CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newbie to transitioning...

+2
Butterfly126
alishaj90
6 posters

Go down

newbie to transitioning... Empty newbie to transitioning...

Post by alishaj90 25th March 2010, 12:27 am

hey everyone! I am newbie to transitioning, I've been at it for about 2 months now, although I didnt realize it at the beginning. I got my last relaxer sometime around the end of December '09,or the beginning of January '10, I dont exactly remember. Anyways, currently I am in the process of transitioning, and right now, I am using Softsheen Carson's "Optimum Oil Therapy" Ultimate Recovery Conditioner to co wash, and I moisturize with Palmer's Olive Oil hair dress, and use Motions Leave In Conditioner as a leave in conditioner. I co wash every week, primarily on Sunday,but I think that I will start to co wash about twice a week now. I plan to discontinue use of the Palmer's Olive Oil because I found out that it contains mineral oil, which isnt good for natural hair. I also found out that Motions contains mineral oil as well, and that Softsheen Carson contains sodium lactate,which I've heard isnt good as well. Should I continue to use Motions and Softsheen Carson? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I dont use heat on my hair, and I towel dry and allow my hair to air dry. Currently my hair style of choice is a ponytail or a bun. Right now I have about 1 inch of new growth. I plan to transition for about 8 or 9 months, at least until November,God willing. Right now I am just looking for advice or suggestions on how to make this transition process easier. Any suggestions?

alishaj90

Back to top Go down

newbie to transitioning... Empty Re: newbie to transitioning...

Post by Butterfly126 25th March 2010, 1:19 pm

I've been transitioning for about the same amount of time. I used to use Softsheen Carson Optimum products. Even though 90% of my hair is still relaxed, I stopped using those products because they contain sulfates and other chemicals. I recently started using natural products like Organix. I was told to start treating my hair as if it was 100% natural. You should start experimenting with natural products, they work really well on both natural and relaxed hair!
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 25th March 2010, 2:21 pm

Great advice Butterfly126. Alishaj90, you should follow what she recommended. Discontinue any use of products you used when relaxed and switch to products that are more "natural friendly." You're doing a great job with the cowashing and you can even use a cheap yet effective condish like VO5 Moisture Milks, Suave Naturals, Aussie Moist, Garnier Fructis, Organix, Giovanni, or Herbal Essences. I've been transitioning for about 18 months and because I stick with a simple regimen I haven't been overwhelmed by the two textures.

Switch up your protective styles. You don't want to develop breakage because of the stress occurring when your hair is pulled back regularly. Incorporate water-based moisturizers and follow with oils/butters as sealants. Don't forget to check out YT for creative styles and tips. HTH
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyMani 25th March 2010, 3:05 pm

hey, if you're only supposed to co-wash your hair twice a week, how do i freshen up a frizzy braid out if i already co-washed it twice that week?? and also another question. what can i use to help my hair growth. im not looking for a miracle, i just want to know some things that will keep my hair growing @ a continuous rate. any advice will help thanx. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MissyMani
MissyMani

https://www.youtube.com/trudamaliandiva

Back to top Go down

Post by curLEIGH 25th March 2010, 6:55 pm

MissyMani, you can freshen up a frizzy braid-out by moisturizing (shea butter, a leave-in, whatever you prefer) the hair and loosely re-braiding the hair at night. The next morning it shouldn't be as frizzy. Even when the braid-out becomes frizzy, try to wait before washing it out, because remember, you are trying to cut down on manipulation of the hair. When I was in transition, I would style my frizzy braid-outs and wear it like that for another 2-3 days. I would usually do a bun, a pomp in the top with a bun in the back, or flat twist my front edges like a headband and just keep the back frizzy.

AlishaJ, do you shampoo? I see that you co-wash, but with the products you are using, you may need to add a low-poo to your regimen (maybe once every two weeks?).

Also, to add to the products that HamptonsFnst mentioned, another great drugstore brand is Renpure Organics. Hope this helps [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curLEIGH
curLEIGH

http://curleigh.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 26th March 2010, 11:59 am

@MissMani: As you stated there is no miracle product to rapidly grow your hair yet you could try scalp massages to stimulate blood flow to your follicles for growth and the best thing to understand is that less manipulation is very important. Wear styles that don't have you worried about length like braids, kinky twists, seneglese twists, weaves or wigs.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by alishaj90 27th March 2010, 2:39 pm

Thanx for the advice everyone! I definitely plan to start treating my hair as thougih it is already natural. @ Curleigh, yes, I use Softsheen Carson Ultimate Recovery Shampoo. I dilute it with water though so it isnt as harmful.

alishaj90

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlelady023@gmail.com 28th March 2010, 1:21 pm

I'm looking for advice as I'm transitioning from a short relaxed hair cut to all natural. I currently have my hair dresser helping me with my transformation. I do get my hair done every week and I'm growing it out to have it braid in a weeks helps.

Littlelady023@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyMani 28th March 2010, 10:27 pm

thanx for all the help.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MissyMani
MissyMani

https://www.youtube.com/trudamaliandiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down