CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics!

+23
laleepop14
NhappyJackie
TriniCherryPrincess
WhosThatRedHead
meka_g
HappyCurly
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
Nikcoils
bholmes87
poeticlyspkng
ktoliver5303
CurlsGalore
krazy coils
crvng4mr
mrsmackey
Lynnieluve
SheeTacular
Juices-n-Berries
jlowman1
sweetdrk1
Janet36603
27 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Empty Re: Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics!

Post by Janet36603 24th May 2010, 11:03 am

So, my summer classes start again today after about 2 weeks of a break from the spring semester. I'm the opposite of excited Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_mad but this gets me a step closer to that master's degree right? I'll have to keep telling myself that...

I'm still in Birmingham. I'll probably leave in another hour or so and I'll get to Montgomery by 11:30 or later depending on what time I leave here. I'm about 90% done with my hair. I just have the left half of the top to do. I've already parted it out into sections and have them separated but I'll probably work on it today before class and a little after depending on how much I get done. Thank goodness I discovered headwraps! They're a lifesaver on these days lol.

On another note, I found out today that they will be splitting up my summer financial aid (boo! Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes ) so I'll get half sometime this week and the rest at the end of June. I guess I'll just go ahead and pay some bills with this half and worry about savings and whatnot with the other half. I also need to buy some tires for my car. The website I looked at said they would be about $200 for a set of 4. That's not as bad as I thought. James's tires from the same site were $400 but his car has bigger wheels than mine.

Then this Thursday I'll be making my way to Mobile so I can try to do my neice's hair (she wants kinky twists like mine) before she leaves with my youngest neice to visit my sister for 3 weeks in Texas. I remember when I used to spend the summer with my sister while she was in college. People used to think I was her daughter lol (we're 13 years apart). I hope the twists turn out well since this would be my first time doing them on someone else's hair...and she's a permie so I hope they don't slip out.

So what are you ladies doing on this Monday morning?

P.S. 30 days until my BC Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 678474 Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 617583 Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 879602 Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Lol
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Empty Re: Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics!

Post by jlowman1 24th May 2010, 11:11 am

Heeeeeey Janet!

I'm with you on that financial aid stuff. I had a loan disburse on May 17th and it still hasn't reflected on my student account. I'm trying to give it a couple days but I wish it would hurry up. Then our financial aid dept is no help, I called and the lady was so rude, I just hung up in her face! Anywho, hope you had a great weekend!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 24th May 2010, 11:26 pm

@Jlowman1

I know right! The website says they won't disperse funds until after the registration cancellation date...which for the summer is Thursday I think so I hope I have it by Friday! The people in the financial aid office are pretty rude. I understand they're sick of us calling and answering the same questions but we need to know where our money is! Mine is usually already spent in my head before i get it lol. What are you taking this semester?
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 24th May 2010, 11:30 pm

welcome! how did i miss you...u must of got lost in the sauce! congrats on pursuing that education...keep it up!!

how long til u bc?
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 25th May 2010, 2:27 am

I posted this on my blog, but here's a repost Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin :

Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Finally done!

Just finished my kinky twists. Last set before the BC. I'm super excited! I don't feel like curling the ends tonight and clipping them though, so I'll do that tomorrow.

My Monday and Wednesday night class seems like it's going to be less than fun. We have to take turns being a patient, therapist, observer and diagnose each other (we're supposed to make something up when we're the patient) and TAPE RECORD ourselves and then we have to LISTEN to the tapes and critique ourselves. Ick. I guess it will be good practice for the real world but it seems kind of dumb. Oh well, we'll see.

Pictures coming tomorrow!

Bye Lovelies!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 25th May 2010, 2:31 am

@NubieNatty--Thanks! I'm trying to be like Curly Nikki when I grow up lol I guess I'm already a little bit grown up but you know...

