CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little knots on the ends of my hair

+6
Karyn
SisterBoyd
lena73
Lynnieluve
wavygirl9
10 posters

Go down

Little knots on the ends of my hair Empty Little knots on the ends of my hair

Post by wavygirl9 14th May 2010, 11:38 pm

I keep getting these little knots on the ends of my hair in the center. I don't know if this is normal or if I am not keeping it moisturized enough. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found any solutions?

wavygirl9

Back to top Go down

Little knots on the ends of my hair Empty Re: Little knots on the ends of my hair

Post by Lynnieluve 14th May 2010, 11:47 pm

Unfortunately, fairy knots/single strand knots is just a part of being natural. I find that keeping my hair in protective styles helps cut down on the amount of knots I have.

If I wear my hair in "out" styles alot, I will have a ton of them. When I find them, I just snip them with my scissors. If you dont cut them, they will catch on other hairs and cause tangles.

Hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Little knots on the ends of my hair Empty Re: Little knots on the ends of my hair

Post by ... 14th May 2010, 11:48 pm

It could actually go either way. The thing about kinky/curly hair is that, because it's so not-straight, the strands have a tendency to just curl up on themselves and create little fairy knots when the hair is out (you know, not in protective styles). If your hair is kinky, whether it's wet or dry or whatever, the strands are eventually going to just knot up on themselves whenever the hair is out (and sometimes even when it's not), no matter what you do. It just comes with the territory.

On the other side of the fence, if your hair isn't properly moisturized, the strands will split and the split ends (coupled with the general knotty nature of kinky/curly hair aforementioned) will tie themselves into similar, tiny knots. But this can be fixed with a simple trim (if the problem hasn't gotten exponentially bad) and proper moisturizing.

It's nothing to really worry about because it's going to happen no matter what you do (unless you shave all your hair off, that is, lol). All you have to do is keep the knots to a minimum, snip out the annoying little ones you come across (with sharpened hair shears), and accept your knotty-ness.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by wavygirl9 15th May 2010, 12:04 am

Thanks for the insite. I am still learning about my hair. I wish I had have done some research before I became natural so I could have been better prepared.

wavygirl9

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th May 2010, 12:09 am

If you stick around this site and continue to ask question, you will prepared. You may turn into a product junkie while you researching but in the end you will find a regimen and products your hair will love.

Good luck on your journey.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 15th May 2010, 8:05 am

as my hair has gotten longer and i constantly did WNGs...ive become the fairy knot queen. i had a serious finger detangling session the other day.a lot of hair was lossed, but that could be just dead hair anyway.
gonna gt a trim today. it prolly be about 2 - 3 inches.
oh well
i know now.*shrug*
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 15th May 2010, 4:04 pm

I agree with the combination of the way it is and probably needing more moisture and sealing. Are you sealing your ends after properly moisturizing them?

I'm a serious wash'n'ger and I have those special knots. I take the time out at least once a week to clip and a few times a month to sit down with some moisture and oil and my scissors for a special session of search and destroy.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 15th May 2010, 4:34 pm

I've been moisturizing like crazy and have yet to feel any SSK in about a month , so that could be the problem for you. I've been using a thick conditioner, followed by a sealer. I've worn my hair in a braid out for the past four days and don't have any SSK.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 17th May 2010, 5:37 pm

I get them all the time...I like playing with them for some odd reason...does that make me weird?....i like to search my hair for them and detangle them with my fingers...
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 17th May 2010, 6:13 pm

I wish someone would have told me this was normal the last go round. I just attributed it it my weirdness and thought my hair was especially weird too.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 17th May 2010, 6:35 pm

I'm transitioning, but I still get fairy knots. I had a bad hair week once, because I braid and curled the front, but corn rowed the back. i curled the ends of the corn rows. it was too different , i had to put it back.

at any rate, i was runnign my fingers through it. I noticed the part in the back, with teh corn rows, had several fairy knots. and the braid and curl part had none!! so i don't know. this week i did all braid and curl all over, so I can't wait to see what happens by saturday.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 17th May 2010, 6:39 pm

I read that straight hair gets singl-strand knots too. I guess its just one of those things! My hair is flat-ironed right now and I noticed a single-strand knot in it the other day. Just can't win! lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down