CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond

+29
coilylove
laleepop14
MahoganyCurls
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
yoli
Hollis
Mom2KurlyT
back2basics
Pinkrage
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
Sweetypie
CurlyCutiesx3
simara0507
tiashaunteé
anaturalessence
NhappyJackie
jad928
oooop2
naturalfabulosity
mrsrenaissance
Lynnieluve
Notthecoolmom
labon10
nalena
BajanPrincess82
NikG20
Frizzcurls427
*CurlyNikki*
33 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond - Page 2 Empty Re: Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond

Post by mrsrenaissance 29th November 2009, 10:29 pm

thanks for the info! i've seen it at earthfare but it was like $16 for a small bottle. i will check home econonomist which we also have. and walmart. i can braid, but not cornrow that well. i can do twists too. my main issue is getting my dd to sit still! she has so much hair, & hates to get it combed. and she's not tender headed, just impatient.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond - Page 2 Empty Re: Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond

Post by Notthecoolmom 30th November 2009, 12:35 pm

NikG,

I tried your advice about doing satin in the crib, but I just tucked my scarf like a blanket where my daughter lays her head at night. That lasted a whole day and then we had to go to a wedding. I think it still looks cute, if not a little frizzy. She was really showing out for the fam which meant a lot of rolling and attempted flips.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I did 2 cornrows on the side connected to one cornrow on the back and then box braids in the middle. She looked like she had a little fauxhawk while I was doing it. I may let her wear that look for a more casual occasion (it was so cute). But I twisted the front so when we got there it could be untwisted for bangs.

I'm right proud of the results, sorry I couldn't get better pictures, but now that she's older every time I pull out the camera she takes off running and laughing.

Last edited by Notthecoolmom on 30th November 2009, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my picture wasn't added)
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by jad928 1st December 2009, 12:40 pm

Okay, I tried the box twists and I have some questions. How did you get them to not "puff" up when you let them go. Some of the twisted just poofed. I think I might do better with the box braids. The beader made things very easy.

My second question is the parting. I tried to do the checker board parting but some sections were way bigger than others. How do you do your parts for the box braids/twists?

Thanks
jad928
jad928

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalfabulosity 1st December 2009, 3:13 pm

NikG20 wrote:Hi naturalfabulosity!!

Thank you so much!!! First, I have to say, you are GORGEOUS!

I can understand why you got to that point. It is very unfortunate. I would imagine when you did it there was not a lot of information out there. Truth be told, there's still not a lot of information out there for our children. That's why I love websites like CurlyNikki, although it is geared towards adults, I learn a lot in regards to my daughters hair. I think it is great that you are transitioning your oldest daughters hair! Please keep me posted. I would love to hear her progress. I will have to check out the KC Knot Today sometime!

Hopefully there will be tons of information for our children in the future. A lot of info out there right now is very misleading.

Thanks again!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stop by anytime!

Awe thank-you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...For Sure, I will keep you posted... and may be bold enough to submit something to your site...when I am brave enough[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturalfabulosity
naturalfabulosity

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 8:38 pm

oooop2 wrote:Okay Nik....Once again thanks for inspiring me. I've decided to change up my daughters EVERYDAY twist and give her some new styles.

Here are my questions:

1. How do you get your parts to look so neat?

2. How frequently do you do DDs hair?

3. What do you do in order to preserve the style? Do you cover with a silk scarf/etc?

TIA Smile

Hey oooop!!! Smile

Your daughter is so pretty! I love how thick her twists are! Let me know if you ever want me to share some more pictures in hair share! (that goes for everyone!!!)

1. How do you get your parts to look so neat? I am actually parting challenged. If you don't believe me, I would be happy to show you a picture where my parts were WAY off! lol But since using the end of a metal rat tail comb my parts have really improved. I can't get straight parts with the end of a regular rat tail comb. lol

2. How frequently do you do DDs hair? Once or twice a week. It depends on the style. If she has small twists or braids/cornrows I usually leave those in for 1 week, if she has big twists I'll leave those in for 2-4 days.