Since it's past 12 that means 29 days till the BC now Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 617583
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 25th May 2010, 12:34 pm

Janet36603 wrote:@Jlowman1

I know right! The website says they won't disperse funds until after the registration cancellation date...which for the summer is Thursday I think so I hope I have it by Friday! The people in the financial aid office are pretty rude. I understand they're sick of us calling and answering the same questions but we need to know where our money is! Mine is usually already spent in my head before i get it lol. What are you taking this semester?

Ok, Mine is the same way. I already know what I want to do with it. lol
Im taking a Human Sexuality Seminar class and Principles of Psych Assessment. That class is from like 5:45-8:55. Its soooo long, OMG! I thought I was going to die yesterday. Haha, what are you taking?
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 25th May 2010, 4:32 pm

I think I had to take principles of Psych assessment my first semester since I didn't go to AUM before and they required it so it was that undergrad one at 11am and then 2 grad school ones at night. Is it with Dr. Lobello? Me and another classmate used to text the whole time and we still wound up with a B lol It was all review for me anyway but I think I should have gotten an A. Good thing it didn't count towards my grad school GPA

I'm taking Principles of Psychotherapy on monday and wed from 5:45-7:50 and ethics tuesday (w/ dr lobello...joy lol) from 5:45-9:45 but he says we won't be in there the whole time (THANK GOODNESS)
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 26th May 2010, 12:12 am

Here's some pics of me finishing up my twists. I use yarn to make the ends wavy instead of perm rods. I like them better this way because it looks more grown up. I still dip them in hot water to seal them.

Ignore my goofy smiles and my purple pajamas (my mom bought them because purple's my favorite color Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_redface )

Before the yarn
Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 05251010

All wrapped up (Medusa hair!)
Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 05251011

All dipped, cut and done!
Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 05251012

They wound up a little shorter than I wanted and I had to cut them some more to even them up a little bit. It's ok though. I'd better get used to short hair right?
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 26th May 2010, 2:00 pm

I was thinking about all the things I would need for my BC and to style my hair afterwards so I thought I'd share! Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

• Hair Shears - Probably the most important thing I'll need. I'll probably get a cheap/good pair from Walmart for about $6. I inquired about the prices of the shears in Sally's and I think the cheapest one they had was around $15 Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_eek...no thanks!
  • EARRINGS! - Second most important. I've never been much of a jewelry wearer (I went to Catholic school from 1st-12th grade and for the first 8 years we weren't allowed to wear much jewelry or have earrings that "dangled" Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes so I never got into the habit) but I have my girly moods where I accessorize. Also there is a store in Birmingham that sells earrings, bracelets etc for a dollar each. The earrings in my avi came from there lol
  • Conditioners - I'm almost out of my beloved HEHH...but the PJ in me wants to try others too! (Aussie Moist, the Giovanni line, Suave, and VO5 to name a few). Also I need one to use when I actually do my BC so I can see where the permed ends are so that I can cut them without cutting too much of my natural hair
  • Headbands and other hair accessories - I've been wanting to do a frohawk so I'll need some hair clips or at least some bobby pins. Plus I want some more headbands because the ones I have now (skinny goody ones) give me a headache if I have my hair up too long. Not cute... I did see 2 on Luvnaturals.com that aren't too expensive...I'm talking under $10. I refuse to pay $20 for a headband lol. Accessories are the way to go with short hair to jazz it up!
Am I forgetting anything? Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_scratch
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 31st May 2010, 9:00 pm

My BC date is in 23 days! I can't wait! I need to start getting some of the stuff that I mentioned in the last post together. I may go on a mini shopping spree tomorrow before class and my meeting with my adviser. I'm officially out of HEHH and I need to pick up some more but I also want to look at TJ Maxx and see if they have any Giovanni products...and of course I want to try the Aussie Moist...and maybe a cheapie like Suave too. Is having 4 different conditioners bad? lol Maybe I'll try each for a week by itself (in my spritz, and cowashing) after i do the BC and see what happens.

