CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out?

+3
DreamMerchant
curlista
Islander3906
7 posters

Go down

What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out? Empty What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out?

Post by Islander3906 16th February 2010, 9:21 pm

Ladies and gents (I always wonder if there are gents here - don't want to leave anyone out)

Anyway I've been with CurlyNikki since she appeared on Tyra's show so I've been educating myself with all of your help and glad to do it. Now I've seen some posts where folks talk about figuring out the type of hair you have; which would better help you to identify the type of products to use. For example some hair types can't take shea butter, some can't take protein etc.

Is this something I can find out by going to a salon - not that there are many in the DC area. Or is there a test - have you figured out your hair type. I know this journey takes a lot of patience so I'll continue to do research on my end and share my findings but so far I've come up with NOTHING.

Also I was on the train today and saw another "Curly" and I was so tempted to talk to her we were both wearing a puff today - I twisted my hair this weekend and couldn't do anything with it this morning...so I puffed it. Her hair was beautiful; I thought mine was dry but I'm very critical of myself. I just picked up my aloe vera gel, castor oil and deep conditioning treatment by (Organics) so I'm on my way - I took pictures also of the first two strand twist (attached) I did so in order to compare with the second, third etc. I realize this is a trial and error thing but if only I could find out my hair type that might help.

Smooches.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out? Empty Re: What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out?

Post by curlista 16th February 2010, 9:39 pm

From the photo, it's kind of hard to tell with the twistout but i'd say 4a. I also did alot of research when I decided to where my hair naturally and beginning I found alot of information on naturallycurly.com They also have a system to determine hair types: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types I personally am a 3c/4a, I hope this helps Very Happy
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out? Empty Re: What Type Am I? What type are you? 4A, 4B etc. How did you find out?

Post by Islander3906 16th February 2010, 10:39 pm

Thank you Curlista I'm checking it out now. Wonderful and your hair is nice don't change a thing - and long. What's your secret for growth?
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 16th February 2010, 10:41 pm

I wonder what mine is too because I do not see my hair on any of those women's head!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 17th February 2010, 12:31 am

Thank you and no secret really its always grown pretty healthily, genetics i guess but thanks Very Happy
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 17th February 2010, 1:08 am

I'm struggling with mine still even with the link. When I pull a few strands the coils aren't tight they don't form an S or a Z more like a I_I type of shape. If you continue the pattern you'll see they're not tight and they're not curly they have a square like shape. Like a squarish S if that makes sense but I will take a better look at it and keep researching. I think this is all that can be done. Until then I will continue to use oils, I'm taking a vitamin called BIOTIN and I'm drinking a smoothie that I got from one of the threads which consists of a raw egg, soy milk, wheat germ and a few other small items. Not very appetizing but I'm going to give it 3 months and report back.

As always you ladies are very helpful and I thank God for this forum and opportunity to have discussions with my sistas.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 17th February 2010, 2:33 am

If you're looking for a good conditioner, the Herbal Essences line is VERY good....all of their conditioners are very moisturizing, specifically Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I use their conditioner and I love it Smile if it's too thick for you, VO5 is cheaper and still comes in really pleasant scents.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 18th February 2010, 12:30 am

Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetsgirl 18th February 2010, 9:45 pm

Islander3906 wrote:I'm struggling with mine still even with the link. When I pull a few strands the coils aren't tight they don't form an S or a Z more like a I_I type of shape. If you continue the pattern you'll see they're not tight and they're not curly they have a square like shape. Like a squarish S if that makes sense but I will take a better look at it and keep researching. I think this is all that can be done. Until then I will continue to use oils, I'm taking a vitamin called BIOTIN and I'm drinking a smoothie that I got from one of the threads which consists of a raw egg, soy milk, wheat germ and a few other small items. Not very appetizing but I'm going to give it 3 months and report back.

As always you ladies are very helpful and I thank God for this forum and opportunity to have discussions with my sistas.

Be careful consuming raw eggs because it blocks the synthesis of Vitamin K which is necessary for clotting. It's a fat solube vitamin.

Sweetsgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 18th February 2010, 9:58 pm

i actually dont pay attn to the typing cuz my hair is coily around the sides and more wavy/straight up top! i know its thick and tends to get dry easily. im not trippin on waking up and my hair being down my back within a week. im just workin on maintaining growth n keepin it healthy. the more you just let it be, before you know it ur hair grows!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 18th February 2010, 10:17 pm

Thank you all for your comments. Nubie Natty we live in the same area we should get together sometime maybe we can do each other's hair...
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 18th February 2010, 10:21 pm

HEY ISLANDER!!! yes indeed...well actually im lazy enuff when it comes to my own head, lol. im in upper marlboro! head over to the dc meet up and watch the topic cuz we keep in touch and hopefully the next meet up will be the spring time!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyJustMe 19th February 2010, 11:31 am

I personally have at least 2 if not 3 different types in my head...I am a 3c in the front/crown area and then a 4a on the sides and part of the back, and then there is a little 4b, I believe, sprinkled back there too.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NaturallyJustMe
NaturallyJustMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 19th February 2010, 12:20 pm

Well I won't focus on the hair type so much...it's too complicated. I've read the articles but I think I'm still understanding my hair. I however will focus on keeping the scalp clean and moisturized, researching products and finding styles that I can wear to work without getting "those looks".

When ppl get used to one thing and you make a change OH it turns into World News and you get interviewed by every one that passes you in the hall way, elevator, lobby urrggghh. Unless it's the girls that don't like you in the first place they just stare (yeah they are also the weave wearers) - oh well I'm going to continue to love my locs. Thanks curlies...
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down