3. What do you do in order to preserve the style? Do you cover with a silk scarf/etc? I don't do too much but she does sleep with a satin bonnet and sometimes her satin pillowcase. The satin bonnet I bought from Walmart definitley stays on all night, her old one always fell off. I spray her hair every 2-3 days with some water and giovanni direct leave-in conditioner.

Any other questions feel free to ask! Very Happy I love your girls hair!!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 8:39 pm

mrsrenaissance wrote:thanks for the info! i've seen it at earthfare but it was like $16 for a small bottle. i will check home econonomist which we also have. and walmart. i can braid, but not cornrow that well. i can do twists too. my main issue is getting my dd to sit still! she has so much hair, & hates to get it combed. and she's not tender headed, just impatient.

Wow, $16?? Let me know if you find it. Awww yeah. She will grow out of it. For now definitley try to make it fun! Distract her with silly songs and stuff like that. Smile
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 8:39 pm

Oh and also take breaks!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 8:41 pm

Notthecoolmom wrote:NikG,

I tried your advice about doing satin in the crib, but I just tucked my scarf like a blanket where my daughter lays her head at night. That lasted a whole day and then we had to go to a wedding. I think it still looks cute, if not a little frizzy. She was really showing out for the fam which meant a lot of rolling and attempted flips.

I did 2 cornrows on the side connected to one cornrow on the back and then box braids in the middle. She looked like she had a little fauxhawk while I was doing it. I may let her wear that look for a more casual occasion (it was so cute). But I twisted the front so when we got there it could be untwisted for bangs.

I'm right proud of the results, sorry I couldn't get better pictures, but now that she's older every time I pull out the camera she takes off running and laughing.

Oh that's a good idea!

lol @ her showing out for the family. That is too cute! & Omg, she is adorable!!! Look at her little outfit!!! Love her hair! Great job! The bangs are cuuute! Let me know if you want me to share the picture on hair share.
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 8:44 pm

jad928 wrote:Okay, I tried the box twists and I have some questions. How did you get them to not "puff" up when you let them go. Some of the twisted just poofed. I think I might do better with the box braids. The beader made things very easy.

My second question is the parting. I tried to do the checker board parting but some sections were way bigger than others. How do you do your parts for the box braids/twists?

Thanks

If you try twisting one piece of hair clockwise, and the other counterclockwise for the twists they shouldn't poof out. It depends on how big you make them though. Also three strand twists don't seem to poof either, but I know exactly what you mean. Try one of those options and let me know how it works out. If you put rubberbands at the base only wrap it a few times, sometimes the rubberband seems to make it poof out more, for us anyway. Yes I love the beader, lol! Smile

For parting I start from the back and I will make a line across in the back with the end of a metal rat tail comb, then I will section that off into squares, usually the bottom in the back requires three squares. From there I work my way up doing the same exact thing. The next section I work on seems to fall right below her ears, so part from below ear to ear, and so on. Does that make sense? I hope so.... Smile Let me know!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 8:45 pm

naturalfabulosity wrote:
NikG20 wrote:Hi naturalfabulosity!!

Thank you so much!!! First, I have to say, you are GORGEOUS!

I can understand why you got to that point. It is very unfortunate. I would imagine when you did it there was not a lot of information out there. Truth be told, there's still not a lot of information out there for our children. That's why I love websites like CurlyNikki, although it is geared towards adults, I learn a lot in regards to my daughters hair. I think it is great that you are transitioning your oldest daughters hair! Please keep me posted. I would love to hear her progress. I will have to check out the KC Knot Today sometime!

Hopefully there will be tons of information for our children in the future. A lot of info out there right now is very misleading.

Thanks again!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stop by anytime!

Awe thank-you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...For Sure, I will keep you posted... and may be bold enough to submit something to your site...when I am brave enough[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

lol bold enough, come on now!!! I'm sure your styles look great! Smile
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 1st December 2009, 11:33 pm

NikG20 wrote:
oooop2 wrote:Okay Nik....Once again thanks for inspiring me. I've decided to change up my daughters EVERYDAY twist and give her some new styles.

Here are my questions:

3. What do you do in order to preserve the style? Do you cover with a silk scarf/etc?

TIA Smile

Hey oooop!!! Smile

Your daughter is so pretty! I love how thick her twists are! Let me know if you ever want me to share some more pictures in hair share! (that goes for everyone!!!)

