CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond

+29
coilylove
laleepop14
MahoganyCurls
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
yoli
Hollis
Mom2KurlyT
back2basics
Pinkrage
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
Sweetypie
CurlyCutiesx3
simara0507
tiashaunteƩ
anaturalessence
NhappyJackie
jad928
oooop2
naturalfabulosity
mrsrenaissance
Lynnieluve
Notthecoolmom
labon10
nalena
BajanPrincess82
NikG20
Frizzcurls427
*CurlyNikki*
33 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond Empty Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th November 2009, 9:19 pm

Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond is dishing on ways to keep baby girl's natural hair healthy and beautiful, without pulling yours out!

Ask your questions here!

Last edited by *CurlyNikki* on 13th November 2009, 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond Empty Re: Ask Nik G of BeadsBraidsBeyond

Post by Frizzcurls427 12th November 2009, 10:12 pm

Hi Nik G! It's Frizzcurls427 here!! lol...By the way, your daughter and her hair are adorable. My daughter is 3 and she has a 3c/4a mix and the nape area is mostly 4a. It isn't unmanageable but it tends to be very dry and uneven. The nape area was much much shorter than the rest of her hair when she was a baby due to her rubbing it out when she was sleeping...So that is the reasoning behind the unevenness but it has grown tremendously...My main problem is the dryness...What do you use for your daughter's hair to combat dryness? And I will be back sometime to ask you about some of those beautiful styles I saw on your website! Beautiful and very unique! I loved the pics!

Frizzcurls427

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 12th November 2009, 10:27 pm

Hey Frizzcurls427!!!

Thank you sooo much!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Giovanni Direct Leave-in really moisturizes my daughter's hair!! I remember the first day I tried it on her hair I got on a forum and raved about it! lol THE best $5 I had spent in my life. (Marshall's) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have a long 'to try' list but for now the direct leave-in gets the job DONE!!

When I twist or braid her hair I use shea butter mixed with coconut oil and her hair stays so soft & moisturized!!

Have you tried any of these products on your daughter?

Feel free to ask away!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzcurls427 12th November 2009, 10:46 pm

Thanks for the info!!! I used to used Giovanni Direct leave in when I bc'd...I'm going to go get some asap!!! lol I'll try the shea butter and coconut oil as well...Don't know why I haven't tried it on her yet as I use both for myself...For some reason I was weary about using the shea butter on her hair as I thought it would be too heavy even if I used a small amount but I will try it this weekend when I wash her hair and I just might do one of your styles on my daughter's hair as well :)Thanks again! And you will see me pop up in here again! lol

Frizzcurls427

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 14th November 2009, 12:43 am

Thanks so much. Let me know what you think! & If you try any styles I would love to see them. Smile
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzcurls427 14th November 2009, 1:30 am

Will do NikG! I just hope they come out as pretty and neat as your pics!!! Smile

Frizzcurls427

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 16th November 2009, 9:44 am

Your daughter's hair is so fly! I went to your blog and saw all of the styles...so creative! I don't have kids yet, but you have inspired me to learn how to cornrow (practicing on myself now) for when I have some babies.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzcurls427 16th November 2009, 3:42 pm

Hi again NikG! I am having trouble figuring out how to get those beads on the ends of my daughters hair :/ I truly can't figure it out! Please tell me it's easy because I want so badly to be able to style her hair with beads Smile Do you have instructions any where on your site or can you provide step by step instructions? Thanks!

Frizzcurls427

Back to top Go down

Post by nalena 17th November 2009, 5:31 am

Nik, I just checked out your site because I wanted to find a good hair blog for my cousins, in the hopes that they would be inspired to keep a good distance between chemicals and their daughters' hair and I am so impressed! Your styles are fabulous, promote health and they are incredibly creative. I think I may try to copy some for myself once my hair gets a bit longer!

nalena

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 17th November 2009, 1:03 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:Your daughter's hair is so fly! I went to your blog and saw all of the styles...so creative! I don't have kids yet, but you have inspired me to learn how to cornrow (practicing on myself now) for when I have some babies.

Thank you so much!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] How is the cornrowing coming along??
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 17th November 2009, 1:08 pm

Frizzcurls427 wrote:Hi again NikG! I am having trouble figuring out how to get those beads on the ends of my daughters hair :/ I truly can't figure it out! Please tell me it's easy because I want so badly to be able to style her hair with beads [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Do you have instructions any where on your site or can you provide step by step instructions? Thanks!

Hey!!

Did the pack of beads come with a beader? That's what I used to put them on A's hair. You slide the beads on the beader, then put the hair through the little loop, and push the beads up. If you don't have a beader, it takes more time. When I didn't have one i would twist the ends, then fold the end over, and put the end of the hair through the bead, and push it up. Doing it one by one. I hope that makes sense.

Check this video out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYyClfLeHg

Hope that helps!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 17th November 2009, 1:10 pm

nalena wrote:Nik, I just checked out your site because I wanted to find a good hair blog for my cousins, in the hopes that they would be inspired to keep a good distance between chemicals and their daughters' hair and I am so impressed! Your styles are fabulous, promote health and they are incredibly creative. I think I may try to copy some for myself once my hair gets a bit longer!

Awww, thank you so much!!! I hope this helps your cousins! And I of course want to see pictures if you ever try any styles! haha, I love pics! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 19th November 2009, 10:12 am

Hi Nik

I love the hair styles, and your babies are too cute. There are a few styles that will be altered for my 11 year old. You know she's too old for baby styles, according to her.

I have referred my cousin to your blog. She needs help.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 20th November 2009, 12:54 am

Hello labon10!