I put a set of kinky twists in my neice's hair while I was home for the holiday. Turned out really cute but I didn't take any pics. Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_redface Took me a day and maybe 2 or 3 hours after that. I did the back and the top the first day (a little on the sides too) so that she could wear a ponytail to school (she just had one exam and was done by 10am). When she got back I finished up that section, put the yarn on her hair, dipped it in the hot water (which took forever to boil for some reason) and clipped the ends. I tried to be REALLY careful with her hair and left the twists pretty long. I didn't want to accidentally cut any of her hair (she's a permie and would have a heart attack...I don't mind when I do my own since I'm going to cut it all off anyway lol).

My boyfriend James also came down for a few days. I hope he enjoyed himself. My dad took the opportunity to mention that he and I have been together for almost 3 years so we need to be thinking about "what we're going to do" (or in dad speak, are yall going to get married or not?!) Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_eek Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes but it wasn't anything we haven't already discussed so it's not that bad. I don't know why everyone is putting so much pressure on us to strut down the aisle. I'm not in a hurry...especially since I still have school...blah.

Well that's it for now. I'd better go scrounge something for dinner (leftover Olive Garden or leftover Papa John's pizza...hmmm? lol)

Bye lovelies!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 31st May 2010, 9:05 pm

Janet36603 wrote:I was thinking about all the things I would need for my BC and to style my hair afterwards so I thought I'd share! Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

• Hair Shears - Probably the most important thing I'll need. I'll probably get a cheap/good pair from Walmart for about $6. I inquired about the prices of the shears in Sally's and I think the cheapest one they had was around $15 Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_eek...no thanks!
  • EARRINGS! - Second most important. I've never been much of a jewelry wearer (I went to Catholic school from 1st-12th grade and for the first 8 years we weren't allowed to wear much jewelry or have earrings that "dangled" Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes so I never got into the habit) but I have my girly moods where I accessorize. Also there is a store in Birmingham that sells earrings, bracelets etc for a dollar each. The earrings in my avi came from there lol
  • Conditioners - I'm almost out of my beloved HEHH...but the PJ in me wants to try others too! (Aussie Moist, the Giovanni line, Suave, and VO5 to name a few). Also I need one to use when I actually do my BC so I can see where the permed ends are so that I can cut them without cutting too much of my natural hair
  • Headbands and other hair accessories - I've been wanting to do a frohawk so I'll need some hair clips or at least some bobby pins. Plus I want some more headbands because the ones I have now (skinny goody ones) give me a headache if I have my hair up too long. Not cute... I did see 2 on Luvnaturals.com that aren't too expensive...I'm talking under $10. I refuse to pay $20 for a headband lol. Accessories are the way to go with short hair to jazz it up!
Am I forgetting anything? Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_scratch

Get you some VO5 conditioner to do your BC. It's cheap. Dont use the good stuff.

Have you thought about using a banana clip to do your frohawk?

You forgot one thing.....Get your eyebrows arched if you dont do them yourself. Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_lol
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 31st May 2010, 11:09 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:

Get you some VO5 conditioner to do your BC. It's cheap. Dont use the good stuff.

Have you thought about using a banana clip to do your frohawk?

You forgot one thing.....Get your eyebrows arched if you dont do them yourself. Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_lol

Thanks for replying! I have a few banana clips already but I've never used them. I was in Walmart with my boyfriend one day and he suggested I get them for my hair when we were in that section so I did but never got around to doing a style lol.

I do my eyebrows myself (I pluck them Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_eek lol) and in fact I need to re-do them right now but I've been lazy the last few days. I hadn't even thought about that for the BC though!

As for the VO5, I might try that or Suave for the BC since they're both pretty cheap. I'll save my good stuff for the cowash afterwards Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 617583
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 1st June 2010, 8:55 am

Hi Janet!!

Sorry I haven't been by sooner!! You have 22 more days before your BC.... cheers

So you've transitioned for 9 going on 10 months!! WOW....congratulations girl!!!

I will be sure to check in with you more to keep up with your journey!!

Have a great day!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 1st June 2010, 12:20 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hi Janet!!

