CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help!

4 posters

Go down

What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help! Empty What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help!

Post by Pamiwithlove 19th May 2010, 6:45 pm

So I am a freshman in college attending Appalachian State University.
I just recently finished my first semester and I was determined to go natural. The reason because is because I am tired of relaxing my hair and dealing with constant blow drying and I have no idea what my natural hair is like, I m curious!. After I came back home from college I told my mother and my grandmother and I told them to support me and they said they would. I had my last relaxer in March and I had decided to do the BC in June I was so determined. I talked to my mom,grandma and boyfriend about this situation and he was very supportive and told me he admire my decision and he was happy with whatever made me happy. But now my mom and grandmother have been getting at me for wanting to cut my hair and now I have no idea what to do! my mom told me its gonna take my femininity away but I can't help it think that because I come here and I see such beautiful women rocking their TWA!
Now I am filled with doubt and I have no idea whether I should go through it. I am terrified as to what my natural hair is gonna be like!! my mom told me that its very coarse and hard! thanks mom for the support!
any advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
God bless you lovely ladies!
Pamiwithlove
Pamiwithlove

Back to top Go down

What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help! Empty Re: What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help!

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 8:44 pm

Hey Pami,

I just want to offer some words of encouragement to you. The way I see it, if something will make you happy, do it. This is not your grandmother's life, or your mom's. It's yours and you should do things for you.

My mom initially seemed supportive, but I think when she realized that this wasn't just another one of my phases and that I meant business, that's when she became vocal about not liking the idea. My mom means a lot to me but honestly, her opinion doesn't matter when it comes to me going natural.

This will be for the benefit of your hair. If you use the information on this site and the abundance of other natural hair forums online, your hair will be healthier than ever before. It will grow longer and stronger than ever before. If that's not a good enough reason to go natural, I don't know what is! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your mom probably says your natural hair is coarse and hard because there wasn't as much knowledge about natural hair care and needs back in the day when she used to handle it. But now there are so many products and techniques to care for your hair that the true texture might just as well surprise her too!

If you ever need inspiration or support, the ladies here are incredible. You could also look at natural hair journeys on youtube, I know I do it every day. Surround yourself with photos of natural woman with styles you'd like to wear someday. Sounds corny but it works!

Hope I helped at least a little.

Stay blessed and beautiful. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help! Empty Re: What to do!? go natural or stay!? Help!

Post by songbird 19th May 2010, 8:45 pm

By the way, I had my last relaxer in March as well. We could be transition buddies if you'd like. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 19th May 2010, 10:23 pm

Hi Pami! Welcome to the wonderful world of transitioning!

I am sorry that you are feeling such anxiety towards doing the big cut. In a way I have been sort of coaxed into waiting to do the B/C and after having time to think about it, I don't mind doing a long-term transition, mainly because my stylist did, not because my mom thinks it's stupid. Just remember you don't have to cut. It really just makes it easier for you. Smile

Luckily for me, my hair stylist is all natural and she gives me the support I need while my mom scoffs at my hair. In the end, it's your hair and your decision. I feel like, listening to people's opinions are essential, but sometimes they're not always right. It /is/ just an opinion. If you love your hair then that's what you need. If you love it, others will love it. There's so much you could do with your hair, but if /you/ are not ready then wait, but wait because /you/ want to.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th May 2010, 10:23 pm

Well said Songbird. The only thing I would had is natural hair is not suppose to be hard...if you keep it properly moisturized, it will be quite soft...

Stick around this site and you will be just fine. If you dont think you will be ready to Big Chop next month, then wait a little while longer.

Good luck on your journey and keep your head up.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down