CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swimming and Natural Hair

+2
dajewel
Ngina
6 posters

Go down

Swimming and Natural Hair Empty Swimming and Natural Hair

Post by Ngina 13th November 2009, 10:14 am

Hi Curlies,

I have a question! I'm finally about to start learning to swim and I need to know how to make sure my hair des not get damaged from the pool water!

Thanks

Ngina

Back to top Go down

Swimming and Natural Hair Empty Re: Swimming and Natural Hair

Post by dajewel 13th November 2009, 12:20 pm

wear ur hair in protective styles. also, saturated the hair with water before getting into the pool. this makes it harder for the chlorine to penetrate the hair. wash with a gentle shampoo (no sulfates) and dt.

you can check this blog: http://newlynatural.com/blog/, as the blogger trains for triathlons, and her is as healthy as ever!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLizziA 13th November 2009, 5:40 pm

I too was wondering about this b.c as soon as i get a car, i am going to get serious about learning to swim..
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 14th November 2009, 2:47 pm

Saturate with water and then add conditioner for an extra protective barrier. Rinse with plain water when you're done. I'm from Bermuda, where we all swim all the time, so you quickly learn how to keep your hair healthy. I had never even heard "black people don't swim" until I came to the US for college!
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 14th November 2009, 3:13 pm

I'm natural and an avid swimmer. Before swimming I moisten my hair w/water, then I apply a generous amt of castor oil to my strands. Then cover my hair w/ a swim cap and do my laps. The castor oil acts like a sealant. After I swim, I apply a generous amt of moisturizing condish to my hair and have it sit for about 30min/1hr. I then rinse. After I apply a leave in condition and place hair in twist/WnG ponytail. I haven't had any issues w/ dryness/breakage doing this....

HTHs...
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dstdva 6th January 2010, 11:02 am

Hello ladies!!! I've read all of your responses, but here's my issue!! I'm transitioning and currently wearing kinky twists (extensions) and my hair is mostly natural except for the ends. I have been swimming with a cap (just started a couple of days ago)....Any suggestions? I need to swim at least four days a week and really don't want to damage my hair!!!
dstdva
dstdva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down