Sorry I haven't been by sooner!! You have 22 more days before your BC.... cheers

So you've transitioned for 9 going on 10 months!! WOW....congratulations girl!!!

I will be sure to check in with you more to keep up with your journey!!

Have a great day!!

KNH

Thanks! It's been almost 9 months. I guess it will be about 9 1/2 when I BC. Odd number I
know lol. Once I do I'll probably wonder why I didn't do it sooner...at
least I hope so! I think when I officially started transitioning I was already at 2 or 3 months post but I know I've had at least 6 months of caring for my hair myself. Kinky twists have saved my life (and hair) the last few months. I had BAD breakage so I figured messing around with my hair all the time was doing more harm than good so I just put it up and let the curly babies do their thing. They seem happy with me Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_lol
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 3rd June 2010, 1:13 am

I posted this on my blog. It's not really hair related but it's an update Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_lol

So I'm trying to change my eating habits slightly to be healthier right? I got one of those 64 oz water bottles and for the past 2 days I've been filling it up and trying to finish it before I go to sleep that night. Man that's a LOT of water! If I keep this up I should not be dehydrated at ALL.

I also bought a single serve blender cup thingy that I've been using to make smoothies in the morning. I found some yoplait smoothie things with frozen fruit and yogurt pieces that you just throw in the blender and add a little milk too for breakfast. I'm really bad about eating breakfast so me eating (or in this case I guess drinking) something is better than nothing. The first kind I tried
was pretty good. Tasted kind of like strawberry ice cream. The one I have for tomorrow is mango, & pineapple or something like that.

Just wanted to do a quick update. About 20 days to go until the BC!

Bye lovelies!

P.S. In hair news, I bought some more HEHH while I was in Target yesterday killing time before class. Their hair accessories are expensive...and not always the cutest. Oh well, the search continues!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 3rd June 2010, 4:18 pm

Hey Lady!! Actually eating healthier can be totally hair related because we are what we eat and the nutrients you get from food and the hydration you get from water helps the hair. Yay you!!! bounce
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 3rd June 2010, 9:08 pm

SheeTacular_Napps wrote:Hey Lady!! Actually eating healthier can be totally hair related because we are what we eat and the nutrients you get from food and the hydration you get from water helps the hair. Yay you!!! bounce

Thanks. I hope it helps! Drinking all of this water is HARD. I feel like I spend half the day in the bathroom Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_redface
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 8th June 2010, 12:17 am

Hey ladies!
I'm still counting down the days till the BC. I have 16 left (might as well say 15 since it's 10pm already). I think I'll wash my hair tomorrow and do a ACV rinse. I was trying to wait until I had about 2 more weeks till the BC. I hope these twists hold up until then. They're looking a little raggedy to me (maybe I'm just being picky?). I finally got some more FOTE aloe vera gel the other day, but I still forgot to get another spray bottle (and I left my other spray bottle in Montgomery when I took my weekly trip to Birmingham this last week...oops!), so I haven't really done much of my spritzing these past few days. I think my hair was really missing the aloe vera gel, because the last spritz I made just had HEHH, water, EVOO, and some EO's in it and my scalp has still been itchy and really dry (can we say dandruff anyone? Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_redface)

I wore my hair in pigtails today which I thought were kind of cute. I was bored with my hair Saturday and trying to figure out a style to try and I decided to oil my scalp. I put one side in a ponytail holder while I worked with the other side and thought that it looked kind of cute so that's how the pigtails started. Also it came in handy when I worked out with James (lifted some weights doing chest exercises) because it was out of the way and easy for me to lay my head down on the weight bench.

If I'm not too terribly lazy, I'm going to go by Dollar General tomorrow and see if I can find one of the microfiber head wraps that I saw on a youtube video. They were only $2 and might be a good investment so I could put one of those on after I wash my hair and not have it dripping everywhere. Also, if it speeds up the drying time that would be a plus.

