CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yarn!!!!

2 posters

Go down

Yarn!!!! Empty Yarn!!!!

Post by Ameenah 7th March 2010, 12:07 am

I have been looking at some tutorials on how to do yarn twist or yarn braids and I was interested in trying it out on my daughters hair but alot of my friends say that it will pull your hair out and other different bad things that are scaring me. My daughter and i are both natural curlies, and i wanted to just try some new things. I also heard it is not the yarn but the type you use so can anyone help me out or anyone with knowledge or experience because i don't do anything to our hairs without research.
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Yarn!!!! Empty Re: Yarn!!!!

Post by LadyMika 7th March 2010, 12:18 am

Ameenah wrote:I have been looking at some tutorials on how to do yarn twist or yarn braids and I was interested in trying it out on my daughters hair but alot of my friends say that it will pull your hair out and other different bad things that are scaring me. My daughter and i are both natural curlies, and i wanted to just try some new things. I also heard it is not the yarn but the type you use so can anyone help me out or anyone with knowledge or experience because i don't do anything to our hairs without research.

The best yarn to use for braiding/twisting is 100% acrylic. Wool, or 50/50 (half wool half acrylic) WILL tangle into your hair and pull it out. I used 100% acrylic yarn (by Bernat AND by Lion Brand--higher price, but higher quality) during all three times I've worn yarn braids. The only hair I lost was SHED hair, with the white bulb on the end. (Prepare to detangle when you take these down. A LOT. Because the hair that sheds can't go anywhere UNTIL you take the braids/twists down.) The only "side effects" I can recall having at all is ITCHING (because your scalp isn't getting washed as thoroughly) and DRYNESS (again, at the scalp). Washing with a poo bar, castile soap right out of the bottle, or diluted shampoo (or diluted conditioner if you co-wash) in a spray bottle will help you keep your scalp clean. Oiling your scalp will keep it moisturized (light to medium oils. Heavy oils or butters like shea butter will cause a lot of buildup). You can spray the braids themselves with a mix of conditioner, water, a light oil and an essential oil for additional moisture.

BlackOnyx77 on YouTube does about THREE videos on how to do yarn braids, including how to cut
the yarn, how many strands to use when braiding, and a maintenance video (she used baking soda to wash her braids and scalp). Definitely worth checking out.

Hope this helps!
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 7th March 2010, 8:14 am

Thanks Lady Mika it helps a whole lot
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down