1. How do you get your parts to look so neat? I am actually parting challenged. If you don't believe me, I would be happy to show you a picture where my parts were WAY off! lol But since using the end of a metal rat tail comb my parts have really improved. I can't get straight parts with the end of a regular rat tail comb. lol

2. How frequently do you do DDs hair? Once or twice a week. It depends on the style. If she has small twists or braids/cornrows I usually leave those in for 1 week, if she has big twists I'll leave those in for 2-4 days.

3. What do you do in order to preserve the style? Do you cover with a silk scarf/etc? I don't do too much but she does sleep with a satin bonnet and sometimes her satin pillowcase. The satin bonnet I bought from Walmart definitley stays on all night, her old one always fell off. I spray her hair every 2-3 days with some water and giovanni direct leave-in conditioner.

Cool...Thanks for the response!! I'll take some pics this weekend and send them to you for your blog Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 2nd December 2009, 1:39 am

I will have to get some better pictures for the hair share. I'm going to try to wrestle her down sometime this week to take Christmas pictures so maybe those will be good enough to share.

And as cute as she was in that outfit...she also was running around the hotel room on adventures getting into everything. We had to hide the Bible, the paper and pen, cover up the safe and find the knobs she snatched off the heater. But that's my baby and I love her....motherhood Laughing
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 2nd December 2009, 2:55 pm

I found the other pictures of her braids, not as neat as yours but I'm practicing.

Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 3rd December 2009, 5:42 pm

Hey NIk, It's Jackie from BBC!!!!!!! I am currently transitioning my 4 y/o, whom I, out of impatience and little natural support, permed her hair in August. In July of last year we (my family) gave her a texturizer. When I decided to go natural, I realized my mistakes with her hair. Right now I am keeping her hair braided with beads in different styles. She has about 1-2inches of new growth, but she stands 3feet tall and her hair stops in the middle of her back. So I'm guessing we have a long transition path ahead of us.
I've been washing whith shampoo biweekly with Motions and cowashing as needed depending on the hairstyle. Oh, and her hair type is 4a/b I think. To cowash I've been using Garnier Fructise Moisture Works, but I don't really like it to much. I also oil her scalp with olive oil.
Do you have any recommendations for hair products? I've read on this thread about shea butter and coconut oil, but what does it do for the hair. Will it be beneficial her permed hair? I cut my hair b/c everything dried out the natural hair. I want to be able to care for her 2 textures and have her looking good at the same time. She is taking photos this weekend and I'll shoot you a pic of her braids and beads, she loves to wear her beads.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 3rd December 2009, 11:09 pm

oooop2 wrote:
NikG20 wrote:

Here are my questions:

TIA Smile

Hey oooop!!! Smile

Cool...Thanks for the response!! I'll take some pics this weekend and send them to you for your blog Smile

Yay! Can't wait to see them! Very Happy
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 3rd December 2009, 11:11 pm

Notthecoolmom wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I found the other pictures of her braids, not as neat as yours but I'm practicing.

lmao @ her snatching the knobs off. Certainly not this cutie!!! LOL! She is so adorable! You did a great job. You will be a pro before you know it! When I first started my braiding were flipping and flopping. (you know when they turn over, lol) Keep me updated!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 3rd December 2009, 11:17 pm

JackieJ205 wrote:Hey NIk, It's Jackie from BBC!!!!!!! I am currently transitioning my 4 y/o, whom I, out of impatience and little natural support, permed her hair in August. In July of last year we (my family) gave her a texturizer. When I decided to go natural, I realized my mistakes with her hair. Right now I am keeping her hair braided with beads in different styles. She has about 1-2inches of new growth, but she stands 3feet tall and her hair stops in the middle of her back. So I'm guessing we have a long transition path ahead of us.
I've been washing whith shampoo biweekly with Motions and cowashing as needed depending on the hairstyle. Oh, and her hair type is 4a/b I think. To cowash I've been using Garnier Fructise Moisture Works, but I don't really like it to much. I also oil her scalp with olive oil.
Do you have any recommendations for hair products? I've read on this thread about shea butter and coconut oil, but what does it do for the hair. Will it be beneficial her permed hair? I cut my hair b/c everything dried out the natural hair. I want to be able to care for her 2 textures and have her looking good at the same time. She is taking photos this weekend and I'll shoot you a pic of her braids and beads, she loves to wear her beads.

