CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rag/Paper Bag Curls

+3
new2curl
NewlyNina
C.
7 posters

Go down

Rag/Paper Bag Curls Empty Rag/Paper Bag Curls

Post by C. 20th May 2010, 1:06 pm

So lately i have really been wanting to try flexi-rods, but i havent been able to find them for cheaper than $8 a pack. I dont wanna spend this much money on an experiment so my mom and her friend suggested curling it with a paper bag, my face--> [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I had never heard of it so i googled it and some people also use rags and such.

anywho- I tried it out with a small section of hair and it looked like i had just done a twist out-only much frizzier. My question is how do i get the curls to look like a flexi-rods set? My mom said that they used to do these on their hair when they were younger and they look just like a rod set. she also said that the process is the same as putting flexi's in your hair.

im so confused and in need of styling ideas. I love twists but they're getting old and take too long to put in..

**** [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] any and all help is appreciated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ****

C.

Back to top Go down

Rag/Paper Bag Curls Empty Re: Rag/Paper Bag Curls

Post by NewlyNina 20th May 2010, 2:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My mom would style our hair using this methong but with braids. The definition you get is so amazing! But I'm thinking (haven't tried it) to get the flexi-rod look that will depend on how you wrap your hair around the paper bag. Maybe you should try to wrap your hair in a spiral motion around the paper bag [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Let me know how it turns out for you! I might revist this myself...Good Luck
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 20th May 2010, 2:28 pm

thanx for responding NewlyNina. how did your mom style them with braids- did she take the braids out or just curl them?

i dont necessarily wasnt flexi-rod curls, i'm just curious as to what it would look like. i mean i have NEVER heard of this and would never have thought of it myself.

right now i'm using plastic sandwhich bags cuz i dont have any paper bags and cant seem to find any notebook paper or a shirt im willing to sacrifice, but i'll post pix after i take them out which will probably be tomorrow morning. hopefully it looks OK.

wish me luck, lol

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 20th May 2010, 2:37 pm

No problem glad I could help!

Well what I can remember she would would do individual braids or braided pony tails and then roll the braid with a small section of the brown paper bag. Then the next day or so she would unbraid them gently and....VOILA! Curls for days. But I can say that the brown paper bag works better for some reason.
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 20th May 2010, 3:03 pm

oaky thanx. i'll have to go buy some paper bags then. I'll still post some pictures so you can see what it looks like and i will definitely be trying your mom's method. i bet it was nice.

the brown paper bag probably works better because its stiffer and easier to roll, its taking a while to do them with the sandwhich baggies, so i'll def. be looking for somebrwon bags

Last edited by Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 on 20th May 2010, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add something)

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 20th May 2010, 3:12 pm

Ok...and as soon as i get my hands on paper bags I will revisiting this style. Whole Foods uses them, hmm...what do I need??? LOL
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by new2curl 20th May 2010, 4:52 pm

I remember my mom doingthe same thing just make sure you tear you paper bag into small sections and twist the brown bag so that your section its stiff en
enough to give you a good curl.
new2curl
new2curl

http://web.me.com/new2curl/Site

Back to top Go down

Post by new2curl 20th May 2010, 5:00 pm

Oh yeah I found some Flexi Rods at Ross for $1.99 with 8 rods in the pack not sure if you have a Ross in your area.
new2curl
new2curl

http://web.me.com/new2curl/Site

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 20th May 2010, 5:55 pm

Whaaa!!!! Yea I do have a Ross in my area! its only like 5-10 minutes away. I never would have thought to go to Ross although i've read that many ppl on her buy hair products from Ross and Marshalls. thanx new2curl, i will check it out soon as i get some funds [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 20th May 2010, 6:17 pm

My grandmother did the brown paper bag. I can never get it to work.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 21st May 2010, 1:03 am

Check out the You Tube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8D5kWH3jkY
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 16th June 2010, 11:40 pm

I have used paper bags and rags before and they work very well. I find that you need LONG strips of the paper or fabric and you need to make sure your ends are flat as you roll. I use to do it on relaxed hair in the summer and I have done it on twists since I have been natural. A "giveaway" T-shirt make work best to cut up and reuse because you can always wash the strips in a mesh bag.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 22nd June 2010, 7:21 pm

For cheap flexi-rods you can get them on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/30X-NEW-SOFT-BENDY-HAIR-ROLLERS-Foam-Curlers-24cm-small-/270561324860?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efeb62f3c

They're 30 small yellow rods for $2! Great steal!
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down