In health related news, I've been doing really well with my water. I've finished it before bed (and some days way earlier) every day since I've started. I think it will be a week tomorrow. Something like that. I actually have about 1/4 of my bottle to finish for today because I didn't drink that much on the drive down here and wasn't in my apartment long before I had to rush off to my appointment with my thesis adviser and then class tonight.

I'm thinking about doing my thesis on perceptions of different skin tones (darker vs. lighter) in racial groups and the impact on them being seen as "hireable". The other idea is to basically do the same thing, but using hair styles (natural, curly, straight, weaves, etc) to see if those had an effect. I'm leaning more towards the skin tone thing though.

Well that's enough rambling for now. I'm off to finish my water Smile

Bye lovelies!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 10th June 2010, 1:48 am

Hey Ladies! I did a ACV rinse tonight on my hair, and then washed it. It felt soooooo good! Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_bounce After I put the rinse on my hair (I did it over the sink and had a big container to catch some of the rinse as it drained and then I took that and poured it over my head again to make sure I got all of my scalp well.) I squeezed out some of the water so it wouldn't drip as much and then put on a shower cap for about 20 or so minutes.

Then I got my big spray bottle and squeezed some HEHH in there and filled it up with water and shook it up to dilute it. Then I put a couple drops of tea tree and peppermint essential oils and got in the shower. I poured half of the mixture over my head and massaged my scalp with the pads of my fingers and then repeated before washing it out (and finishing my shower lol). Then I plopped my hair with a T-Shirt for about 5 minutes which got most of the water out. Last I sprayed some of my HEHH, water, olive oil, jojoba oil, aloe vera gel, tea tree/peppermint oil spritz in and massaged it in the scalp.

So now here I am with clean hair and a tingly cool scalp (I just love the smell of the peppermint EO). I'm going to let my hair air dry as long as I'm awake (which knowing me will be a few more hours) and then sleep in my satin bonnet and my hair should be dry by morning (I really don't like sleeping with wet hair, but I tried it another time and it worked out ok.

So that's it for now, night night Lovelies!

P.S. 13 more days till the BC Smile
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 10th June 2010, 2:59 am

Thirteen more days!! yyeaahh!! I am so excited for you. those twist came out nice I think they are a good length. I can not wait to see your pictures of your BC!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th June 2010, 11:28 am

Welcome!

Woo hoo, 13 more days to the BC!

As far as products, I did not see you list a moisturizer and/or styler.

I was a psychology major. Interesting field of study to say the least. I would love you to share your thesis.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 10th June 2010, 4:19 pm

Can't wait for you BC!! I hope all is well!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 10th June 2010, 6:37 pm

ktoliver5303 wrote:Thirteen more days!! yyeaahh!! I am so excited for you. those twist came out nice I think they are a good length. I can not wait to see your pictures of your BC!

Thanks! I'm excited too!

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Welcome!

Woo hoo, 13 more days to the BC!

As far as products, I did not see you list a moisturizer and/or styler.

I was a psychology major. Interesting field of study to say the least. I would love you to share your thesis.
Well I've kind of been following the curly girl method the last few months, so I'll use conditioner as my styler/leave in. I use Aloe Vera Gel, Olive Oil, Jojoba oil, HEHH, and Essential Oils as my main products right now (and water of course!). I also made a shealoe mix that I used the last time I put my twists in (and my boyfriend uses it on his hair too lol) so once I run out I'll whip up a fresh batch!

As for the thesis goes, I'm leaning more towards different skin tones within specific races (I'm thinking African American and white or middle eastern) and if lighter/darker skin tones affect a person's chances of getting hired for a fake bank teller job. I still have some details to iron out but I'll certainly let you ladies know!

SheeTacular_Napps wrote:Can't wait for you BC!! I hope all is well!

Thanks! I think the next few days will crawl by lol Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_bounce I'm super excited! Hide the scissors till the 23rd! Janet36603--Why I've been MIA and lots of pics! - Page 2 Icon_lol
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th June 2010, 12:20 pm

What's your shea aloe mix?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next