Awww thank you so much! lol Don't you just love kids? I can see my daughter now at 11 years old, lol! Thanks for spreading the word! I would love to see pics if you ever try some styles! Smile
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 20th November 2009, 10:53 am

Sure thing.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 24th November 2009, 3:33 pm

Nik G,
I love the styles you created for your little girl. I have a 15 month old and my major issue is keeping her off her head (she thinks she can flip now). I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Coconut oil when I style it once a week, but I don't know what to use on a day to day basis. Her hair gets really dry in the back and she won't sleep with a satin bonnet at night. Any suggestions.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 24th November 2009, 8:30 pm

Hi Notthecoolmom,

What a cutie! Love your avatar.

Thank you!!

Giovanni Direct Leave-in is fine to use on a daily basis.

Try every other day and see how that works for her hair. That's usually what I do for A's hair. Apply Giovanni direct leave-in or shea butter mixed with coconut oil every other day. Definitley moisturize the back more since I'm guessing she sleeps on her back, and rubs her head on her carseat and things like that.

I'm not sure if she sleeps with a pillow, if so, get a satin pillowcase for her! They sell them at curls.biz for $7. If she's in a crib, try to find a satin crib sheet, they should have them on ebay for cheap.

Hope that helps! Let me know....
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 25th November 2009, 8:40 pm

NikG,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is a picture of my niece. My sister in law is looking for a product to keep her hair moisturized and the secret to 2nd and 3rd day hair. My niece's hair is so soft. If her mom does not put barrettes on the end of hair, her twist will not stay. As you can see if is super curly. She has tried Just for Me conditioner and Carol's Daughter hair milk. They were a no go so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 27th November 2009, 3:03 pm

Hi Lynnieluve!

Your niece is gorgeous! What a doll!!!

For moisture, I always recommend Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Shea butter mixed with some coconut oil. That really keeps my daughter hair moisturized.

The only time my daughter got 3 day hair is when I used Curl Gel-les'C. Her curls were still looking so great even after she slept on them night after night! I was surprised. I don't know why I haven't purchased yet. Maybe the price tag? lol I think I'll have to give in.

She can get 2 day hair when I leave the conditioner in. Usually it's herbal essence hello hydration. I just put it in and comb through. (tightlycurly.com)

I will be having more reviews on my blog so you can check those out. If anything stands out to me and I think it will work on your nieces hair I will most definitley let you know.

Hope that helps!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 27th November 2009, 3:46 pm

Thanks NikG!!! I just gave my sister in law my beloved Giovanni Direct leave in and my shea butter mix which includes coconut oil on yesterday. I am glad I am on the right track. I will tell her to check out your blog.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 29th November 2009, 12:57 am

i have a 2yo & her hair is sooo dry. i'll get some giovanni direct leave in to try. thanks for the satin crib sheet suggestion. she barely sits still for me to comb her hair & definitely won't keep a scarf on.

where's the best place to get coconut oil? i already have some shea butter but haven't used it thinking it would be too heavy. probably not because i've tried SO many products that don't work.

now i get her hair braided every few wks, but would like to be able to do more with it on my own.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 29th November 2009, 1:08 am

@LynnieLuve, such a good auntie!! Keep me posted. Smile

@mrsrenaissance, do you have a whole foods? or health food store, or even viatmin shoppe? You should be able to find unrefined coconut oil at all three places. I know you can get refined from Krogers for around $7, but I have read unrefined is best. Someone told me they found some unrefined coconut oil at Walmart, so you can check them out too. When I mix the shea butter with the coconut oil it's not heavy at all and very moisturizing. I was pleasantly surprised because when I tried shea butter alone it didn't work for A's hair.

Do you know how to cornrow and twist and things like that?

I will be making a youtube channel in the near future and start making how to videos. I need to figure out how to edit videos, lol.
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalfabulosity 29th November 2009, 8:20 pm

NikG! You are awesome! I wish I would of discovered you and your sight years ago!!! I have a 8 year old daughter and 2 year old daughter. my 8 year old has very thick tightly coiled hair probably 4a/4b and at an early age I gave into a relaxer out of pure frustration of not knowing how to properly care for her beautiful thick hair. My youngest has 3a hair and very managable complete night and day. Since doing research online from youtube and curly nikki and sites like yours I have began to transition my oldest daughters hair....I have vowed to never perm her hair while she is under my roof :-) the giovanni direct leavin is amazing and I also use KC Knot today and it works wonders. I am also a HUGE fan of the shea butter and coconut oil. I wish I knew what I know today about patroleum and mineral oils on hair. I just wanted personally thank you! You have given me inspiration to find a healthier way to manage my girls hair in a fashionably cute way!! U Rock Girlfirend Keep up the awsome work curly mommy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturalfabulosity
naturalfabulosity

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 29th November 2009, 8:49 pm

Hi naturalfabulosity!!

Thank you so much!!! First, I have to say, you are GORGEOUS!

I can understand why you got to that point. It is very unfortunate. I would imagine when you did it there was not a lot of information out there. Truth be told, there's still not a lot of information out there for our children. That's why I love websites like CurlyNikki, although it is geared towards adults, I learn a lot in regards to my daughters hair. I think it is great that you are transitioning your oldest daughters hair! Please keep me posted. I would love to hear her progress. I will have to check out the KC Knot Today sometime!

Hopefully there will be tons of information for our children in the future. A lot of info out there right now is very misleading.

Thanks again!!! Smile Stop by anytime!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th November 2009, 9:40 pm

Okay Nik....Once again thanks for inspiring me. I've decided to change up my daughters EVERYDAY twist and give her some new styles.

Here are my questions:

1. How do you get your parts to look so neat?

2. How frequently do you do DDs hair?

3. What do you do in order to preserve the style? Do you cover with a silk scarf/etc?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

TIA Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum