CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in!

+50
Serenity23
ktoliver5303
Vee
.:Eden:.
neethair
Nikcoils
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
lovesunshine17
DvaAuNaturel
CrissyQ
Muz
MellowOne
truet
LaToya28
Karyn
mstokes2008
mochamoments
poeticlyspkng
Yellagirlcurls
CocaColaCutie
jcanalena79
NubieNatty
MahoganyCurls
SimplyShainee
CocoEuro
Shauny
Cherry: extraordinary!
d.denise
tiashaunteƩ
AfrikanLatina
p_nuttie43
missmoriah
TerraD
curly+kinky+fierce
Mz. Thang
krazy coils
FemmeFox
MsJay1121
Pinkrage
KinkyNappyHappy
Intelligentbeauty
ChrsLvsBks
Curlz of Luv
BlondeByDesire
Juices-n-Berries
StephanieB
Lynnieluve
SheeTacular
sweetdrk1
bholmes87
54 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Empty bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in!

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 3:09 pm

bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Icon_rr Hey natural beauties!! This is bholmes coming at you with lots of info about something I love and am soooo excited about. MY HAIR!!!!
Since I'm new to CN.com I wanted to start by giving the basics on my hair. I have no idea when my first relaxer was but it's been as long as I can remember (I'm guessing about 3rd grade or so - my memory doesn't go too far back lol). I have always been extremeley, utterly and painfully tender-headed! But my mom would still put that creamy crack on my poor, sensitive scalp *tear*
Over the summer I almost always had braids - either dooky braids, micros, or cornrows. I HATED getting my hair braided because it felt like my hair was getting ripped out. And most likely it was. But I would rather have my hair braided than sit through the torture of the DUN-DUN-DUN .... pressing comb! Eek!!
My hair was thick even with relaxers so after getting lyed, Moms would shampoo about 4-5 times (ya'll know about that neutralizer poo), condition and blow dry. Then I would have to sit for another hour and a half being scared of the hot comb. Not the business at all bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Icon_mad
Then I started caring for my hair, or better yet NOT taking care of my hair. I was pretty much indifferent about my hair during middle and high school. There were a few occassions when I would come out the shop feeling good about my tresses, but most of the time it was a nuisance and I definitely didn't love it. I had always envied people with curly hair, not just nappies but all curls. It was always so excited and beautiful to me. But I would look at my new growth and be convinved that my natural hair would not be manageable. After all, I could barely manage the relaxed hair!
My hair would grow with relaxer but never past shoulder length. I've never been obsessed with how long my hair is because, well, it had never been long! So I was fine with the short to medium dos. Basically my hair in high school was as follows: it was down in a wrap or up in a ponytail. Period. There was no variation, no creativity, no fun, at least not for me. I left all that up to my sister because I couldn't (and still can't) braid or flat twist or do anything except run a flat iron through my hair. I had never even had a weave. Can we say BORING!?!? *yawn*
Then I went to college. I started to see natural curls all around me!!! It was beautiful and I had some curl envy for sure. But since most of the people that wore their hair natural were mixed or what I thought was "not straight black" (I was so ignorant *sigh*) I still didn't think I could transition. Besides that fact, my Mom seemed to think that the only presentable hairstyle was bone straight. And I was getting sick and tired of that look.
Until one day my friend told me that she was going natural and she introduced me to youtube. When I say I was addicted it's no joke!!!! I would be on youtube for 4 hours or more a day because I was inspired and awed by the natural hair information available to me. I had never heard of transitioning, the BC, twistouts, bantu knots, shingling, pre poos, co washes or any of the other numerous terms that I now know. It wasn't until 2007-2008 school year that I realized that I NEEDED to go natural. I needed to feel unique and beautiful and stylish.
So that's what I did. I started the transtion journey. YAY!!!! And during that time I was on youtube every day looking at styles I wanted to try and turning into a wannabe product junkie - without the money to buy all the products I wanted. Lol. I still hadn't discovered fotki until mid 2009 and now I have an added addiction. I can browse through those pictures all day (I'm sure some of you can understand and relate).
So I've given you the basics of my hair journey and will definitely add some pictures so that you can understand even more about my hair. I look forward to connecting with all of you soon and very soon : )

Peace and blessings,
B

Last edited by bholmes87 on 17th May 2010, 4:48 pm; edited 27 times in total
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Empty Re: bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in!

Post by sweetdrk1 8th February 2010, 3:35 pm

Welcome to the family!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Empty Re: bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in!

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 4:12 pm

Thank you sweetdrk! I'm still kind of confused as to how this forum is supposed to work but I'm figuring it out slowly. lol
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 8th February 2010, 4:38 pm

Welcome!!! I had to laugh at dooky braids...its been a while since I heard it.

Last edited by SheeTacular_Napps on 8th February 2010, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th February 2010, 4:42 pm

Welcome to the challenge!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 5:04 pm

@Shee: Haha I had to speak the truth!! You know we all had them at some point or another ... lol thanks for welcoming me!!!!

Last edited by bholmes87 on 5th May 2010, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 5:05 pm

@Lynnie: Yay!! I can't wait to get this show on the road. Now I've added another obsession on top of all the others now ... lol

Last edited by bholmes87 on 5th May 2010, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 8th February 2010, 6:07 pm

I know what you mean about discovering the hair videos on YouTube. When my husband sees me on the computer he'll ask, "Are you looking at hair videos AGAIN?" lol They're so addictive and inspirational.

