CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you?

+15
splitsun
Hairlosophy
CurlsGalore
Juices-n-Berries
tashafawn24
QuietButterfly
Lynnieluve
TMS
ChrsLvsBks
Chef Lucy
sweetdrk1
NikG20
NylaCoils
EmbracingNaturalMe
swoodward
19 posters

Go down

Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you? Empty Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you?

Post by swoodward 4th May 2010, 10:02 pm

I was over at "Is 4b/c Hair Frowned Upon?" (sorry i can't put a link in on this site to save my life) and Tiashauntee said something that really made me think. My sis just bc'd and when she told me what her hair type was I wasn't sure if that was her type, or what any type was. Now I wonder what my type is. Pictures ain't doin' it for me. So should matter? Is a crutch? Should I care what my type is?
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you? Empty Re: Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you?

Post by EmbracingNaturalMe 4th May 2010, 10:16 pm

IMO I say we should not be concerned what hair type we are. We should just be concerned about growing a healthy head of hair. We should love the head of hair God gave us and not compare our hair to someone else's. When I first started my transition, I got caught up in the hype of hair typing. Now since I BC'd, I realize that hair typing is not important. I look for people who have similar hair as mine only to get styling ideas and products ideas.
EmbracingNaturalMe
EmbracingNaturalMe

Back to top Go down

Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you? Empty Re: Tiashauntee made me think - Has hair typing been useful to you?

Post by NylaCoils 4th May 2010, 10:23 pm

It really hasn't been useful to me, at all! I know when, I went natural this time, I was looking for a hair twin, thinking what worked for their hair would work for mine.

NOT!!!!

My hair twin was using all kinds of stuff my hair hates!

Glycerin
Olive Oil
Protein
Aloe Vera Gel
Just to name a few!

All I want is healthy hair!!!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 10:28 pm

The only useful thing it has really done for us is it guided me to the 4a board on NaturallyCurly. I remember back when I first visited NC I had no idea where to go, then a natural told me what my daughter's hair type (on a different website) was so I went to the 4a section and everyone had hair like my daughters! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol Otherwise, no, I have not found it useful. Lately I have been seeing threads that are just way too confusing. It doesn't seem like anyone really knows what 3c or 4a hair is anyway! Everyone has their own idea as to what each type is, so it's interesting I guess.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 4th May 2010, 10:29 pm

here is my hair type...mine

*walks away*
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Chef Lucy 4th May 2010, 10:39 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:here is my hair type...mine

*walks away*

AMEN! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hair "typing" is confusing and has done nothing for me...other than confuse me! I could care less...I'm just trying to whip my hair back into shape. God gave us all beautiful hair, it's up to us to embrace it, love it, and indulge in our fabulosity! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Chef Lucy
Chef Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th May 2010, 10:47 pm

Hair typing in the general sense has not helped me one bit. It did confuse the heck out of me as I looked at pictures on various websites. It is subjective and like sweet so concisely put it my hair type is "mine."

I will say knowing your hair's texture, elasticity, porosity and density is key. The most important ones, IMO, are texture and elasticity. Unlike hair typing, these are objective and more useful. If you find someone who's hair is similar in texture and elasticity, you can likely use the products they use with similar results. Want to find out more, please check out CN's The Curl Whisperer, Tiffany Anderson. Her website and e-book have been invaluable. The site is livecurlylivefree.com.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 4th May 2010, 11:02 pm

So far the only thing that has helped me is the hair porosity water test. I believe knowing your hair porosity will guide you in the right direction in terms of what products are best for your hair.

Here are a few links regarding hair porosity:

http://blackhairbeauty.blogspot.com/2008/08/hair-porosity.html

http://www.googobits.com/articles/1826-is-your-hair-healthy-take-the-strand-test-and-find-out.html

from mydivinehair.net:

The porosity of your hair is determined by it’s ability to absorb moisture. A lot of times our hair goes through so many changes such as coloring, relaxing and exposure to heat. These changes can alter our hair’s porosity. Hair that is highly porous is easily susceptible to over-processing and drying due to it’s ability to absorb chemicals and heat faster.

Roux Porosity Control pH 4.5 Corrector & Conditioner equalizes hair porosity for uniform color, perm, or relaxing results. This product is recommended for use before chemical treatment to prevent chemical shock. Roux Porosity Control can be purchased at Sally’s and various other online beauty stores.

Hair Porosity Test

1. In order to test your hair porosity, you will need to fill your sink up with water or utilize a large bowl filled with water.
  2. Take a piece of hair that has recently shed and place it in the water filled sink/bowl. (Personally, I would do this with a clean strand of hair meaning no products - freshly shampooed).
  3. Healthy hair should float because it has a sealed cuticle and therefore does not absorb water.
  4. Excessively porous hair has open cuticle which will soak up water and sink.

*The most important treatment and products for porous hair are those with protein and moisture. Protein is needed to fill the holes in porous hair also providing strength.

HTH
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 4th May 2010, 11:22 pm

NylaCoils - the same for me and my hair twin (Eden) Her hair hates the things my hair loves.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 4th May 2010, 11:25 pm

Hair typing really hasn't helped me either. I used to search for ladies with a similar hair type and get all excited when I saw what they could do with their hair, cause I thought mine would do the same thing.......NOT!!! My hair is my hair and its not gonna look or act like anybody elses but my own.

