CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confused and Going Broke!!!

5 posters

Go down

Confused and Going Broke!!! Empty Confused and Going Broke!!!

Post by bbshawnae 8th May 2010, 11:02 am

Hey Curlies!!!

I need HELP!!! I've been natural for little over a year now. I did my BC April 20, 2009. Initially, I rocked the short hair for a while. I would wash and condition my hair with Pantene Curls then put in the Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in condtioner. Everyday I would wet my hair and put the Cantu in and I noticed my hair would look all fabulous when I left the house but by the end of the day it was dry and ashy. I know you're reading this like "Oh, no she didn't". Yes I did wet my hair everyday!!!! During the time I kept my hair short I tried everything from Cantu, Kinky Curly, Miss Jessies, Carols Daughter and everything in between. A friend of mine that is also natural told me that it would initially be expensive while searching for products that are best for your hair type but I didn't expect to go BROKE!!! Is there something I'm doing wrong? Whenever I see someone with very nice curls that look like they have similar hair type I stop and ask what products they use. Usually, most of them I have already tried...but it didn't work for me or was I not using it right...idk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Permed Hair

BC April 20, 2009 (I kept it like this for 8 months...maybe even shorter than this)

Ok, so now I'm allowing my hair to grow. I haven't cut it again since Dec 2009. I must say that it has grown enormously in the past 5 months. However, its still dry/ashy, my scalp is itchy and I'm just really frustrated. A few months ago my friend told me about this website and nappturality to get advice and learn about natural haircare. I've learn a lot about product ingredients, styles and other topics but I still need some guidance. I'm still trying to keep up with the lingo (sealant, prepoo, twa, bsl, etc). Forget it when it comes to curl type (4a, 3b, 4c, 4a/4b). I'm like are we picking out hair weave colors or what? lol.

I felt like I needed to stop switching up products so much and give something a chance. So for the last month this has been my regimen (don't laugh). Miss Jessies Creme de la Curl Shampoo, Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Condtioner, KBB Hair Milk, KBB Moisture Lock Hair Mask (Deep Cond), KBB Hair Cream (Twist, Daily Moisture). Its not working. I DO NOT wet my hair everyday anymore. I stop that a while ago once I read up on product ingredients to avoid with natural hair. I don't know what to try next. I've been reading different post by CN and other members and you guys have this down to a science. You mix different oils and butters to create your own little concoction. When I read about the Henna I had to pump the brakes and come back to beginners.

I wash my hair once a week and then I twist it and it does not come out right at all. Its always frizzy looking. The twist are not defined so I just throw on a head band and improvise. OMG...I could go on and on. I wish I knew someone who specialized in natural haircare. I just want to go to someone, sit in a chair and let them tell me what I need to do based on my hair type (If you live in Orlando, FL and you know someone please let me know).

Most Recent. Like a month ago so my hair is twice this length now.

So now I'm coming to you. Can you all help me?

CurlyB

[img][/img]
bbshawnae
bbshawnae

Back to top Go down

Confused and Going Broke!!! Empty Re: Confused and Going Broke!!!

Post by CurlsGalore 8th May 2010, 12:21 pm

Hi bbshawn! Welcome to CN and hopefully we can find something to solve your hair issues. In my opinion, our hair is much easier to maintain the TWA stage. Your TWA pics are super cute, btw!!!

Product overload can really cause some adverse effects. It's good to try the same products you use the most for at most, 30 days. This includes, shampoo/condition, leave-in, sealant (shea butter) or oils, moisturizer (Cantu), etc. It gives you time to see how your hair responds to a certain product; that way, you can decide what products to keep or toss. Unfortunately, it's all trial and error. You may have a similar texture with another curlie, but the products used may or may not respond the same way.

What products do you use that ARE working with your hair right now?
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 8th May 2010, 12:25 pm

hi bbshawn!! welcome, curly!!!

do you deep condish? what are u using to twist? wetting hair everyday (or as often it sees fit) is advantageous. don't back down from moisture.

once u find your staples, there is no way u can go broke unless u have severe pj'ism. if u saw the few products that are my staples n how i mix certain products with others (because i don't like wasting stuff n am cheap), u would lol while rotfl.

oh, and i live in orlando!!! come on over n introduce urself on the FL naturals thread!! we have met up once, and we had a fab time!!! can't wait for the next meetup!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by bbshawnae 8th May 2010, 4:24 pm

Thanks so much for responding ladies!!!

