CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it!

+3
WhosThatRedHead
DreamMerchant
Ebbz
7 posters

Go down

Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it! Empty Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it!

Post by Ebbz 15th July 2010, 8:14 pm

I just bought some unrefined pure shea butter. For the ladies that use shea butter, do you apply it to wet hair or dry hair?
Also, during what part of your regimen do you use the shea butter? I am a little confused as to whether it is a moisturizer or a sealant. I was thinking of using it at night or on days when I don't use gel....all help is appreciated!
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it! Empty Re: Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it!

Post by DreamMerchant 15th July 2010, 11:34 pm

I put it on dry/semi-dry hair because when my hair is wet, it just rejects it! The shea butter just stays on my hands. I use it for moisturizing when I redo my twists.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it! Empty Re: Shea Butter-I don't know how to use it!

Post by WhosThatRedHead 15th July 2010, 11:55 pm

I use shea butter at night on my dry hair. Actually it's a whipped shea butter made with shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, ylang ylang EO and lavender EO.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 16th July 2010, 1:06 am

Shea butter and I are BFFs. I use whipped shea butter with jojoba, coconut, castor, olive oil, veggie glycerine, vitamin E oils. I use it on damp hair to twist or braid. Shea butter is often used to seal in moisture. To retain moisture, go in this order: apply water based product (leave-in), apply oil (any of your choice), creme-based product (shea butter or styler). This is the Chicoro method of retaining moisture. I've tried it for the last few months, and my hair is much softer and have no dryness. Hope this helps!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 16th July 2010, 2:48 am

I never use on dry hair as a sealant after moisturizing as it hasn't worked that well for me (too heavy and greasy). What I've had a lot of success with is chopping a bit off my block, melting it down and adding it to my deep conditioner with a rinse afterwards. My hair absolutely loves it.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 16th July 2010, 11:02 am

I use it as a sealant. It's an emolliant, so it really doesn't moisturize. I use it on wet or damp hair. After co-washing, I'll apply a leave-in, then the shea butter and then a styler. I whip my raw shea butter in a food processor and add some essential oils (rosemary, lavender, etc) and a carrier oil (either olive or jojoba). I tried melting it in the microwave once and it was a disaster, Very Happy

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 16th July 2010, 11:32 am

I use it like LadyV69. I leave my conditioner in after a wash, then apply my shea butter/coconut oil mixture (whipped with hand mixer) and then add olive oil. On dry hair I put my shea butter/coconut oil mix and olive oil on in the mornings and at night.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 16th July 2010, 4:42 pm

Thank you ladies for your help. I will whip some of it with my oil and try using it after my leave in before I go to bed at night and go from there.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 7:01 pm

Let us know how it goes Ebbz!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down