Hey Jackie!!! Very Happy Glad you made your way over here. I am loving your BC!!!! I love you

1-2inches of new growth? Nice! I am so glad you are transitioning her. And look at you, being a great hair role model! Kudos mama Jackie!!

I think shea butter and coconut oil would benefit her hair. It is very moisturizing!!

Now for hair products. I'll tell you some of my drug store favs. Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, love it!!! Great slip & moisturizing. Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo & Conditioner, this stuff smells sooooooo good! Once again, great slip & moisturizing. Actually all of these that I am mentioning are, lol. Aussie Moist Shampoo & Conditioner. I also LOVE Giovanni Direct Leave-in, you should be able to find it at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for $5. It moisturizes her hair very well. Makes it really easy to detangle...

Maybe you can start from there. I know some natural hair products can be really expensive and many times you can find something just as good for way cheaper. I will be having many reviews coming up on my blog. I reviewed the devacurl line and like it but it is a little pricey, they do sell travel sizes though so you can kind of try it.

Wooooo!!!! I can't wait to see the pictures!!

Please feel free to ask any other questions....
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by anaturalessence 4th December 2009, 3:54 pm

OMG NikG20, i just checked out your blogspot and I'm in love with all the beautiful styles you have done!!! My daughter is 2 years old and her hair type is 3C in the top and 4A in the back. I've had problems keeping her moisturized but will definitly try the coconut oil and shea butter mix. I am newly natural but my hair is microbraided so the products I try on her will actually benefit me as well :-).
anaturalessence
anaturalessence

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 4th December 2009, 4:04 pm

@NikG20......Thanks for the info. I actually bought some coconut oil last night. I'm pretty sure I'll be asking more questions later
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 4th December 2009, 5:21 pm

Nik...What do you do to keep your daughter engaged and not complaining while you are doing her hair? I want to do one of your styles this weekend, but I know my daughter won't be able to sit still very long...
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 4th December 2009, 5:26 pm

So I get up this morning and my husband tells me he has some pictures for me...
last night my little one and I had a wrestling match to get her braids out so her hair could be washed (she just didn't want to sit still and could not be destracted in anyway...
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th December 2009, 10:41 pm

oooop2 wrote:Nik...What do you do to keep your daughter engaged and not complaining while you are doing her hair? I want to do one of your styles this weekend, but I know my daughter won't be able to sit still very long...

To keep her distracted I put on her favorite movie/cartoon. I might give her snacks, a toy, a book, some paper and crayons, etc. If the style is going to take a while, we take breaks. Sometimes I let her go take a nap if she's sleepy and I finish the rest later/ the next day. I definitely have to act interested in whatever she is doing or watching. If High School Musical is on you better believe I am singing a long. I often have those songs stuck in my head, lol. But it takes her mind off of everything and turns it in to bonding time. Know what I mean? So yeah....basically I'm telling you to act a fool with her! LOL Very Happy Have fun! Hope she lets you do it because I'd love to see!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th December 2009, 10:43 pm

Notthecoolmom wrote:So I get up this morning and my husband tells me he has some pictures for me...
last night my little one and I had a wrestling match to get her braids out so her hair could be washed (she just didn't want to sit still and could not be destracted in anyway...

OMG!!!! I literally laughed out loud. That is WAYYYYYY too cute! She looks like she was ready to drop someone! lol Thanks for sharing! Always the cute ones that you least suspect to be "bad" lol....
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 5th December 2009, 8:44 pm

We went to the Curly Nikki meetup today and I did a fro-hawk for my little bundle...I think it was cute.

Last edited by Notthecoolmom on 5th December 2009, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th December 2009, 8:45 pm

Notthecoolmom wrote:We went to the Curly Nikki meetup today and I did a fro-hawk for my little bundle...I think it was cute.

And she was so adorable!!! It was so cute on her.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum