CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If it ain't broke...

+2
Naturally Esq
Free2Be
6 posters

Go down

If it ain't broke... Empty If it ain't broke...

Post by Free2Be 9th October 2010, 8:44 pm

So this week I spent hours and hours catching up on my YouTube subscriptions and searching for new ideas on styling. If you've read any of my posts you know I'm usually complaining about having no luck with twistouts, so I did a search on WNG's. Now, the stupid thing is I have the WNG down...or I should since it's all I've been doing for a year.

So a million videos later, I get the bright idea to follow "everyone else's" suggestion of sectioning the hair and using basically the shingling method on my hair. I had somewhere to go today too. So I separated my hair into 4 sections and started on the back section working in my leave-in, then oil, then styler (MJ Curly Pudding...no, no, NO!). *This is my usual process, but I do it on my whole head at once, not section by section and I have NOT been using MJ. Brain fart on my part.

1) Brushing and/or combing my hair with product in it STRAIGHTENS my curls...it does not define them. They were more defined and bouncy and cute straight out of the shower.

2) MJ Curly Pudding is a heffa. She does not play well with others. White balls, sticky residue, sandy-looking hair strands, etc. after adding that on top of my leave-in (Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In). Literally, my head looked like I'd been swimming in the ocean, then rolled around in the sand for fun.

3) I had to rinse my head in the sink really quickly because I was running late and then blot with a t-shirt and try to start over styling, i.e. scrunching without adding more product, as I was afraid what might happen.

So, today I learned a hard lesson: stick with my tried and true method and don't be swayed by awesome results of YouTubers, who may or may not even share my hair type, texture, etc. Just because someone may be 3b, 3c, 4a, whatever, does NOT mean your hair is exactly the same and will react in the same manner to the same styling.

I don't know what's up with my curls, but they do not like to be fooled with...the less manipulation, the better. Scrunching works for my curls. By only using my hands/fingers I am able to maintain my hair's spiraly, S-pattern. The minute ANY brush or comb enters the picture I begin to look like wet dog.

So, if it ain't broke...stop watching YouTube. Very Happy *Thanks for bearing with me...
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

If it ain't broke... Empty Re: If it ain't broke...

Post by Naturally Esq 10th October 2010, 12:14 am

I also learned to only try new products and/or styling techniques when I do not have plans to go out.

When you know better, you do better sunny
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 11th October 2010, 12:40 pm

I totally agree. I have made the same type of mistakes!
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 11th October 2010, 12:48 pm

I agree 100%. This is the reason why I pretty much STOPPED watching YouTube. I know what my hair needs, I know what works, I don't need anything else.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 11th October 2010, 12:54 pm

I like to try hairstyles at home before I go out also. On a last minute basis, probably from excitement, I have tried styles not knowing how it would last.. If it doesn't turn out right *shrugs* oh well I'll try again next time. Those YT videos can get you so excited lol, but if your method works, stick to it!
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th October 2010, 7:57 pm

I definitely only try new stuff on my telework days, so I don't go out looking crazy.

I'm still watching YouTube because I have alot to learn. Reading the boards sometimes confuses me. I guess I'm more visual.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th October 2010, 7:58 pm

BTW - have you tried Miracurl Curling Jelly? I love it for my wash n gos.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 11th October 2010, 8:16 pm

Renny, I haven't tried Miracurl. I tried to order something from that line and it was always out of stock. I think that's the one.

Well, listen to this. I have a hard head. How many times do I have to try these darn twists before I give up? I keep saying I'm not going to try again, but I do. I just spent almost 4 hours twisting tiny little snakey twists all over, based on KinkyKurlyQueen's mini twists. *sigh*

1) They wouldn't stay together...I used a tiny dab of DB's Madagascar Vanilla styling creme on the ends and nada.

2) Watching several videos, most of the ladies did a rinse after they finished to help the ends curl up. Mine came APART!!!

I am not even going to take a picture today to show you all. I have it wrapped up now and I'm hoping it will thicken up tomorrow (yes, I have enough space between the twists to land a small plane on) and I can maybe fluff it out.

I'm so bummed. I think I won't give up completely until maybe I find a stylist to do the twists for me and when that person gets snakey twists and tarmac yardage between them, I'll know my hair is just not made for them. *I'll just continue to drool over the twists the rest of y'all rock all the time. Sad
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th October 2010, 8:52 pm

Oh no. Poor thing. I'm so sorry for you. Sad Four hours. Oh dear.

How do you like the vanilla creme? I put madagscar on my hair this weekend and it dried up instantly. I had to wash it out.

I used to twist when I was transitioning with ORS twist and lock, it was a dream come true, but I used perm rods and sat under the dryer. I don't have enough hair for all that now. I'm waiting until Spring to try again. I'm determined to wait until my hair is longer. Have you ever tried using a setting lotion at the ends or using rods?

I get the Miracurl on the ground here in Atlanta at a shop downtown.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 11th October 2010, 9:14 pm

I think I'm going to have to get rid of the Mad. Vanilla styling creme. One, it doesn't really have any hold to speak of. Two, I get tired of having to stir it up every day and I refuse to put it in the fridge. LOL But I love the strong vanilla scent. My problem is that straight shea butter is too heavy for my hair. I need more of a lotion-like product for moisture and styling, which is why I stick with conditioners for both.

Thanks for the idea of the rods. I may try to use those tomorrow, no matter what, just to switch things up.

On a happier note, my brother walked in not long ago and instead of saying something hateful about my scarf-wrapped head, he tousled the untwisted twists on top and said, "Wow. Your hair feels so soft!" Yay for Aussie Moist as a leave-in!!! *two thumbs up*

Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th October 2010, 11:45 pm

LOL. Nice compliment. I can't use shea either. It has to be like 5 or 6 on the ingredient list. I'm so at the beginning of the learning curve. I've been looking at Aussie Moist for awhile. I'm trying to control the PJ.

I'm not putting anything in the frig either. Too much trouble. Aloe Vera gel and juice are it for the frig.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down