Thanks Chrs and TMS for the info, I'll definitely be checking out those websites.
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 4th May 2010, 11:53 pm

The hair typing thing has done nothing but confused me also! I think it's just another system to try to bring a wedge between women of color. As if the line isn't drawn enough between relaxed and natural women; the hair typing thing wants to pin naturals against other naturals. Then the whole "Good Hair" subject comes back up within the natural hair community.

Some people claim that by knowing your hair type you can find products that work for your hair but what I found is that what works for you works for you no matter what the hair type. So that's a bunch of boo!

Many of us have more than one type so why try to put ourselves in a box or model to fit a mold?
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 5th May 2010, 10:58 pm

Whoa, everyone's avatar looks so beautiful. I have more ideas now!

afro
Yes, thanks Chrs and TMS for the info, it seems that there is a more USEFUL way to look at hair.

At first when I was transitioning, i guessed a random hair type from the way my new growth looked. But as everyone who has already BCd knows, my hair was COMPLETELY different after the relaxed hair was gone. Plus, different products make my hair look and behave differently. Length is another factor.

When my sister said she was a 4c I stopped in my tracks. Her hair has nothing BUT O shaped curls, there isn't a single z shape in there. I was thinking - half the sites don't even mention C. I went looking for typing again and on one site saw Beyonce listed as type 3 something. I don't even know what her hair looks like! I don't know if anyone has seen it since 2000!

Still, people I talked to seemed to get something out of it. I thought it was just me...I know one thing though - I no longer can subcategorize my 4. I give up.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 6th May 2010, 12:15 am

There actually isn't a such thing as 4c hair according to Andre. I think it was created because so many people with a defined curl pattern for whatever reason (confusion or otherwise) claimed to be 4b. And when girls with the z shape or no defined pattern discovered that their hair did not behave in the same manner, I think they just added a category.

Hair typing is nothing but confusing and misleading.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 6th May 2010, 12:17 am

Not really. I just know I have head full of S curls and O curls = super curly hair! I really don't classify my hair in a category. It's somewhat of a silly concept. The # system seems to rank hair types from good to bad, fine to course, thin to thick, etc.; in that order. I think it's just another way for our people to feel inferior when it comes to their hair, in my opinion.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairlosophy 6th May 2010, 12:34 am

Chef Lucy wrote:
sweetdrk1 wrote:here is my hair type...mine

*walks away*

AMEN! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hair "typing" is confusing and has done nothing for me...other than confuse me! I could care less...I'm just trying to whip my hair back into shape. God gave us all beautiful hair, it's up to us to embrace it, love it, and indulge in our fabulosity! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I agree, I never understood hair typing at all. All I know is I want my hair type as "healthy". Cool
Hairlosophy
Hairlosophy

http://www.hairlosophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 7th May 2010, 11:01 am

1. I'm still confused about hair typing.

2. I use products that everyone suggests once it may beneficial to my hair's health.

3. Um....maybe it works for some people?
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 7th May 2010, 11:14 am

I think it's time to rename "hair type" to "curl size" because that's what the current number/letter combo refers to (1a - 4c). It does not describe the other qualities of hair that help with product selection, such as porosity, strand thickness, density, etc.

And it's been said many times over.. just because someone's hair looks like yours doesn't mean that you can do with your own hair what they do. I found that out by protective styling for nearly a year and suffering tons of breakage.. just because other "3c" ladies can bun, twist, braid, etc. doesn't mean I can (although I wish I could).

My hair is fine, porous, dry, fluffy, and not very dense.. soo using those descriptive properties (not the size of my curl) I should limit protective styles, use protein/amla regularly, and give my hair lots of moisture to keep it in balance.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 7th May 2010, 12:53 pm

I like the curl size idea, that sounds more realistic and less dividing
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 8th May 2010, 12:32 pm

me too. You're right - i feel a good hair bad hair vibe.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 8th May 2010, 6:32 pm

In my case this typing system has been somewhat pointless. I know I'm in the "type 4" category, but if there are only three subgroups, then why do I have about 5-7 different size curls on my head?????? And if personA has 3c hair and so does personB, then why in the world does their hair look totally different..... I think this typing system (1-4, a-c) is waaay too limited, and just creates more division. The other typing system (L.O.I.S.) seems more promising though, it does not have a graded system that seems to go from "good" to "bad".
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetRitzy 10th May 2010, 12:21 am

I looove, love, love y'all's pics. Your hair is beautiful, wonderful and gorgeous!! I don't care what type you are. I just think you all are a fantastic sight to behold.

I'm newly BC'd and quite confuzzled by the typing system. I got all different sizes and kinds of curls on my head, along with a huge clump of straight hairs (ain't permed since '06...had them since I was a baby). Being Jamaican, my ancesty is alll over the map.

I'm just happy my hair is now getting healthier and hopefully perpetually growing longer. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I can't wait for the day when my 1/2 inch o' hair grows out a bit more to attempt the hairstyles i'm seeing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SweetRitzy
SweetRitzy

http://www.ritzysweetandsaucy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down