CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shea butter

+5
CrissyQ
DvaAuNaturel
CurlsGalore
jenerett
C.
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

shea butter Empty shea butter

Post by C. 29th June 2010, 1:12 pm

hi [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ,

i live in maryland and i cant find shea butter anywhere that doesnt have the plant root dye that makes it look bright yellow. does anyone kno of a place where i can find shea butter that isnt online? i dont like giving out credit card info online/over the phone. also i would really like to try the shea from BnB but shipping is more than the shea itself (1/2 lb=$5, shipping= $6.95).

lastly, does anyone know why the bright yellow shea is bad? or is it that you prefer the unrefined/ undyed version because it is more natural? just wondering cuz i found some unrefined African shea butter in a local BSS, but it was yellow and looked like dough/ somewhat dried out play doh..

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/viewimage.forum?u=http%3A%2F%2Fk581.files.wordpress.com%2F2008%2F11%2Fshea20butter.jpg

above is the link to another shea butter post. i inlcuded it because it has a picture of the shea butter im talking about..

C.

Back to top Go down

shea butter Empty shea

Post by jenerett 29th June 2010, 1:19 pm

I use the yellow shea butter that you have in the picture and I love it. It's very moisturizing. If you can't find the other kind locally then just buy it online. I live in MD too and I haven't happen to see any other shea butter that isn't yellow. Good luck tho.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

shea butter Empty Re: shea butter

Post by CurlsGalore 29th June 2010, 1:24 pm

Hi KCC! Most BSSs sell the yellow raw shea butter. I really don't like the quality of the shea they sell. I know you mentioned you don't want to order online, but this company is very reputable and safe and she has the ivory colored shea butter. No shipping charges. She ships immediately after you order and it's the best shea I've used to date. An 8 oz container is $5.75 w/tax. It's called Shea Essentials. I've ordered from her 3x and she has great products.

www.sheaessentials.com

Or try Whole Foods or an health food store. I bought my first shea butter from Whole Foods and it was unrefined, 100% pure. It's the NOW brand. Hope this helps!

Last edited by CurlsGalore on 29th June 2010, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th June 2010, 1:24 pm

thanx, jenerett..

i was going to buy it when i was in the store, but then i saw that is was yellow. from what i've heard/read most naturals like to use the undyed, unrefined kind so i wasnt sure if i should get it or not. i also thought that something was wrong with it because it didnt look like what i thought it would..it looked kinda rough, but not dry..i thought it would be creamier

thanx for your response,
it was only +/- $5 so i may get some.

last question i promise :-D.. how long does this last? the kind i saw was only 4 oz..

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th June 2010, 1:28 pm

lol, we posted at the same time...

thanx curlsgalore..

i'll check the website out. i have the same question for you as for jenerett, how long does this last? i tried some shea stuff my aunt had, but it wasnt pure shea- it was a product with other stuff included, but it worked extremely well. i'm trying to figure out how often i should be repurchasing so i dont run out

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 29th June 2010, 1:28 pm

Where exactly do you live in MD? I'm in MD too and I've found Shea Butter at my local health food store. It does not look like the pic you have above.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th June 2010, 1:30 pm

@DvaAuNaturel, salisbury

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 29th June 2010, 1:31 pm

wow! okay, yeah when you said Marylad I was thinking Maryland is a pretty big state. Wanted to find out where before I started make recommendations. I'm in Upper Marlboro, so the places probably aren't close, lol.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 29th June 2010, 1:32 pm

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:lol, we posted at the same time...

thanx curlsgalore..

i'll check the website out. i have the same question for you as for jenerett, how long does this last? i tried some shea stuff my aunt had, but it wasnt pure shea- it was a product with other stuff included, but it worked extremely well. i'm trying to figure out how often i should be repurchasing so i dont run out

The shelf life is about one year. Your shea will last you for months and months. I just ordered a new batch of shea and made a shea butter mix. My last mix lasted over six months. The color of the shea really doesn't matter. Shea butter can come in either yellow or ivory. Here is an article about shea butter from her site. It's a great explanation of what pure shea butter is supposed to look like.
http://www.sheaessentials.com/pages/About-Shea-Butter.html
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 29th June 2010, 1:35 pm

After I run at of the yellow shea butter, I will have to check out Whole Foods and try to find the unrefined kind and see if I notice a difference. The yellow kind is the only one I've used so I don't have anything to compare it to.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 29th June 2010, 1:39 pm

DvaAuNaturel,

I'm in Clinton so the health food store you went to should be convenient for me. What is the name of it and what city is it in? Thanks.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th June 2010, 1:40 pm

curlsgalore,

just visited the website and i REALLY like it. i will most definitely be purchasing shea from them... now all i need are some shea recipes .:hint:.hint:.

can you use this on your face if you are acne prone?

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 29th June 2010, 1:44 pm

Great!!! I've had a really good experience with her products! I made my BF a batch and he raves about how great his skin feels after he shaves.

A recipe that I've made was inspired by Naptural85 on youtube. She makes an AMAZING shea butter mix that I just adore! It's so creamy, rich, and light! My hair is not greasy or too oily. It feels wonderful!

