CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Typing Troubles

+2
mverde3
SwirlyCurls90
6 posters

Go down

Hair Typing Troubles Empty Hair Typing Troubles

Post by SwirlyCurls90 2nd October 2010, 7:56 am

Hey ladies Smile I have been trying to figure out my hair type for a very long time, but my hair doesn't seem to fit any of the descriptions in the hair typing guide, so I just guess. When I look at the size of my individual curls, some are the size of my finger, others are the size of a straw, and some in between. On my front hairline I have a few pieces that are very tightly curled (like the size of a toothpick, literally). It's silkier in the back and at the nape and I get good definition there, but in the middle it is far from silky and I see no definition at all unless I examine individual pieces. They just don't clump together. It also only curls up when its dry. When wet, it has little waves. The 4a description, says "tightly curled hair with a clearly visible curl pattern". My hair doesn't look like the 4a hair in the pictures (curls not as defined and bunched up) but it is dull like the 4a hair. Anybody have hair like this? Maybe its a lot of textures together. Or maybe the hard water on my campus is damaging my hair so bad that I'll never be able to really tell. Also, I have no baby hairs... All the hair along my hairline grows as long as the rest of my hair. I read a lot on natural hair sites about "how to slick down those troublesome baby hairs", like its a normal thing...but I don't have any, and I'm wondering if thats normal lol. I have never been able to find a solid category that my hair fits into so WHY IS THIS HAIR TYPING BUSINESS SO DANG IMPORTANT? I have yet to figure that out.

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Hair Typing Troubles Empty Re: Hair Typing Troubles

Post by mverde3 2nd October 2010, 10:03 am

Hair typing is only important to the eye of the beholder. I don't even bother typing my hair because I know I don't have time to and I never saw the point to. But there are others who hair type and it makes them happy to know what kind of curls they have. As long as you are enjoying your hair and taking care of it, I figure all is well Smile
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by abovealltherest 2nd October 2010, 5:24 pm

Hair typing to me is not necessary. What is the point of sterotyping your hair? No two heads are the same nor are any two curls/coils the same. Some say typing your hair helps you find products and styles, but I don't think that helps either. I have seen people whos hair looks similar to mine and what they use on their hair my hair eats it up and laughs Razz. Just my opinion! Very Happy
abovealltherest
abovealltherest

http://www.fotki.com/abovealltherest

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd October 2010, 6:09 pm

Hair typing has been helpful to me in finding products and styling. I have a mixture of 4a/b. I have tight curls through most of my hair except for the front and my edges which are 4b and somedays 4c. It sounds like you have a mixture of types and texures, and that is what most of us have.

I have never been able to find my "baby hairs' and if I did, I am not sure how to get them to lie down and why that is important.
HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd October 2010, 6:22 pm

I gave up on hair typing system a long time ago.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 2nd October 2010, 7:43 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I gave up on hair typing system a long time ago.
yea it just doesn't seem to work for me ...or most people. I don't know any naturals with 1 consistent type throughout their head.

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 2nd October 2010, 8:48 pm

I too gave up on the hair typing - not sure it really matters. It seems like trial and error with different products is the way to go.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down