CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Type of texture

2 posters

Go down

Type of texture Empty Type of texture

Post by Curlystudent12 20th May 2010, 1:02 am

Hey everyone,

I'm a 19 year old rising Junior in college and i'm trying to figure out my hair texture type.
I need a big sister for advice as to what products are good, what products are bad, and other suggestions. Can someone help please?!?
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

http://www2.stephens.edu/studentweb/IME290/TParadise/index.html

Back to top Go down

Type of texture Empty Re: Type of texture

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 5:57 pm

Any luck curlystudent? I'd love to help! Hair typing is inexact and difficult to determine, but I will do my best to help you. Just realize that your hair type is more of a factor in how you style your hair, not how you maintain it (i.e. keeping it moisturized, preventing breakage). You should post some pictures of your freshly washed hair or email them to me at hairliberty@gmail.com.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 6th July 2010, 7:08 pm

how do you post pictures on here
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 7:12 pm

This is my first day playing around in the forums, so hopefully this is right. Click Post Reply at the bottom of the screen (next to New Topic). There you can write your post and insert pics.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 6th July 2010, 7:17 pm

i'll just email the pic to you
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 6th July 2010, 7:42 pm

did you get my email?
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 7:58 pm

Yup, I got it. IMO, you are 4b/c. Such a tight curl pattern that it looks like no curl at all. Check out this link, does this sound like your hair?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type4

If so, welcome to the club, Very Happy That seems to be the most common hair type around here. It's crucial to keep your hair moisturized but a lot of times, no matter what you do, the hair still feels dry to the touch. Before I start spouting off product recommendations, what are you currently using? Is there anything that you used that you hated, i.e. did not like the way it made your hair feel or look?
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 6th July 2010, 8:19 pm

sort of but i don't have a z pattern hair texture
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 9:25 pm

Well, like I said, hair typing is very inexact. If you feel you are more 4a, then go with 4a. I definitely wouldn't put you in the 3 category though. What's your product run down? Are you having trouble styling or maintaining length or both?
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Type of texture Empty My Hair Rundown

Post by Curlystudent12 7th July 2010, 10:56 am

I'm currently using Kera Care Shampoo and Conditioner. I use Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner and oil although I think my hair like the Keret- Amen oil better. I use Organix's Coconut hair milk as well. I'm looking for good hair grease if you have any suggestions. The only styles I've mastered are comb twist and twist outs. I don't know how to French braid, my hair is very long yet I might have 4inch at the top center of my head and 2inches on the sides. I could really use tips on how the get more length. I'm completely open to any product, style, and maintenance suggestions
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Type of texture Empty Re: My Hair Rundown

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 3:54 pm

The KeraCare is good stuff. Pricey for a college student, maybe Smile...but their shampoo and conditioner are definitely good. They are also formulated for hard water and pH balanced, both of those things are pretty important considering that you are in MO.

Carol's Daughter Tui leave-in is not great by itself. That is an example of a water based moisturizer that does not include a sealant. To finish the bottle, apply it to your hair and then put a layer of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, or shea butter over that.

The Khoret Amen Oil is basically olive oil. Olive oil is great, just make sure you are keeping your hair moist with water also. During the week, spray your hair with filtered or bottled water (or use the Tui leave in), and then put a light coating of Khoret or one of the oils mentioned above. If you don't have any Khoret left, I would try one of the natural oils listed above before buying that expensive bottle again.

Also, which Organix Coconut Milk are you referring to? The Conditioner or the Leave-In?

You said you are looking for a hair grease. Please make sure that you are not putting anything on your scalp. Literally, nothing. Your scalp gets washed and conditioned with your hair and you shouldn't put anything on it after that. Sometimes if I have any itchy spots, I rub a little olive oil on the itchy area, but that's it. I haven't had to do that in a while though. Your scalp needs to breathe!

I order oils and butters from Amazon.com or Butter n Bars. If you shop Amazon, make sure you choose 100% pure products...not creams or body butters.

To maintain length just wash and condition as you have been doing. Use a leave-in and then leave it a lone. Seriously! I know you might be tired of twists/twist outs, but I think seeking so much variety keeps some people from maintaining length. The more you manipulate your hair the more of it you will lose. Try scarves and headbands to change up the look until you get more length. If your curls start to look sad, spray with some water (or apply more Tui) and seal with oil.