@CurlsGalore - I loved your Hair Idol spotlight!!! Those Chunky fro twist were super cute. Ok so, the products that are working for me right now. I really like the Karen's Body Beautiful Hair conditioner. My hair feels soft after use and easy to detangle. I've been using the same KBB products for a month now and I see a difference but I know it can be better. I don't know what I need to do about this itchy scalp. Maybe try a different shampoo or oil my scalp throughout the week. If you could see my hair right now it looks so dry. Its terrible!! I put on some of the KBB hair cream everyday. Also, I liked my twist outs better with MJ Curly Buttercreme better than the KBB hair cream I'm using right now. However, I would like my twists to be more defined.

@Dajewel - Hey my fellow FL girl. Thanks so much for the info about the FL threads and meetup. I'm going to definately look swing by introduce myself. I deep conditioner my hair every two weeks with Karen's Body Beautiful Moisture Lock Cream. I apply it...put on the plastic cap...sit under the dryer for 30min...then rinse. My hair feels great afterwards...very soft. For twists, I'm using the KBB hair cream. Ehhhhh, its not working well. My twists are not defined and my hair is still frizzy when I take them apart. I've tried twisting wet and dry.
bbshawnae
bbshawnae

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 8th May 2010, 4:39 pm

Thanks so much, BB! Well, it sounds like you're satisfied with your KBB conditioner. As for the shampoo, it may not be agreeing with your scalp. I've never used this product, so I'm unsure of the ingredients. Your itchy scalp may be 1 of 2 things: your hair is going thru it's growth stage and it's growing some more or a product is not scalp friendly. I used to have itchy scalp, too, but I started using Giovanni Triple Tea Treat Shampoo and I have little to no more itching. It's a nice, cool and tingling sensation on my scalp and it removes the buildup.

Do you put something under your hair cream when you apply it? Like a leave-in or a sealant? Maybe the hair cream by itself is drying your hair. Try using a leave-in or something like a sheabutter mix under your cream. I've found when I use a leave in with my moisturizer (like a cream), my twistouts are more defined and my hair feels moisturized.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 8th May 2010, 8:40 pm

ur welcome, BB!

as for a more defined and moisturized twist out: use aloe gel with the kbb cream. or better yet use the gel in a shea butter mix. i actually use the kbb cream to just daily condition the hair. i believe the cream is not thick enough for doing good twists, and so shea butter would be better. i agree with curlsgalore to use a leave-in.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by bbshawnae 10th May 2010, 6:01 am

Thanks for the info ladies...I really appreciate your guidance. I'm going to put it to use and let you know how it works.

BB
bbshawnae
bbshawnae

Back to top Go down

Post by bbshawnae 10th May 2010, 6:21 am

@dajewel - I do have one more question. When mixing the oils, shea butter and gel is there a certain amount I should mix together or just use my judgement. The shea butter I have has a more solid consistency so can I melt it in the microwave (just a little) before mixing with the aloe vera gel?
bbshawnae
bbshawnae

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 10th May 2010, 8:37 am

hey girl welcome to CN!!

I remember when I transitioned I almost went broke cuz I was just trying stuff because I saw how it worked for others, then I tried it and it didnt work all that great for my hair!!
I suggest definitely checking out the natural hair community on youtube, they offer great advice and product suggestions that are good alternatives to the costly hair products. I really started experimenting with different kinds of oils and hair products myself. I use the herbal essences hydralicious and hello hydration conditioners which are not expensive at all. I buy different oils like jojoba, extra virgin olive, and sweet almond oil and i mix these with unrefined shea butter for my braid outs and twist outs. These products arent expensive and really last a long time....Alot of times, us as newly naturalistas, dont realize that we have to use ALOT more product on our hair than when we were relaxed and thats why things can be more costly because we use more and have to Re-up more...

HOpe this helps Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th May 2010, 10:58 am

u can use ur own judgement. i do. i don't pre-mix cuz am lazy Neutral
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by bbshawnae 10th May 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanks so much for the advice Brownskindiva...I'm going to keep you guys updated on my progress.
bbshawnae
bbshawnae

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 10th May 2010, 1:34 pm

I think your TWA looks great!

As for the stash of products you've been developing I know how you feel. One thing that really helped me was reading the labels and using only one product at a time. I've found that my hair does better when I don't mix everything together. I like to experiment, but after a few bouts of really dry hair I learned the hard way. Try doing a process of elimination for a couple of weeks. If all else fails leftover shampoo can be used as body wash and conditioner makes great shaving cream. Oh and moisture is your friend.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down