Check her out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MX9VREndQI
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 29th June 2010, 2:47 pm

Ok i am glad this was posted. when I first bought shea, it was ivory in color. I got it from an African store, yesterday I went to repurchase and I asked for unrefined because i wanted to try it on my daughters skin, and she gave me the yellow kind. It had on there 100%, so is there a diffrence in the white and yellow? can refined be white or yellow?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 30th June 2010, 1:07 am

CurlsGalore wrote:Hi KCC! Most BSSs sell the yellow raw shea butter. I really don't like the quality of the shea they sell. I know you mentioned you don't want to order online, but this company is very reputable and safe and she has the ivory colored shea butter. No shipping charges. She ships immediately after you order and it's the best shea I've used to date. An 8 oz container is $5.75 w/tax. It's called Shea Essentials. I've ordered from her 3x and she has great products.

www.sheaessentials.com

Or try Whole Foods or an health food store. I bought my first shea butter from Whole Foods and it was unrefined, 100% pure. It's the NOW brand. Hope this helps!

I ordered from Shea Essentials before, and I hated the shea butter they sent me. It was unrefined, so of course you might find a twig or two in the batch (which doesn't really bother me), but the shea butter they sent me had so many pieces of tiny twigs mixed up in the batch that they were impossible to remove completely, messed up my shea butter mixes, and I ended up having to throw a pound of shea away. When I emailed a complaint to them, they just gave me some bull about how I should expect some twig residue in unrefined shea butter, and they explained it to me as if I had no idea what unrefined shea butter actually was (when I made it clear in the email that I did know). Some residue is fine, yea, but I don't expect to get the whole tree along with the shea. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OP, as you can see, I definitely do not recommend Shea Essentials.

If you look around, many BSS sell shea butter nowadays, or you can Google a nearby African store/market, since they're hidden pretty much everywhere in MD. You're local health food store is also a good bet, and the Health Concern in Towson sells quality unrefined shea butter. There's also Nature & Herbs in Baltimore on Loch Raven Boulevard, if you feel like making the trek, but they also sell their products online. You could also buy shea butter at Whole Foods, but they usually sell really small containers that are incredibly overpriced for what you're getting (think like 4 oz sizes for over $10), so I wouldn't recommend them.

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 30th June 2010, 1:55 am

summerRuby,

was this your first and last time ordering from shea essentials or was this a repeated event? i havent ordered from them yet, but even after reading your post i will still order just for my own personal experience. $5.75 isnt too much money so if i dont like it i wont feel too bad.

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 30th June 2010, 9:29 am

I just ordered from there last night. I ordered the Ivory Shea. I'll be sure to come back and let you ladies know if I like it since this is my first time ordering from this site Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 30th June 2010, 10:46 am

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:summerRuby,

was this your first and last time ordering from shea essentials or was this a repeated event? i havent ordered from them yet, but even after reading your post i will still order just for my own personal experience. $5.75 isnt too much money so if i dont like it i wont feel too bad.

I've ordered from them about three times, and every time they've screwed my order up somehow. That was my last time ordering from them.

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 30th June 2010, 5:10 pm

@ Summerruby: I'm sorry to hear about ur experience, but my ivory shea butter didn't have any residue in it. I've ordered my 3rd batch and they've all been good quality. Not sure what happened to yours. But OP, I can speak only from my experience, but ultimately its up to you. No complaints here.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 2nd July 2010, 11:42 pm

Update: Just got my shipment of shea butter from Shea Essentials. I ordered a pound of unrefined butter. No residue, twigs, etc. It smells, feels, and looks like good quality shea. I'm pleased with it and this my 3rd time ordering from her. Hope this is helpful.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 5th July 2010, 9:47 am

thanx curls galore. how long did it take for you to recieve your order (from date ordered to delivery date)?

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 5th July 2010, 10:19 am

You're welcome. Ordered on 6/25 and it came in 6/30 by USPS.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 7th July 2010, 10:39 pm

Hey ladies... I received my Ivory Shea Butter this past Saturday. I have only come across one small twig which isn't a big deal to me. This is good stuff in my opinion. As soon as I got it I opened it to test it out by rubbing some on my hunnys leg. It literally melted like butter. He liked it so now I'll have to hide it lol Last night I made some whipped shea butter with it and its heavenly! Hopefully I won't come across many more twigs...if so they get an A+ in my book. I also got a free sample of their Caramel Shea Butter soap!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 8th July 2010, 11:46 pm

Have to chime in...received my order from Shea Essentials today and I'm also very pleased with the product. Also amazed that it made the trip to Texas without liquefying from the heat. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by UniQueLeeMade 25th July 2010, 5:37 am

This is the *absolute* best post I've seen so far bc everyone is giving sooooo much good #411!! I'm making my butter in the morn (after service of course)! lol...

I do, however, have a question... After making this "butter," would you still need to purchase a pomade or something to define your curls or does this butter supplement for that?

Please let me know at your earliest! Smile
UniQueLeeMade
UniQueLeeMade

https://www.youtube.com/user/UniQueLeeMade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next