July 2010, 11:45 am

TiseeBabee wrote:Haven't tried it... But I heard horror stories and I've heard/read success stories....

Here's one from a blog that I read.

http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/2009/04/keratin-complex-smoothing-therapy-by.html
I was just going to refer her to mane and chic...
one of my coworkers just did it and so far she loves it. she got it done at an Ulta store that had a salon.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by eshums 12th July 2010, 4:12 pm

Thank you ladies! @krys315 i will try the natural methods you referenced. Its hard for me to find something to loosen my curl and make it frizz free without crunch [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . So I've been strongly considering keratin.
Thanks so much @moonchild I'll let you know if i have anymore questions [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
eshums
eshums

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 25th July 2010, 2:27 pm

I was wondering about keratin treatments too. My hair stylist suggested one called "Simply Smooth". This one has no formaldehyde and uses natural based keratin. I think I may give it a try in a few weeks.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by miamigurl123 29th September 2010, 2:28 pm

Hi guys! I'm new to the forums here (but not new to the site), but I figured I'll put in my two cents.

It's worth noting that the products are NOT chemical free, as some may claim. From my extensive research over the last few months, I've gathered that most use formaldehyde, or a cousin of formaldehyde to help bond the keratin to the hair shaft. Moreover, even the ones who claim to be "hyde" free may not be so, because the FDA is not as stringent with hair products as other products. Really, to be considered Formaldehyde Free, it must contain less than 2%. So even if the product is 1.5% formaldehyde, they don't have to list it, and can advertise to the contrary.
Also most say the difference in results with formaldehyde free is better for those wanting to retain the curl. Both products relax the curl a little bit due to the increase of keratin in the shaft, but one is more "potent" than the other. If you plan on wearing your hair straight more often than not, go for the formaldehyde. But if you're like me, and just want frizz free curls, go for the ones without.
Mind you, this is some of what I've gathered from research, including posts in forums from those who've had it done, news articles, product websites, etc. I plan to get it done myself in December.
miamigurl123
miamigurl123

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 29th September 2010, 2:40 pm

wow miamigurl! you did do alot of research. i tried the so called formaldehyde free version called "simply smooth". and your right. it works great it you want to keep your hair curly. it made my hair softer, easier to detangle and it loosen the curl just a tad bit. the best thing is it lasted for weeks. however, i recently did another big chop and cut off all the keratin treated hair. i will definitely try it again when my hair grows back.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 29th September 2010, 8:32 pm

reggiestr
I have a question. Why did you cut off the keratin treated hair? and why would you do it again?

eshums how did it work out for you?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 29th September 2010, 9:13 pm

hi krys315,

i cut my hair off just because i wanted really short hair again. my hair stylist and i barter alot. (i give her the hair products i don't like) so she did my treatment for only $35.

i would do it again because i have very kinky, fine hair. And it helps manage it some. it loosened my curl a little and my hair defined a little better. And for $35, who can beat that! it's a good alternative to a texturizer.

however, if i had to pay $300 like some people do, i wouldn't do it. if i had to find someone else to do my treatment, the most i would pay is $200 and that's pushing it. but it does last for about 3 or 4 months if you stay away from products with sodium in them.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 29th September 2010, 9:22 pm

Oh! haha I get you. Thanks for teh info. i thought you meant your hair got messed up so you hads to cut it off. haah

Do you know what brand she used?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 29th September 2010, 9:29 pm

she used Simply Smooth.

here's the link: http://www.americanculturehair.com/ss_temp/pages/ind_v1.html

if you decide to try the keratin treatment, keep us posted on the outcome.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down