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 8th February 2010, 6:37 pm

I used to be addicted to Facebook. Now I'm addicted to natural hair websites. Welcome to the thread. You can start by posting some pics of your relaxed hair and natural hair now. Then daily give us updates and pics of styles, products, or any revelations you have along your journey. Welcome!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 8th February 2010, 6:44 pm

Hello and welcome...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 9:00 pm

StephanieB wrote:I know what you mean about discovering the hair videos on YouTube. When my husband sees me on the computer he'll ask, "Are you looking at hair videos AGAIN?" lol They're so addictive and inspirational.

Haha I surely do know! All my friends are always asking me, "Are you STILL watching videos on youtube?" lol but I just can't get enough!!!!
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 9:02 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:I used to be addicted to Facebook. Now I'm addicted to natural hair websites. Welcome to the thread. You can start by posting some pics of your relaxed hair and natural hair now. Then daily give us updates and pics of styles, products, or any revelations you have along your journey. Welcome!

I'm still a little low key addicted to facebook but I'm WAY more addicted to hair sites! And thank you so much for giving me ideas on what to post cuz I was at a loss ... lol
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 9:03 pm

thanks BlondbyDesire! I'm definitely feeling welcome by everyone bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Icon_biggrin

Last edited by bholmes87 on 8th February 2010, 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out a word)
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th February 2010, 11:31 pm

So I found some pictures of my hair when it was relaxed, most of them from 2005-06:

I wore braids quite often, especially in the summer because permies don't like water. lol
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Memori10

I got my stunna shades on
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Memori11

The norm - shoulder length hair
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Relaxe10

It's a little longer ...
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Memori12

FRESH out the shop! I thought I was so cute. smh
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Memori13

Lots of shine, but I'm not really happy with my hair (as you can probably tell by my face)
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Life_a10

I couldn't take any pictures off of facebook because it wouldn't let me but that's where I started - super straight hair. My idea of style has changed sooooo much in the past year it's ridiculous! I'm just crazy about curls what can I say bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! 617583
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 8th February 2010, 11:51 pm

Welcome!!

I can't wait to see pics of your curly hair. The natural websites/you tube is so very addicting. I tell my husband knowledge is power and since I have 3 curly heads of hair (mine and 2 daughters). I have to be well informed on the newest products and styles..lol..
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th February 2010, 12:03 am

You are so right! I want to know as much as possible about my hair because it impacts my life everyday!! It can truly make a difference in the way I feel when I walk out the house. And I'm just beginning to learn about my curls! So I have a lot more info to learn. I added you on fotki too bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Icon_biggrin
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 9th February 2010, 12:24 am

Thanks! I have to update my fotki. I added you also.

My girls are out of school on Monday maybe I will get a chance this weekend.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th February 2010, 12:46 am

Yeah whenever you get the chance just let me know cuz I'll probably forget! lol
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th February 2010, 2:49 am

Welcome, have fun and feel free to share what you are doing with your hair!

I love looking at hair sites, YT videos and going to fotki. Not enough hours in the day sometimes--I have to make myself get up from the 'puter most days *hmmmph.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 9th February 2010, 2:54 am

I can't see the pics? :-( What happened?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th February 2010, 4:20 am

@ChrsLvsBks: I will definitely be posting! I feel like you guys are the only ones that will tolerate me talking about my hair for so long ... lol everyone else is like are you done talking about hair yet? Of course not! I'm just getting started!!

@Juices-and-Berries: I don't know why you can't see the pictures!! Hopefully it was just an error
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 9th February 2010, 5:31 am

There was something wrong with my browser. I can see the pics now.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 9th February 2010, 9:15 am

Welcome and good luck with your hair journey.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th February 2010, 4:05 pm

Thank God it's Tuesday!! bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Icon_sunny
Since I'm still in the introductory period, I wanted to add some pictures of my transitioning journey, which was approximately a year long (December 08-December 09). My staple style during the transition was bantu knot outs. They were my favorite, they were easy, the results were always different and I loved seeing my hair curly for a change! Honestly when I look back on the transition phase, I don't know how I did it. It wasn't always difficult and I had a lot of fun, but it was so long and I was always anxious to see my curls and I wouldn't want to do it again to be honest. If I did ABSOLUTELY HAVE to do it again, it would only be for about 3-4 months. Anyhoo, I'll post some pics from the transition after class today, and tomorrow I'll bring it up to date with natural hair pics from December 09 to Febraury 10!!
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th February 2010, 7:29 pm

Alright here are the pics! Hopefully they all work:

The only time my hair was straightened during the transiition
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Straig11

My most frequent style: bantu knot outs!
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Bantu110
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Bantu210

Braids and braid outs
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Braids10
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Braids11

I did a few buns, usually baggied underneath
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Buns10

All the extensions: kinky twists, micros, weaves, half wig
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Extens10
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Extens11

Some of my fros
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Fros10

Puffin it up
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Puffs110
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Puffs210

My other favorites were twists and twist outs
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Twists10
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Twists13

And lastly I needed to show a few texture shots
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Textur10
bholmes87: twist challenge week 5!! Let's get it in! Textur11

So that's been my transition journey! Tomorrow I'll add some pics of the BC and slowly catch up to the present day. Most of these pics were made as animated avatars so if they don't work, I apologize!! But you should get to see at least one pic of each style afro

Last edited by bholmes87 on 10th February 2010, 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixin pics)
bholmes87
bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next