Also, try to keep shampooing to once a week. If your hair is being completely uncooperative during the week, do a co-wash. Before your weekly shampoo, deep condition by applying olive or coconut oil thoroughly on to dirty hair (meaning the night before you wash), put on a plastic cap, leave it on overnight, then wash and condition in the morning with your KeraCare.

I know that's a lot of info. Does it make sense?

LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 7th July 2010, 4:22 pm

I stocked up on the Kera Care when the had a big sale at the mall.

I do have a question about the Tui. can I contiut to buy it if I use the Khoret or Olive oil? also can you use extra virgin olive oil like the kind you get from the grocery store?

I use the Organix Coconut Milk leave-in conditioner. I went conditoner crazy at target.

you talked alot about sealing your hair with oil. what does that meanand How do you do that?

I curently have some Senagalees Twist in my hair. who do you think about braids? good or bad?

I was a little skeptical about buying from butters and bars have you ever had any trouble?

everything you said make alot of sense

Oh I BC'd in january I have'nt gotten my ends cliped since should I?
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 7th July 2010, 4:41 pm

I forgot to mention I also you Carol's daughter health hair butter.

The products that I've used and have not been succes ful with are Henna. ( I dont think I used it correctly)

I use herbal essence totally twisted it left my hair a bit cruchy.

Miss Jessie's curly pudding it left build up in my hair.

and that's all that i've tryed but didn't like.

My mom just bought the true textures buy Mizani have you heard any thing about that?
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 5:37 pm

Yes,the Tui is fine if use Khoret or an oil afterwards. The CD Hair Butter is a water based moisturizer that does have sealants (soybean oil, shea butter, etc.) You could use that by itself.

Sealing moisture means adding an oil layer. Water is the best moisturizer for your hair which is why most product ingredients list start with that word...water. But, as you know, water evaporates very quickly, especially if you are in a warm environment. Sealing the water or moisturizer in with oil keeps it from evaporating too quickly. That way your hair stays moisturized for longer. Also, the natural oils that I mentioned can help the hair be stronger and softer. Just make sure you use just a little oil or butter at a time, until you find the right amount. Too much oil isn't going to harm your hair, but it sure doesn't look or feel good.

Make sure you decide on a routine and stick to it though. I mean wash, condition, and use one leave-in. That way you can evaluate how the product is working. If you put 3 different products on your hair after your wash/condition, you will most likely end up with crunchy hair and you won't get any feedback about the individual products. You can experiment with different oils though. You will apply such small amounts to seal, i don't think it matters if you always use Khoret or Olive Oil or whatever.

I will have to look at the Organix leave in next time I'm at the store. Not sure what's in it. If you can tell me the 1st five ingredients listed, I can tell you if it's worth keeping around. I read bottles like crazy!

Braids and Twists are great because they keep you from playing in your hair too much. BUT, they can't be too tight at the hair line. I wore braids and weaves for about 18 of my 29 years on this earth. They were always put in really tight and my hairline has receded a little on one side Crying or Very sad. I think it's coming back now that I've stopped the abuse, but it's scary to think how it would look if I didn't make a change.

Henna's great, but I know it's easy to mess up. I wrote some tips in the Henna forum if you want to check those out. I get my Henna from Butters N Bars. I was nervous ordering from a small business on the internet, but I have been very happy with my orders. The post has something about curl loosening in the title.

I wouldn't worry about trimming yet. Trimming is important for maintaining length, but most of the hair on your head is still pretty "fresh". I wouldn't trim until your hair is chin length when stretched. Everybody has different opinions about this though. If you manipulate very little and stay on your conditioning game, your ends should not start to thin out and you can hold off on trimming.

Last edited by LittleOne on 7th July 2010, 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 5:41 pm

Don't know much about the Mizani....I think I looked at it last time I was in Ulta. I feel like the moisturizing cream had mineral oil or petroleum. If so, similar to Miss Jessie's, it may cause build up.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 7th July 2010, 5:43 pm

is the extra virgin olive oil you cook with ok to use in your hair?
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 5:49 pm

Oh yeah, sorry. EVOO straight from the grocery store...cheap and amazing!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlystudent12 7th July 2010, 5:53 pm

ok cool I'll just use the Khoret-Amen Oil the Tui Leav in condioner and the Kera Care shampoo and conditioner for a month consitently and that way I can see if I really like it. I'll keep u posted big sis! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Curlystudent12
Curlystudent12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 6:04 pm

Happy to help sweetie! I'll be looking forward to your update.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down