CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! Henna Hair & Swimming

2 posters

Go down

HELP! Henna Hair & Swimming Empty HELP! Henna Hair & Swimming

Post by WarriorPrincess 4th December 2009, 8:21 pm

Hey Ladies:

Last week I received my order of Jamila (2008 body art quality crop on sale) and Mehandi Indigo. I haven't used it yet as I've been a bit nervous to find out what affect it will have on my 4a/b type hair. I started taking swimming lessons and want to continue but heard that if I use henna and swim it will turn my hair green and what not.

Does anyone know if this is true? Are they referring to poorer quality henna (at the retail level)? Are there any swimmers who use the Jamila brand?

I need your feedback right away as I'm ready to try it.

Thanks
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

HELP! Henna Hair & Swimming Empty Re: HELP! Henna Hair & Swimming

Post by lina40 22nd December 2009, 6:57 pm

this henna will not turn your hair green. this is body art quality henna. Unless you have box color or any other previous color in your hair you should be A-OK! if you are still worried, get some shed hair and do a hairball test with a tablespoon of your henna paste/.

The greenish cast is from BOX henna (i.e, Bigen or other Hennas) interacting with salon or box color, but Ive heard it happen with chlorine too (chlorine + box henna, which may not be ppd-free).

Also if you are swimming, you should probably invest in a good swim cap, wet & pre-saturate your hair with conditioner before putting on the cap, and then rinse it out after your swim. THis way your hair is protected from the chlorine and the moisture balance is not as skewed as going bare-headed. Apply a butter or hearty oil, like olive oil or shea butter to seal in the moisture after you co-wash.. and I would also do a reconstructor treatment every couple of weeks. Aphogee 2-min reconstructor is great.

Hope that helps -- sorry you had to wait so long for an answer.

Blessings!

Lina40
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down